Disney and Community

floridabill

Original Poster
Disney does so much good for the community and for wild life, so why isn't that ever recognized more often?? http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ they save animals and give money to the community but thats never in the news?? I understand the news is all about bad publicity for ratings, or bringing awareness to the community when there's a problem. I just wish Disney's efforts were showcased more!! As well as sea world because they give back and help animals as well... what does universal do?? Do they give back??

wizards8507

Like it or not, Disney, McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola, Microsoft, and Exxon-Mobile will very rarely, if ever, see even a drop of good publicity. People like to see the "big guy" get beat up. In a world where profit is considered "evil," these firms represent Lucifer himself.

Evil Genius

Like it or not, Disney, McDonald's, Wal-Mart, Coca-Cola, Microsoft, and Exxon-Mobile will very rarely, if ever, see even a drop of good publicity. People like to see the "big guy" get beat up. In a world where profit is considered "evil," these firms represent Lucifer himself.

I'll agree with this sentiment save for Wal-Mart. There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that company.

Evil Genius

You mean like the millions of jobs they create in communities accross the country? A minimum wage job is better than being unemployed.

Bunch of lying snakes.

How about:

Wal-Mart faces the nation's largest workplace gender-bias lawsuit.

Wal-Mart faces class action lawsuit over truck driver discrimination.

For Customers, Racial Profiling

Wal-Mart health insurance coverage lags far behind national average. Nationally, 64% of workers in very large firms (5,000 employees or more) receive their health benefits from their employer.

Wal-Mart fails to cover preventive care

Wal-Mart Employees Still Wait Twice As Long For Health Care Coverage Than Workers At Other Retailers.

Employees With Pre-existing Conditions Must Wait At Least One Year For Treatment

High Out-of-Pocket Premiums

Forced to Settle Air Pollution Claims. In 2004, Wal-Mart agreed to pay $400,000 to the government to settle claims that Sam's Club had flouted federal air pollution regulations in eleven states.

Widespread Water Pollution. In 2001, the EPA and Justice Department for the first time fined a company -- Wal-Mart -- for violating newly adopted standards for stormwater runoff. Wal-Mart paid $5.5 million in fines for violations at construction sites in four states: Massachusetts, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Lee Scott admits Wal-Mart is not a green company.

Wal-Mart leaves empty buildings behind.

Wal-Mart Violated Worker Rights More than 2 Million Times, Minnesota Judge Rules

Off-the-Clock Work. In 2000, Wal-Mart paid $50 million to settle a lawsuit that involved 69,000 workers in Colorado who had allegedly been forced to work off the clock.

Hiring Undocumented Workers. Wal-Mart paid $11 million to settle a federal investigation called "Operation Rollback,"

Employing Teens in Unsafe Conditions.

These are just a few of the issues I've got with "Wally World". And this doesn't even touch there shipping/pricing issues or merchandise hording or negative effects on small businsses in rural communities...

Sorry...that place is a major soap box issue for me.

majorrfb

Is this REALLY the forum for this topic...?

How about:

Wal-Mart faces the nation's largest workplace gender-bias lawsuit.

Wal-Mart faces class action lawsuit over truck driver discrimination.

For Customers, Racial Profiling

Wal-Mart health insurance coverage lags far behind national average. Nationally, 64% of workers in very large firms (5,000 employees or more) receive their health benefits from their employer.

Wal-Mart fails to cover preventive care

Wal-Mart Employees Still Wait Twice As Long For Health Care Coverage Than Workers At Other Retailers.

Employees With Pre-existing Conditions Must Wait At Least One Year For Treatment

High Out-of-Pocket Premiums

Forced to Settle Air Pollution Claims. In 2004, Wal-Mart agreed to pay $400,000 to the government to settle claims that Sam's Club had flouted federal air pollution regulations in eleven states.

Widespread Water Pollution. In 2001, the EPA and Justice Department for the first time fined a company -- Wal-Mart -- for violating newly adopted standards for stormwater runoff. Wal-Mart paid $5.5 million in fines for violations at construction sites in four states: Massachusetts, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Lee Scott admits Wal-Mart is not a green company.

Wal-Mart leaves empty buildings behind.

Wal-Mart Violated Worker Rights More than 2 Million Times, Minnesota Judge Rules

Off-the-Clock Work. In 2000, Wal-Mart paid $50 million to settle a lawsuit that involved 69,000 workers in Colorado who had allegedly been forced to work off the clock.

Hiring Undocumented Workers. Wal-Mart paid $11 million to settle a federal investigation called "Operation Rollback,"

Employing Teens in Unsafe Conditions.

These are just a few of the issues I've got with "Wally World". And this doesn't even touch there shipping/pricing issues or merchandise hording or negative effects on small businsses in rural communities...

Sorry...that place is a major soap box issue for me.

Please give us a break!! :hammer:

stlbobby

Please give us a break!! :hammer:

I actually disagree with the Evil Genius' point, but why shouldn't he be allowed to express it? He didn't attack anyone personally and it arose naturally out of the discussion the OP brought up.

To Evil Genius, I think you may be overstating your case a bit. I'm not defending WM as a perfect company, but most large corporations are sued over and over, and any big organization will have bad managers that make bad decisions. Are they guilty of many of the things you stated? I would assume so, but I also doubt many of them were malicious or intended.

As far as the insurance issue, it is unusual for the part-time hourly type employee to even have the opportunity to get insurance. So WM is actually giving an untrained worker an opportunity to have at least basic healthcare they would otherwise not get.

For preexisting conditions most insurance companies, in my experience, won't even accept a preexisting condition for coverage, so if WM makes them wait a year it is way better than the alternative.

Again I'm not a huge WM fan, just an average shopper, but I think you may be hitting a little too hard.

stlbobby

To the OP, I agree that often companies good deeds are ignored. I remember when I went to the Field Museum in Chicago and found out Disney and McDonald's helped the museum win an auction for the T. Rex fossil SUE.

There was serious concern the skeleton was going to end up in a private collection and available to the public. These two corporate giants, and others, stepped up to ensure the remains would be accessible to the public and the scientific community for study.

Animal Kingdom has a replica of the actual skeleton near Dinosaur! and a small plaque stating Disney was involved in the auction, but for the most part the story is not exploited at the parks.

It's a tough line to walk when doing good deeds if they say too much about it it seems inauthentic, but if they ignore it completely they don't get the credit they deserve.

Evil Genius

I actually disagree with the Evil Genius' point, but why shouldn't he be allowed to express it? He didn't attack anyone personally and it arose naturally out of the discussion the OP brought up.

To Evil Genius, I think you may be overstating your case a bit. I'm not defending WM as a perfect company, but most large corporations are sued over and over, and any big organization will have bad managers that make bad decisions. Are they guilty of many of the things you stated? I would assume so, but I also doubt many of them were malicious or intended.

As far as the insurance issue, it is unusual for the part-time hourly type employee to even have the opportunity to get insurance. So WM is actually giving an untrained worker an opportunity to have at least basic healthcare they would otherwise not get.

For preexisting conditions most insurance companies, in my experience, won't even accept a preexisting condition for coverage, so if WM makes them wait a year it is way better than the alternative.

Again I'm not a huge WM fan, just an average shopper, but I think you may be hitting a little too hard.

All I'll ask is that you watch Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. I know the documentary is skewed (what one isn't?) but the statistics are factual and very sobering.

Off my soap box now.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The quality of threads around here this summer (and today in particular):

facepalm_anim_test-03.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom