Disney and 9-11

aim

Original Poster
Originally posted by barnebd5
God Bless America!, thats all I have to say.

Thank god we have Disney as an escape to stone hard reality like 9/11...but I think its customary to pay our respect for those involved in the tradgedies of 9/11.

I agree with you very much. The December after 9-11, we flew down to WDW. It was only a few months after the tragedy, so the emotions were still fresh for everyone. But, it was a very nice vacation. We could escape from all the news for awhile. And sometimes, it is good to do that. It was a great trip. And I remember we went to the Hall of Presidents and after George W's speech, people started clapping. It was a neat thing.

ISTCrew20

I know that last year, one year after it happend, Disney released a special times guide, with a September 11th memorial paragraph, and where you can catch special American gatherings and such. I was at the parks that day, I went after school, and I have to say, resort-wide, it wasnt the same. I'll see if I cant get a scan or picture of the times guide.

Avenger23

What happened on Sept. 11, 2001 wasn't a tragedy, it was an atrocity.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
-George Santayana

Never forget.

Joel

shari71

I was at Disney two years ago. The first day of our four day vacation there. I remember checking in and unpacking to the news. At that time they did not know much and everything seemed to be under control. So off to the parks we went unknowning of the tragedy unfolding. To be suddenly told to leave the park and that planes are slamming into buildings without much other explaination is somewhat scary. I remember hugging my 11 month old and praying that all would be alright. We spent most of the day glued to the TV until it became to much. I remember walking around POR and crying because it was so beautiful and the world had just been thrown into chaos. I remember having a lot of respect that Disney did not question shutting down the parks and making sure their guests were safely housed at their hotel.

Disney also gave us a free pass as we left. My husband and I donated our passes to a local charity. Supposedly they were going to try and get the tickets to children of the victims.

My one hope is that that ticket allowed some child to experience the good in the world and not the ugliness of that day.

God Bless America!

Woody13

I am glad that Disney observed "Patriot Day" with the half-staff idea. Other ceremonies or vigils at Disney parks would not really be proper. To wit:

"By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2003, as Patriot Day. I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities, including remembrance services and candlelight vigils. I also call upon the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot Day. In addition, I call upon all Americans to display the flag at half-staff from their homes on that day and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand three, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and twenty-eighth."

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I was at the parks all day today. Besides having all major flags at half-mast, there was a special flag retreat at the Magic Kingdom that featured the Voices of Liberty singing a few patriotic songs. There were also representatives there from the armed forces and the Orange County Sheriff Honor Guard. It was a very nice little ceremony that also featured a moment of silence. I have to say it was a very solemn moment. Town Square was almost completely silent. I had never experienced that before.

I took some pictures and will post again when I have them up.

aim

Original Poster
Originally posted by MrNonacho
I was at the parks all day today. Besides having all major flags at half-mast, there was a special flag retreat at the Magic Kingdom that featured the Voices of Liberty singing a few patriotic songs. There were also representatives there from the armed forces and the Orange County Sheriff Honor Guard. It was a very nice little ceremony that also featured a moment of silence. I have to say it was a very solemn moment. Town Square was almost completely silent. I had never experienced that before.

I took some pictures and will post again when I have them up.

Thank you for the update! Those pictures were wonderful!

Fido

Originally posted by WDW*babe
I agree with you very much. The December after 9-11, we flew down to WDW. It was only a few months after the tragedy, so the emotions were still fresh for everyone. But, it was a very nice vacation. We could escape from all the news for awhile. And sometimes, it is good to do that. It was a great trip. And I remember we went to the Hall of Presidents and after George W's speech, people started clapping. It was a neat thing.

We were there when it happened. We went to The American Adventure the next day. I can't describe the feeling. The show is emotional anyway, but that day....

LLAMA_JAMES

Account Suspended
'Why should they bring in probably the darkest thing in our history since the Civil War '

Yes 9/11 was an awful event but classing it as the darkest thing since the Civil War, is perhaps a little over the top. Personally events since the Civil War have been far worse; The world wars etc....
I think the attacks were dreadful but i can think of farworse, no disrespect though. :)

kennyj29

Well I totally disagree without making this political, I will rephrase that by saying the worst disaster in American since the Civil War does that sound better? Over three thousand people who aren't at war killed in a single day, that's pretty bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom