Disney and Prices

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Obviously we all know that some Disney prices are too high for what it's worth. Hotels for example are outrageous high. Even some prices in major cities are not that high.

For food, some of Disney is rather the same as the rest of the world. For example, brunch at a hotel near my house is $54 a person. Granted it's a 5 star hotel but still rather pricey.

I know a bottle of soda was $2 where I worked. I don't know about Disney for I don't buy soda or dasani. I like Honest Tea but I know of only 1 place to buy while at Disney (MK).

Speaking of tea. I bought a 100 pack of Twining's Earl Grey for $9...at Disney, a single serving of tea was $3 (restaurant).

What are some of your price comparisons?

bethymouse

When I price things, I compare them to what you can pay off site. A suite at Embassy Suites costs about the same as a value resort at Disney. A good steak dinner at one of the restaurants off site including appetizers ( dinner for 4) can cost maybe around 100$ drinks included. A good steak dinner at the Yachtsman can cost 65$ just for one porterhouse steak! However, a character meal at Chef Mickey's will also cost you a little over 100$. I guess it's all in how you look at it. Personally, I'd pay a bit extra to stay on site. Meal prices can get a bit pricey, but if you're eating out these days at a decent restaurant, it will cost you up to and over 100$. Just MHO.;)

Tom

Beta Return
Disney's prices are "worth it" as long as guests are willing to pay those prices. As soon as you pay a price, you've accepted that the product/experience you receive is worth that amount of money, to you.

We may not like the prices, but we pay them. There will indeed become a point where they set prices beyond what most guests consider their product worth. The price of their admission tickets is quickly reaching that point, I fear.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I never compare stuff like that, whats the point, If I want to do something I look to get the best price I can, then do it.

I do hate paying rip off fees for city hotel parking, but its all part of the game. That said on this trip 50% of our main meals will be off site and we will have a day less at WDW & a day more up the road.

Bparso87

Let's be honest Disney has done it perfectly for bussniess. They basically have a monopoly on property bc how many ppl stay on site and never leave. But u can look at it the other way that some of the higher prices pay for the free transportation and other free perks. I know I don't leave the property very often but I know I might have to pay 4 dollars for cream cheese for my morning bagel

Tom

Beta Return
Let's be honest Disney has done it perfectly for bussniess. They basically have a monopoly on property bc how many ppl stay on site and never leave. But u can look at it the other way that some of the higher prices pay for the free transportation and other free perks. I know I don't leave the property very often but I know I might have to pay 4 dollars for cream cheese for my morning bagel

Correct, the costs to main 40+ square miles of private property are built into the prices of everything, especially hotel rates.

RCID doesn't pay for itself. It's funded through taxes, which are paid by the businesses on property, which is primarily Disney.

Britt

I try not to think about the cost too much while I'm there. We're not big spenders....we don't buy snacks (unless it's something we can split) we don't buy toys and crap from the shops....we bring our own water (I hate Dasani and FL water).

I am definitely not their target guest....we've stayed off site, ate off site and I love the variety. :)

draybook

For the four of us to go to Hawaii from Memphis is $4200 for airfare, hotel and rental car. That's the lowest I could find. That doesn't include food, gas, resort fees and any other misc spending. That's only for 4 nights. For $3800 we are getting resort stay, tickets and free dining at WDW. That's for 10 nights. Add in the $800 to fly and it's about even. It's a no brainer for us.

Animaniac93-98

For the four of us to go to Hawaii from Memphis is $4200 for airfare, hotel and rental car. That's the lowest I could find. That doesn't include food, gas, resort fees and any other misc spending. That's only for 4 nights. For $3800 we are getting resort stay, tickets and free dining at WDW. That's for 10 nights. Add in the $800 to fly and it's about even. It's a no brainer for us.

On a similar note, it costs me nearly as much to fly to NYC or Chicago as it does to Orlando. As expensive as it is, Orlando provides me better value than other city destinations in the USA or Canada, which is why I keep going back. That and I still have fun and it gives me a chance to escape the winter.

Having said that, Disney park ticket prices are nuts and as a result I'm spending less time at their parks than at UNI. Or at least substituting days with event party tickets.

R W B

I don't understand why people complain about prices. If you think wdw's prices are too high, stop going! I don't go on vacation to pinch pennies, I go to have a great time. Yes, I can go off site and get a high quality steak dinner for a lot less then on Disney property. Yes, I can also stay off site at a 3bd room condo for $75/night but I choose to pay higher prices to be on Disney property. If I wanted to eat and stay off site, I'd visit Orlando the city and not WDW. Like said previously, I'll gladly over pay for a soda, hamburger, pretzel or a steak to continue to get "free" transportation on property amoung many other perks. I recently read the water treatment facility on Disney Property is larger then any of the parks, that has to be for somehow.

I use to have a Trans Am but really wanted a Corvette, I didnt complain about the pricing of the Vette, I just made the best with my Trans Am. IMO, If you want to pay cheaper prices go to a smaller theme park and make the best of it.

Animaniac93-98

One thing I've found about Orlando hotel rates is that if you want a 3-star hotel in the area, you're looking at paying at least $100*. And that $100 is a base that does not include parking, internet, gym use, "resort fees" or whatever else is hidden.

Disney rooms are overpriced, but they are at least up-front about it. I'd also rather pay $80 to stay at POP, than $80 to stay at some random Days Inn off I-192.

*yes I know about hotwire, but I'm not a big fan of opaque booking engines. I'd like to know where I'm staying before handing over the credit card, especially in a tourist area as spread out as Orlando.

Kristamouse

Any captive audience venue is overpriced or food/water/etc . I spend as much on food at Baseball and football games, the local water park, Great Wolf Lodge and at King Island as I do on quick service locals on property. And Disney food is much better and has far more healthy options.
Parking at the WDW parks is on par with sporting events, concerts, and other amusement parks as well.
We aren't into merchandise other than ornaments at WDW or anywhere else so I can't compare there.
Two thing I did notice that were a deal at WDW were:
the umbrella style strollers in gift shop were less or on par to Targets/Babies R Us prices.
Stroller fan, we had a Babies r Us one and it broke day 2, found the Mickey fan that was bigger, sturdier ( still have it and have lent it out a few times) and much much cuter! It was about 5.00 cheaper in the park!
One other thing, WDW let's you bring in a KFC meal and eat it as long as no knives...I've seen it. Don't want to pay them pack back a PB&J and coke. I know for a fact put local water park won't even let you being in water bottles.

Car01:)

Any captive audience venue is overpriced or food/water/etc . I spend as much on food at Baseball and football games, the local water park, Great Wolf Lodge and at King Island as I do on quick service locals on property. And Disney food is much better and has far more healthy options.
Parking at the WDW parks is on par with sporting events, concerts, and other amusement parks as well.
We aren't into merchandise other than ornaments at WDW or anywhere else so I can't compare there.
Two thing I did notice that were a deal at WDW were:
the umbrella style strollers in gift shop were less or on par to Targets/Babies R Us prices.
Stroller fan, we had a Babies r Us one and it broke day 2, found the Mickey fan that was bigger, sturdier ( still have it and have lent it out a few times) and much much cuter! It was about 5.00 cheaper in the park!
One other thing, WDW let's you bring in a KFC meal and eat it as long as no knives...I've seen it. Don't want to pay them pack back a PB&J and coke. I know for a fact put local water park won't even let you being in water bottles.

I definitely luv me some Disney, this July was r 12th trip. But the prices of food items can b crazy. R dinning plan included a snack, counter service & table service per day. I would like a real breakfast and not just use a snack option for breakfast to get a danish or bring pop tarts from home. A small apple juice box for the child's meal $2.19 & a banana $1.69. Power aid $3.49, side of bacon 3 super thin $4.98, strawberries on the side (5 sm berries if that) $3.98. Then the kicker...off time between lunch/dinner my daughter was hungry thought we would just get a kit kat, can't b bad-$3.90! Again luv Disney but come on.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Ever do something "boring" and kind of basic and think, wow, that was expensive for 2 hours? Movies, sporting events, bowling, Top Golf, etc. Price it out and you'll start seeing the value Disney brings when you consider the size of their operation. My buddy spent $325 for a family of 4 to watch a baseball game.

$20/ticket at your local movie theater is pretty normal these days. Add a $4.50 coke, $9 popcorn, and $4 snickers and you'll remember every business is trying to extract the value. You pay it because that popcorn tastes good during the movie and it's worth it to you. The overall spend is less, so you don't notice as Much as a few thousand dollar trip. Every day stuff is more expensive. How about that $12 margarita you had to have at the bar?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom