Disney and 9-11

KevinPage

They are open, having fireworks at Epcot at 9pm
parade at 3pm in the Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdom closes at 5pm

anything else? LOL

aim

Original Poster
You know what I mean! Is there any kind of special ceremony? Or even any more American stuff up?

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by KevinPage
They are open, having fireworks at Epcot at 9pm
parade at 3pm in the Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdom closes at 5pm

anything else? LOL

You'll have to excuse a lot of us if we DONT find that funny. Cuz i know i'm not the only one who has a knee jerk reaction to an ill timed attempt at humor.

Yellow Shoes

OK--everyone take a deep breath.

Everyone reacts differently to the same situation.

Some would prefer to move on with our lives.
Others prefer to stop everything today as a sign of respect.

But if the rules have changed and differing opinions are no longer allowed, I'd better dust off my burka.

aim

Original Poster
I'm sorry if I started anything. I was just wondering if Disney was going to do anything today to remember 9-11.

*EDIT*
Also, sorry about the exclamation for the thread. I must have messed up. I meant to put the Question mark.

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes

But if the rules have changed and differing opinions are no longer allowed, I'd better dust off my burka.

Well if you want to dress as a beekeeper, thats your business. However....

This isnt a case of a differing opinion; rather i see it as a feebeled attempt to make a joke at the wrong time and the wrong subject. I feel that its very disrespectful to make that kind of a joke about an event that killed so many innocent people. There's nothign wrong with inquiring if Disney is having any sort of cerimony or anything of the sort in rememberance of those who died. To come back as a smartass and say "Yeah, the 3PM parade" is pretty rude and tasteless IMO.

josh_e_washie

I wonder if the fireworks ceremonies will begin with a 'this is dedicated to...' or 'in memory of' speech before the actual show??? Don't think it would be a bad idea in my opinion....:)

GOD BLESS EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE AWFUL EVENTS OF TWO YEARS AGO TODAY, SEPTEMBER 11....

djmatthews

I work for ASDA which is part of the Wal*Mart family - the company policy here at least was that there would not be a minutes silence or anything like that. Does any body know if Wal*Mart (USA Stores) did anything. The brief that I read was along the lines of "While we must remember the tragedies and the lives lost, we must move on, and look to the future". Did Disney do anything - or did they adopt a similar view and attitude?

barnebd5

God Bless America!, thats all I have to say.

Thank god we have Disney as an escape to stone hard reality like 9/11...but I think its customary to pay our respect for those involved in the tradgedies of 9/11.

The_CEO

Originally posted by WDW*babe
I'm sorry if I started anything. I was just wondering if Disney was going to do anything today to remember 9-11.

*EDIT*
Also, sorry about the exclamation for the thread. I must have messed up. I meant to put the Question mark.

No, its just the person who responded who has the problem.

KevinPage

I wasn't being disrespectful, just trying to lighten the mood.

I lived it as a resident of NY who had friends in it and co workers loved ones who died, so don't think I don't "get it".

I knew you meant something special, didn't know it would cause an uprising.

As George Carlin said, "we can't do this or that, if we do, then the Terrorists have won!" If you don't buy that Lexus or $500 pair of shoes, then the terrorists have won

Maria

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes

I agree! Sometimes the attempts of humor might be humorous for some and not for others, but I think we all agree in that we find unnecesary to point them out and start uncomfortable situations that could go unadverted if we just ignore the posts we don´t like. Please all, relax, this practice is getting too old.

I also agree with barnum42, flying the flag half mast is a simple, respectful and subtle way to remember this day that can hardly be forgotten. :)

Testtrack321

I found it funny. :)

But anyway.....

I think that the flag at half-mast was best. This is Disney, where you escape. Why should they bring in probably the darkest thing in our history since the Civil War into the parks? I think we are past the greaving and have entered the remembering.

www.exhibit13.com

Maria

Originally posted by KevinPage
I wasn't being disrespectful, just trying to lighten the mood.

I lived it as a resident of NY who had friends in it and co workers loved ones who died, so don't think I don't "get it".

I understood it that way. :animwink:

Originally posted by Testtrack321

But anyway.....

I think that the flag at half-mast was best. This is Disney, where you escape. Why should they bring in probably the darkest thing in our history since the Civil War into the parks? I think we are past the greaving and have entered the remembering.

Well put!!! You know, just the other day I was watching a special on television about the widows of 9-11. The special was about how they have not only moved on with their lives, but they have also either started dating again, or even remarried. I for one will NEVER forget the tragic events of 9-11, but I also know that we must push forward with our lives, so that we can make the lives of our children (although I don't have any...yet) just that much better. I mean, if the ones that were directly affected by the tragic events can push forward, why can't we? I think the people that lost their lives so tragically on 9-11 would want for us to move on. Another thing is that Bin Laden and his flunkies may think they have gotten the best of America, but little do they know...THE BEST HAS YET TO COME!!!!

As for the topic at hand, I bet it would be really neat if they used red, white, and blue pyrotechnics for the Magic Kingdom firework show tonight. I only wish I could be there to see it!!!!

goofyman

Originally posted by barnebd5
God Bless America!, thats all I have to say.

Thank god we have Disney as an escape to stone hard reality like 9/11...but I think its customary to pay our respect for those involved in the tradgedies of 9/11.

DITTO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom