Disney and Pixar in conversations again

PaisleyMF

Original Poster
Taken from Reuters, heard first over MSNBC TV

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive-elect Bob Iger on Tuesday said he had "really good" talks with Pixar Animation Studios Inc. but had not struck a new distribution deal.
Iger told investors at a Deutsche Bank conference that it was too early to tell if a new Pixar agreement would be reached.

"I'm not sure I really want to give you odds. We've had really good discussions," Iger said.

Disney has released all Pixar films, from "Toy Story" to "The Incredibles," but last year Pixar called off talks with Disney on a deal that would extend beyond "Cars," the next and last picture covered by the current distribution deal.

Disney said the companies could not reach a deal that was financially viable, but a bitter public relationship between Disney CEO Michael Eisner and Pixar CEO Steve Jobs was also blamed by many analysts for the impasse.

Pixar reopened the door to Disney after President and Chief Operating Officer Iger was named as the next chief executive. Iger's transition to the CEO role will take place at the end of September.

"The fact that we are having a dialogue is a really good thing, and it has been really healthy," Iger said. "We'd certainly like to find a way to continue to do business with them, and I think the feeling is mutual."

Iger also commented on broader company strategy, saying that he did not think Disney needed to continue to cut debt and that he would consider divestitures of non-core assets, mentioning radio in particular. There was no urgency for such deals, he added.

He also said that he was personally trying to get the two different camps working on technology for next-generation DVDs, known as Blu-ray and HD-DVD, to agree on a single set of standards and that it was important to do so by late 2006."

KevinPage

Good to know. I would like for Pixar to stay on board, but if Steve Jobs insists on the deal he proposed to Eisner, there is no way Disney should agree to that.

Surely Steve Jobs did that to embarass Eisner as he couldn't be that stupid to think Eisner would accept it.

I don't really care how the deal is orchestrated except I hope Pixar gets control of sequels and Disney can't produce them without Pixar.

Edeyore

This really is good news. I have to admit though that I am leary of giving
Pixar everything they want. I have seen the trailers for "Cars" and am not
really impressed. I think if Disney gives-in too much, to extend their dealings
that they are going to look bad when Disney distributes a Pixar film that
doesn't live up to their legacy.

bhg469

so far disney had not impressed me with its computer animation, hopefully chicken little will prove otherwise. Pixar is the best at what they do, they are always on the cutting edge and it shows in all their animation.

phlydude

Steve Jobs is a 1st class a--
Until he can get over himself, he is not going to strike a distribution deal with anyone, at least not on the terms that he proposed giving very little profit to the distributor.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
phlydude said:
Steve Jobs is a 1st class a--
Until he can get over himself, he is not going to strike a distribution deal with anyone, at least not on the terms that he proposed giving very little profit to the distributor.
I agree, Jobs is basically Eisner 2.0. While the 3d CG animation that Pixar produces in incredible, what made their movies so successful IMHO was good writing not the quality of the animation. Sooner or later they are going to produce a lemon.

rogerrabbitfan9

Personally I think this is bad news on Disney's part. Jim Hill posted an article on the situation yesterday. According to him Disney is going to lose everything.

PaisleyMF

Original Poster
Just remember that Steve was sided with Roy Disney, thats why he made it so hard for Eisner to strike a deal. Same thing with Apple, he was one sided with the PowerPC chip, now there will be Mac Intel Inside. So maybe a better deal with Disney could be on the works.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
rogerrabbitfan9 said:
Personally I think this is bad news on Disney's part. Jim Hill posted an article on the situation yesterday. According to him Disney is going to lose everything.
I would not put too much stock it what Jim Hill writes. He has a habit of making mountains out of mole hills.

Some of those things mentioned in that article are the very reason why Disney should drop Pixar at the end of the current contract.

Give up all the rights to something they already own? Why? No way.

As others have said, Pixar will, one day, produce a dud. Show me ANY studio that has been in business for any substantial amount of time and that hasn't at one point or another produced a flop. You can't.

Everyone raves about CGI but, IMHO, I was pretty much over it by the time Monsters Inc rolled out. In fact, that was indeed the last CGI film I have seen.

I could very well be wrong but with studio after studio producing CGI films, something's gotta give sooner or later.

righttrack

I think Pixar needs Disney almost as much as Disney needs it. Dreamworks is successful in its own right with CGI and doesn't need Pixar. So you've got Sony, Vivendi and maybe Fox with the distribution channels needed. But, you say, its all in the tie-ins. Disney has more room for licensing, tie-ins, TV animation, dedicated children's channels, etc.

CoryMitchell

rogerrabbitfan9 said:

That article was not written by Jim, but rather by one of our new cloumnists, Andrew Crim. I don't know if that changes your opinion of the piece, but thought I should give Andrew credit.

CTXRover

rogerrabbitfan9 said:

The JHM article written by their new columinst Andrew Crim was more or less a very good summary of what led to the original talks being called off. Read it if you want to know what happened. Disney/Eisner DID agree to simply receive a flat distribution fee for all future Pixar films. While that would mean they would no longer receive the potential profit from future Pixar films, it would also shield them from the inevitable dud and also keep Pixar under their wings to prevent a direct competition between Pixar and Disney's own animation unit, all good things.

What Jobs was also demanding in terms of Disney giving up all the rights to past Pixar films is what led to Disney saying no and eventually Pixar/Jobs calling off the talks. It would be insane and a disaster on Disney's part to agree to such a deal. I think Jobs knew that and knew he put Eisner, who he has publicly ridiculed, in a difficult position. It was the personal hatred between these two men that led to that proposed contract, imo.

Unless someone was a fly on the wall during the recent initial conversations between Iger and Jobs, there is no way to know for sure what is being considered right now and it is all speculation that what Jobs is offering is the same as what he offered Eisner. I seriously doubt that. I give Iger a lot more credit than believing he will simply sign anything to look good. He might look good to Disney fans and some media outlets to strike a new Pixar deal, but will quickly gain enemies on wallstreet and among the shareholders if he signs a bad deal. He has already cautioned any excitement generated from the possibility of a Pixar/Disney reunion by saying he will not sign a new contract that does not benefit its shareholders. Signing the contract Jobs offered to Eisner just for the sake of it would put Iger in a much worse position than if he didn't, and I'm sure (or at least hoping) he's smart enough to know that. He'd better if he wants to continue to gain support.

CTXRover

bhg469 said:
so far disney had not impressed me with its computer animation, hopefully chicken little will prove otherwise. Pixar is the best at what they do, they are always on the cutting edge and it shows in all their animation.

Chicken Little is actually Disney's first full-fledged computer animated film, so I'm not sure what they have done that hasn't been impressive yet.

They did do Dinosaur, but it was a done mostly by the now defunct "Secret Lab" and I'm not sure if it involved many of the animators that worked in Walt Disney Feature animation at the time or those that work for WDFA now. I imagine some of those who worked on Dinosaur are still around to help create some of the Computer animation software, but otherwise there hasn't been anything from WDFA in the field of computer animation to compare to yet. Even so, despite Dinosaur's story being a dud, the dinosaurs themselves looked pretty darn good.

Sherm00

Pixar animation isn't all that. It's decent but I think Shrek and Shrek 2 were better from a technology point. they were more detailed, better animation etc. Cars looks like yesterdays 3d technology that can be reproduced on an XBOX. I think Steve jobs is very arrogant and likes to play things his way. Apple right now isn't where the technology is at. It is also proven that AMD dual core opteron server will outperform macs when it comes to rendering. so I think Disney would be better off cutting a deal with AMD to get there own equipment and hire some new talent then sticking with pixar. however if the do get back with pixar I would like to see some more graphic creativity then the same graphic level year after year.

KevinPage

CTXRover said:
Disney/Eisner DID agree to simply receive a flat distribution fee for all future Pixar films. While that would mean they would no longer receive the potential profit from future Pixar films, it would also shield them from the inevitable dud and also keep Pixar under their wings to prevent a direct competition between Pixar and Disney's own animation unit, all good things.

If Pixar were to demand:

1 - flat distro deal for new movies
2 - control of any sequels to prior flims (approve/disapprove)
3 - higher % of revenue generated for future films RE: toys, etc.
4 - slight increase in past film revenues

I would think that would be a fair deal for both parties. The big stickler for me is #2. Under no circumstance do I want Disney making sequels of Pixar films. The thought of that irks the heck out of me. Yeah I can choose to boycott the films, BUT it still tarnishes the images of the original (Lucas did that to himself, didn't need anyone else :D ) Disney making toys, theme park attractions to past movies is not a problem, but to take other people's material (while legal) shows how sickening you've become.

:D :D :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom