Disney and Change

Scrappyreader

Original Poster
I love WDW and have for as long as I can recall. But, change at WDW is not always something I endorse. Sure, they say change can be a good thing, but not always. Take for example the Journey into Imagination with Figment ride. I absolutely loved the original ride with the Professor and Figment and all the scenery. Ever since though they changed this ride, it has not been the same. The original change of the ride was absolutely terrible. I got off that ride and thought, "This was not the Figment ride. It may say it is the Figment ride, but it is NOT the Figment ride." Now, I came back from Epcot two weekends ago having rode the updated Figment ride. My favorite part is towards the end when all the different Figments come out in different costumes. This, to me, is more like the original ride. I wish wholeheartedly that they had never changed the ride in the first place. Does anyone else agree?

Another example of change regarding WDW is DreamFlight. When I was little, this ride and the PeopleMover were my two favorite rides at the Magic Kingdom. If I only got to ride on these two rides on our vacations, I was happy. Since 1998, however, when all the versions of this ride closed, I think the Magic Kingdom has just never quite (in a small way-don't get me wrong, I still love the Magic Kingdom) been the same. Whenever I pass by the Buzz Lightyear attraction, I always think of DreamFlight.

Yet, on a positive note, I am very excited to hear about the upcoming changes to Fantasyland.

How does everyone else feel about change in WDW? Are there any attractions that you miss? Any favorites that are long gone or updated in a way you don't like?

Take care everyone!

I love this site! People who get my love of WDW!

Hollie

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Change will never always be positive but when it comes to places like WDW some people will view any change as negative because they become emotionally involved with a show or an attraction. When a person becomes emotionally vested in an attraction or part of an attraction logic and reason go out the window. The speedway could get replaced with an E ticket to end all E tickets and someone would hate the change. There was a person that was utterly devastated because the spider scene in the HM was replaced by the Escher stair scene. The bottom line is Disney does not change things without reason. When attractions become old and stale causing guest counts to fall or if an attraction becomes too expensive to operate change is inevitable.

Imagination 2.0 was an abortion. Pure and simple. They had a major technical issue and took the cheep way out and they got what the deserved.

Dreamflight changing to Buzz was however an improvement. Dreamflight was a cute attraction but not on the level of a PotC or IASW. Buzz is an incredibly popular attraction with a huge amount of repeatability. Could it have been better? Sure. But Disney got a inexpensive attraction that eats guests and has a wait 24/7 so from a business perspective Buzz is a major win.

Walt Disney1955

I'm not a big fan of sweeping changes. I'm optimistic of the new Fantasyland expansion but there have been some bad changes in the past.

Alien Encounter gets turfed for Stitch?
Mr. Toad for Winnie the Pooh? (that one wasn't as bad but come on, Toad was a classic)
20,000 leagues should have never left either

In general you will never see some rides go in your lifetime. Space Mountain, Thunder, Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tom Sawyer's Island, Jungle Cruise, Small World, Peter Pan, Snow White, Dumbo, Cinderella's Carousel will NEVER be gone and I think that's a good thing. That's the core of MK.

Other ones like Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress or Tommorowland Speedway will never be gone either because they either have long lines, it would be unpatriotic or because it was Walt's baby. Country Bears did leave DL but in MK it fits with the theme so well there that I can't imagine it gone, ever, I hope.

This is the beauty of especially the Magic Kingdom. There are, and always will be rides that you can tell your kids you rode, and that makes it special. Maybe someday Monsters Inc. is replaced. Okay, that would suck because most of us love it, but Tommorowland is an area with the most potential change

rodserling27

I think there will ALWAYS be critics on both sides of the isle. In recent times, I can say that a good deal of changes don't sit well with me, the hardcore WDW freak, or my family and friends, the casual WDW fans.

I can generally lump Disney change into three categories: 1. Things that are absolutely terrible and never should have happened (or things that are just plain dumb) 2. things that are debateable as to their "good" factor, and 3. things that are unanimously approved.

1.Things like changing Toad for Pooh, 20k Leagues for....nothing at all, Dreamfinder for Eric Idle...I consider these former attractions staples of their respective theme parks. Everyone I've ever met that has been on any of these before they changed agreed that the originals were better, so I don't even debate about it (although Pooh is a cute ride...:zipit: but it's still a sad excuse for taking out Toad). Even small things like on-board audio for The Land or the Backlot tour...just plain dumb moves that make the rides less interesting.

2. THen you get into some grey territory with things like Horizons, World of Motion, SpaceShip Earth's ending and whatnot......Personally, I liked the old rides, and the old versions. But I speak for a small portion of us that are the hardcore WDW fans. To the everyday casual fan, Horizons may mean nothing. In fact, most people that I know that are casual fans much prefer Test Track over WoM and Mission:Space over Horizons. Same can be said for Spaceship Earth..yeah, we all loved the ending. But does the casual WDW-goer really even think twice about it? I would put Lights, Motor, Action in this category. Personally, I hate the thing. i think it's an abomination to DHS. It's noisy, boring, long, and takes up too much space. It's not worth seeing more than once, IMO; it ruined the great original Backlot Tour. But then again, i know plenty of people that love LMA, and never cared for the original Backlot Tour. So it's a bit of a toss-up.

3. This is my favorite category. Things like the Haunted Mansion updates, almost 100% approval rating. Fantasyland expansion looks to be very promising, especially with the addition of TLM Dark ride. The addition of Expedition Everest, the fantastic updates to ToT over the years, ...these are the kinds of things that put WDW on top. It's too bad every update or refurb/change can't fall into this category.

So there ya have it. My opinions. :slurp:

Master Gracey 5

I can generally lump Disney change into three categories: 1. Things that are absolutely terrible and never should have happened (or things that are just plain dumb) 2. things that are debateable as to their "good" factor, and 3. things that are unanimously approved.

I'm behind you 100% on these categories Rod.

People change, tastes change, the world changes and WDW has to balance between anticipating these changes and playing catch up. No matter which approach they take, there are major risks. Sometimes we get great changes that keep the original spirit of the ride, other times Disney tries something new and fails. One great example would be Horizons. As fondly as people remember the ride, it was based on ideas and concepts were nearly 20 years old. That vision of the future was becoming weaker every year and an update was needed. Some would say that Mission Space is a great next gen step of the spirit of Horizons, others say its a cheap thrill ride and an abomination to everything Epcot stands for.

We all have our personal crusades against change at WDW. One look at the threads and you can see people rallying for and against any ride you bring up (the Aladdin's Carpets thread comes to mind most recently). Ultimately how you feel about these changes is a matter of preference.

rodserling27

One great example would be Horizons. As fondly as people remember the ride, it was based on ideas and concepts were nearly 20 years old. That vision of the future was becoming weaker every year and an update was needed. Some would say that Mission Space is a great next gen step of the spirit of Horizons, others say its a cheap thrill ride and an abomination to everything Epcot stands for.
Outstanding point! And I believe the majority of Disney changes DO fall under this feeling with people, and in category no. 2 that I posted above.

harveyt0206

Well, you know what they say: You can't please all of the people all of the time. With the number of visitors that WDW sees on an annual basis, they are bound to make a certain percentage unhappy, even if they do nothing at all. Personally, I "try" not to let changes upset me, but then again I have yet to have one of my favorite attractions destroyed with changes yet. Even though SSE is my second favorite attraction, the descent doesn't infuriate me the way it does some. I certainly understand the frustration that many folks have over the lack of a descent at this point, but I also know that getting angry about it will only affect my trip. So I will keep trying to embrace change when it occurs and continue to understand my fellow WDW lovers frustration over the changes that upset them.

muteki

I am open to change, if the end result is an improvement/offers more than what was originally there. The unfortunate thing is, my faith in TDO's ability/willingness to deliver has eroded over the years and it is difficult for me to be optimistic about any change at this point. Until I see a turn in the right direction my outlook will remain the same.

I am not against change itself, I just have doubt that what will come will not live up to what was before. Too many examples of this to mention.

John

Change is enevitable....Nothing ever stays the same.....cept....COP...lol but its the subtle changes that upset me the most. For instance on TOT the Cm's, years past they would say in a charecter voice...."welcome" ..."Enjoy your stay" as you entered the elevator going up. Now they seemed to just rush you in and its like anyother themed park you go to. Disney's change is the way its loseing some of its magic.

The magic really comes from the CM's. It was wonderful being there during christmas time and you woke up the next day and the entire WDW was decorated. Thats magic. Or the cute stockings that were hung on our door the next morning. Thats magic. Now its moving to generic themed souviners....Its the little things that make Disney magical.

Yes, I realize that nothing is the same as it used to be. But isnt that what we as real Disney fans go back time and time again for? I am also a travel agent. I could go anywhere I want to go on vacation. Where do I choose to go?....To us real fans no matter where we live Disney is where our heart is. I Became a agent because of Disney . I wanted to share the magic. Dont get me wrong. I still tear up when I walk around the corner and see the castle. Is the real magic in riding SSE or any of the various rides? Although I am a huge fan of the rides. I for one could enjoy WDW and never ride one ride. I dont go to Disney for the rides.....I go for the magic.

CP_alum08

I think at a place like WDW change is a huge task. You have the older people who know WDW like it was when they grew up, with FAR less technology than today, and they would like things to remain the same for nostalgia. Then you have the new generations, that to them the animatronics on some of the rides look like tinker toys (assuming they even know what tinker toys are anymore :shrug:) and they want 3-D and dazzling effects. So i think it really depends on who you talk to if change is good or not.

Personally i think HS is the best example of trying to make everyone happy. You've got the new generation of rides; RNR, ToT, and TSMM, but you also have classics like GMR and Star tours (heres hoping its still good after all the renovations!)

yankspy

I took my son for his first trip to WDW in October 09. As I walked around I realized just how much WDW had changed since my first trip in 1976.

There was one park, one water park, three resorts, and a small quaint shopping village. Just think of all the good things that have been added since then.

Overall, I think the changes have been for the better. However, I agree that certain changes have not.

Nostalgia will always be a huge factor for me. I think that is why to this day I do not get that same exciting feeling when I am going to DHS or AK. I like those parks, but I do not get goosebumps when I walk through the gates like I do at MK or Epcot.

stlbobby

I can generally lump Disney change into three categories: 1. Things that are absolutely terrible and never should have happened (or things that are just plain dumb)

1.Things like changing Toad for Pooh

I like Pooh way better than Toad.

I'm a big fan of change, sure sometimes things I like disappear, like Alien Encounter and the Honey I Shrunk the Audience pre-show slide show, but I doubt I would enjoy the parks as much if they were always the same.

When my family first joined DVC I remember thinking my second trip about a year after my first would kind of be boring, but I was taken aback by how much new stuff had sprung up. I marveled at how many new attractions and restaurants had appeared in just a year.

Part of my excitement each time I go is to see what is new. Sometimes I am underwhelmed, but others times I am blown away.

Mickey is King

I know alot of people are upset when a popular attraction changes into something else, but isn't that what uncle Walt wanted ? didn't he say something like:

The park(s) should be everchanging and should never be considered "done" or "complete"

PurpleDragon

I think a lot of the problem with negative changes is often times corporate politics gets in the way of creativity and thus an inferior attraction is built to appeal to the cost conscious budge department rather than deilver the original full experience brought forward from the imagineers. I'm sure that a lot of these "inferior changes" were once amzing ideas, but budget cuts and corner cutting end up giving us lacklustre attractions, like the current JIYI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom