News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

So do we know how much, if any, horse trading is now allowed between Disney-Fox and Comcast? Can they have discussions about the 39% in Comcast vs the 30% in Hulu. It seems like Disney now has the upper hand to get whatever it wants in exchange for not bidding up SKY.

Or is it willing to settle for not getting anything from Comcast and will bid up SKY out of spite for driving up the Fox cost. I don't think Disney can win SKY away from Comcast at this point, but they can drive up the price. (I'm assuming Disney has limits for how much debt they really want to take on)

Disney will probably want to put in at least one more bid for Sky. Unofficial talk can happen, and probably has. Officially nothing yet as Disney doesn't yet own Fox and Comcast doesn't yet own Sky.

Can’t they can’t just call it Disney Fox

They can call it Stormy Daniels if they want. They will not put the Disney name in front of it though as that label will release R rated movies.

Touchstone?

Still exists and I'm still mad that we haven't gotten a Gone in 60 seconds remake or sequel.

So, is Blue Sky dead or will they keep it to compete with Illumination?

My personal opinion is that they keep it as an animation studio that releases directly to the streaming services and smaller theatrical releases. They should focus on original, SW, Marvel, and Avatar? animation movies with a budget of less than 100MM, with most of them between in the 50-75MM range. They should do what DisneyToon was intended to do all those years back but failed miserably at.

bartholomr4

So do we know how much, if any, horse trading is now allowed between Disney-Fox and Comcast? Can they have discussions about the 39% in Comcast vs the 30% in Hulu. It seems like Disney now has the upper hand to get whatever it wants in exchange for not bidding up SKY.

Or is it willing to settle for not getting anything from Comcast and will bid up SKY out of spite for driving up the Fox cost. I don't think Disney can win SKY away from Comcast at this point, but they can drive up the price. (I'm assuming Disney has limits for how much debt they really want to take on)

I am sure they can talk & plan freely (exchanging more information), and would likely execute a more liberal mutual consent agreement between the North American entities(and any other countries who have approved the merger). Discussing any entity which has a foreign corporate charter would be a big no-no. Planning and even org structure announcements can proceed, but they really can't move forward with any actual transition moves until the deal closes and shareholders are paid. Transition teams can start to execute system tests and consolidation planning, but until "Legal Day One" nothing can really transpire.

I would think Disney doesn't want to get ahead of regulators or inadvertently invite any shareholder rights lawsuits. So if Comcast closes Sky at the end of October as they have targeted, I would expect that closing would be for the 61% and not the 39% owned by FOX (unless by some miracle the Disney FOX deal closes by the end of October too), or there will be a potential tax liability Fox would incur which would complicate things for Disney. Also a bunch of cash on the Fox Balance Sheet which Disney may not want Fox to "invest".

The DOJ didn't really give Disney a long time-frame to exit the regional sports networks( I think it was 90 days)... Disney should be able to use this time to extend the sales process and prevent a fire sale scenario. I would think we will start to hear rumors about interested parties for the RSN's and if anyone will come forward with a bid for all of them. I think they are more valuable sold separately, and the Professional teams involved may also have equity positions which may also make it interesting to watch. The recent Supreme Court ruling on betting makes these networks a way for the teams to gain new revenue without sharing the $$$ with the NBA, MLB, etc.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I am sure they can talk & plan freely (exchanging more information), and would likely execute a more liberal mutual consent agreement between the North American entities(and any other countries who have approved the merger). Discussing any entity which has a foreign corporate charter would be a big no-no. Planning and even org structure announcements can proceed, but they really can't move forward with any actual transition moves until the deal closes and shareholders are paid. Transition teams can start to execute system tests and consolidation planning, but until "Legal Day One" nothing can really transpire.

I would think Disney doesn't want to get ahead of regulators or inadvertently invite any shareholder rights lawsuits. So if Comcast closes Sky at the end of October as they have targeted, I would expect that closing would be for the 61% and not the 39% owned by FOX (unless by some miracle the Disney FOX deal closes by the end of October too), or there will be a potential tax liability Fox would incur which would complicate things for Disney. Also a bunch of cash on the Fox Balance Sheet which Disney may not want Fox to "invest".

The DOJ didn't really give Disney a long time-frame to exit the regional sports networks( I think it was 90 days)... Disney should be able to use this time to extend the sales process and prevent a fire sale scenario. I would think we will start to hear rumors about interested parties for the RSN's and if anyone will come forward with a bid for all of them. I think they are more valuable sold separately, and the Professional teams involved may also have equity positions which may also make it interesting to watch. The recent Supreme Court ruling on betting makes these networks a way for the teams to gain new revenue without sharing the $$$ with the NBA, MLB, etc.

We are already hearing rumors on interested parties for the RSNs. And that it's gonna be a bidding war:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/disney-must-sell-regional-sports-networks-if-it-buys-fox-2018-7

The sports media industry experts that Business Insider spoke with said to expect interest from the following groups of potential buyers:

• Cable telecoms like AT&T, Charter, Comcast
  • Big media companies like CBS or Viacom
  • Broadcast companies who already own sports networks, like Sinclair Broadcast Group
  • Private equity firms which would look to monetize the RSN assets
  • Foreign entities like the UK-based Eleven Sports
  • Companies committed to investing in their OTT platforms, like Amazon and YouTube
  • Discovery Communications
  • Individual sports teams; MSG Networks is an example of a group of professional teams that already own a sports network

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Welcome home...
6C07ADE5-4158-4832-83E6-397BBCCC182B.jpeg
1682BD23-175A-49DE-B33E-95C9103F0B98.jpeg

Now make this happen Feige and Marvel Studios...
03865542-3A33-4190-B93A-ED3FB18688D2.jpeg

Rodan75

Yeah, I was familiar with what could happen in the US, but wasn’t sure if that could loop in SKY discussions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can’t they can’t just call it Disney Fox
Yes. They can.

But it's likely they'd want to distance themselves from Murdoch's 21st Century Fox right-wing news empire and Fox News.

I think it’s about 99% unlikely they want to use fox for anything...it’s “brand dilution”’and also there’s the elephant in the room pointed out above.

Indy_UK

The more adult content that would come under Fox won’t become solely under the Disney name, which is why I think they’ll keep the Fox name in some way.

Personally I think 21st CF is a strong brand name and they should just leave it as that. People will eventually get that it’s under the Disney banner

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom