Disney alienates 90% of their guests......What is going on?

Weather_Lady

those folks are just morons. So I never thought an entry fee meant all access equally. Now I don't know why Disney is the only business were having social stratification (just using your term because I couldn't think of any other) is bad or unusual.
It happens all the time.

• First class plane ticket holders board first, get better food and personalized service.
  • on my american express card if you bump up to the platinum card (with it's hefty annual fee) you get bonuses such as in airport lounges and first crack at concert tickets etc. now for me it's not worth the fee, for my gal pal that travels a lot she will sell her kidney to get that airport lounge.
  • and some thing as simple as the Hilton club gives the member better or upscale rooms and treatment.
  • folks who purchase into that 33 club at Disney most definitely get another experience

• Again the idiots that that laugh at you are just that idiots. Unfortunately stupidity is free and observed at every income level

I know there have always been better experiences -- Club 33, private tours, better hotels, extra Fastpasses for purchase, etc. -- offered to the wealthy (or to those who choose to spend a lot of money regardless of wealth) at WDW. What bothers me is that those extras used to be largely invisible. Yes, I might look up from the plaza at dusk and see the people enjoying an exorbitantly-priced Dessert Party, but I still had the chance to watch the same fireworks show they did. I might glimpse a family being ushered around on a private tour, but I was able to ride all the same attractions they did. If somebody paying for a club level room paid even more to got a couple extra Fastpasses, I had no way of knowing when they passed through the tapstiles, and I still had my own Fastpass allotment to enjoy. In short, their "extras" had no discernible effect on my enjoyment of the parks.

The problem now is that Disney is [if all goes according to rumor] stratifying the park experience in a way that's going to be much more obtrusive and impossible to ignore. If I'm standing in standby lines and watching people with a pay-to-play Fastpass system being constantly let in front of me all day, I can no longer think to myself as I did under the old system, "it's okay, I used my FP+ to jump ahead of some folks and they're using theirs for the same thing -- it's pretty fair." Instead, I'm going to feel continually demoralized and less-than, as their "perk" now adds to my wait time. Ditto for those who paid thousands for their vacation but didn't happen to stay deluxe and are being herded out of the park at night like so much cattle, so that deluxe guests can get the park to themselves. It will be particularly hard to swallow for those of us old enough to remember when all onsite guests got EMH privileges on select nights, rich and poor alike. That was magic. This is just callous.

In short, instead of making all onsite guests or all ticketholders feel special and pixie-dusted, which is what the previous perks did, the psychological impact of the new systems will be to make the majority of guests feel inferior. Disney isn't just giving more to those who pay more anymore (which was never objectionable, as that's how a free market works): it's visibly taking things away from those who pay less, in order to give it to those who pay more. I hate, loathe, deplore and abhor it with every fiber of my being.

Last edited:

DisneyMusician2

Why? Because you’re spending $$ to stay in a Disney resort…are we going to have a caste system when staying on property?

Let’s charge double parking fees if you drive a luxury car…
Are guests going to be penalized for bringing their own food into the parks?
What’s next…oh I know, let’s take out ALL the coffee makers and microwaves from the values so guests MUST purchase food on property. Guests in deluxe resorts can have that perk since they spent so much for their rooms, they should be ENTITLED to eat and drink their own…where will it end?
Parking garages charge more for SUV's, and I still don't understand why guests who pay less should be entitled to the same stuff..I don't get more food at Burger King if I pay less, why isn't this the same?

Did deluxe guests ever previously get in-park perks that weren’t also available to value/moderate guests? I was thinking the extra room cost for staying at a deluxe (previously) was to enjoy the amenities of that particular resort. When adding park tickets to a deluxe resort package, the park ticket portion of the total expense increases the same dollar amount as it does for someone staying at a value/moderate resort, correct? Unless there’s a special discount/promotion going on?

KrzyKtty

Well then I stand corrected on the train, but either way I wasn't one for taking the buses in the first place. I'd feel much more comfortable taking an Uber or a Lyft, so the loss of them is no big thing for me.

DisneyMusician2

The perks I get are because I choose to stay on property, but they are equal regardless of where on property I stay…
But why should it be is my point. In any other resort destination we would see this, why shouldn't Disney offer different perks to those who stay at different hotels and levels?

eliza61nyc

I know there have always been better experiences -- Club 33, private tours, better hotels, extra Fastpasses for purchase, etc. -- offered to the wealthy (or to those who choose to spend a lot of money regardless of wealth) at WDW. What bothers me is that those extras used to be largely invisible. Yes, I might look up from the plaza at dusk and see the people enjoying an exorbitantly-priced Dessert Party, but I still had the chance to watch the same fireworks show they did. I might glimpse a family being ushered around on a private tour, but I was able to ride all the same attractions they did. If somebody paying for a club level room paid even more to got a couple extra Fastpasses, I had no way of knowing when they passed through the tapstiles, and I still had my own Fastpass allotment to enjoy. In short, their "extras" had no discernible effect on my enjoyment of the parks.

The problem now is that Disney is [if all goes according to rumor] stratifying the park experience in a way that's going to be much more obtrusive and impossible to ignore. If I'm standing in standby lines and watching people with a pay-to-play Fastpass system being constantly let in front of me all day, I can no longer think to myself as I did under the old system, "it's okay, I used my FP+ to jump ahead of some folks and they're using theirs for the same thing -- it's pretty fair." Instead, I'm going to feel continually demoralized and less-than. Ditto for those who paid thousands for their vacation but didn't happen to stay deluxe and are being herded out of the park at night like so much cattle, so that deluxe guests can get the park to themselves. It will be particularly hard to swallow for those of us old enough to remember when all onsite guests got EMH privileges on select nights, rich and poor alike. That was magic. This is just callous.

In short, instead of making all onsite guests or all ticketholders feel special and pixie-dusted, which is what the previous perks did, the psychological impact of the new systems will be to make the majority of guests feel inferior. Disney isn't just giving more to those who pay more anymore (which was never objectionable, as that's how a free market works): it's visibly taking things away from those who pay less, in order to give it to those who pay more. I hate, loathe, deplore and abhor it with every fiber of my being.
But that's not true. people who did the personal tour thingy have always skipped the line. always. It's no different than someone watching the fast pass line going by while someone waits in the standby side now I would agree if some guest got free fast pass and others did not but that's not what is happening. everyone is losing the free fast pass not just values or mods. same thing with the dessert party. I did that thing one time and it was always segregated in a special viewing area. you mean now you can't watch the fireworks at MK without getting the dessert party? I haven't been in two years but I did not know it changed that much. so you can't stand on main street and watch the fireworks?
I hated when they herded folks out the park for those after hours party but I had the same opportunity to purchase a party ticket like everyone else. I can't get mad when they ask me to leave if I didn't purchase a ticket.

Disstevefan1

Why? Because you’re spending $$ to stay in a Disney resort…are we going to have a caste system when staying on property?

Let’s charge double parking fees if you drive a luxury car…
Are guests going to be penalized for bringing their own food into the parks?
What’s next…oh I know, let’s take out ALL the coffee makers and microwaves from the values so guests MUST purchase food on property. Guests in deluxe resorts can have that perk since they spent so much for their rooms, they should be ENTITLED to eat and drink their own…where will it end?
I think there is an unspoken caste system in WDW.

Folks will pay more for better rooms, folks will pay more for the "best" restaurants, folks will pay for the hard ticket event parties like the fireworks desert parties and the best of all, the ticketed parties WITHIN the halloween and Christmas parties. The lowly folks who only paid for the party, could look over and watch the special folks who paid for the party WITHIN the party.

The pay per ride fast pass system that is on the way is just another way to keep up with the Joneses. Will I buy a fastpass? If I can get one for TRON, yes, so I can ride it once.

Smiley/OCD

I think there is an unspoken caste system in WDW.

Folks will pay more for better rooms, folks will pay more for the "best" restaurants, folks will pay for the hard ticket event parties like the fireworks desert parties and the best of all, the ticketed parties WITHIN the halloween and Christmas parties. The lowly folks who only paid for the party, could look over and watch the special folks who paid for the party WITHIN the party.

The pay per ride fast pass system that is on the way is just another way to keep up with the Joneses. Will I buy a fastpass? If I can get one for TRON, yes, so I can ride it once.
Don't get me wrong, while I'm not happy about those things, (and we've been to the parties), I understand them. But as a guest who CHOSE to book a resort on property as opposed to an off property hotel, they shouldn't be penalized because I could only afford to stay at an All-Star resort as opposed to Poly. That's all I'm sayin'. The majority of rooms are value & moderate...if they alienate those guests, what's next?

Disstevefan1

Don't get me wrong, while I'm not happy about those things, (and we've been to the parties), I understand them. But as a guest who CHOSE to book a resort on property as opposed to an off property hotel, they shouldn't be penalized because I could only afford to stay at an All-Star resort as opposed to Poly. That's all I'm sayin'. The majority of rooms are value & moderate...if they alienate those guests, what's next?
I too have been to Halloween and Christmas parties a couple of times, I have never done the desert parties or the parties within the parties and I have spent ONE night at the Contemporary.

I hear you and agree onsite guests should have perks that that folks staying off site should not. If you stay at the All Stars you should get perks that folks staying off site do not.

That said, Folks who are paying the huge dollars to sleep in the deluxe resorts should get perks that folks staying at the All Stars do not. I think you should both get some sort of perk, but the deluxe resorts should get more/better perks whatever that could be.

To be clear, I am saying this as a person that will probably never stay in a deluxe.

Disney is not intentionally alienating guests, as much as they are trying to make the most money they can for their most important entity, the shareholder.

Weather_Lady

But that's not true. people who did the personal tour thingy have always skipped the line. always. It's no different than someone watching the fast pass line going by while someone waits in the standby side now I would agree if some guest got free fast pass and others did not but that's not what is happening. everyone is losing the free fast pass not just values or mods. same thing with the dessert party. I did that thing one time and it was always segregated in a special viewing area. you mean now you can't watch the fireworks at MK without getting the dessert party? I haven't been in two years but I did not know it changed that much. so you can't stand on main street and watch the fireworks?
I hated when they herded folks out the park for those after hours party but I had the same opportunity to purchase a party ticket like everyone else. I can't get mad when they ask me to leave if I didn't purchase a ticket.
Read my post again. There's no need to respond with sarcasm and hyperbole: I complained about the increased visibility of Disney dividing guests into classes, not the fact of stratification itself.

eliza61nyc

Read my post again. There's no need to respond with sarcasm and hyperbole: I complained about the increased visibility of Disney dividing guests into classes, not the fact of stratification itself.
My apologies WL, I really wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I really did panic and start googling when I read your post. I have not been to wdw since pre pandemic and I thought you were saying that a new change meant you had to get the dessert party in order to view the fireworks.

Again my sincere apologies, I misunderstood.
Has there been any information on a paid fast pass system.

So to go back to the original post, if Disney is alienating 90% of it's guest that will show itself really quickly

Last edited:

Tom P.

If I rolled my eyes any harder at this, they would fall out. A caste system? Overly dramatic much? This is Walt Disney World, a luxury vacation resort destination. Guess what? If you can go at all, you are already among the wealthiest people in the history of planet Earth. So give me a break that you are somehow being discriminated against because someone who pays thousands of dollars more than you gets a little extra time in a frickin' theme park.

Club Cooloholic

Nice to throw in a dig using Universal. You do realize that the Universal Express Pass is included if you have a resort room at the Portofino
or the Hard Rock, but not at Cabana Bay or the wonderful Endless Summer resort. You know, now that you pointed it out, maybe Disney decided to do it, because they saw Universal was able to get away with it. The same way Universal was charging for resort parking years before Disney ever did it. By the way, I have been to Cabana Bay, great is not a description I would use.
It's not a dig, I am just stating the facts. Most anyone that stayed at Cabana Bay and then Art of Animation will tell you the value is at Cabana Bay, except maybe you? Seriously, better bars, amenities (bowling, pools with slide and lazy river), nicer rooms at a better price and you can walk to the gates.. I would say that is a clear winner. And yes I am well aware that you don't get the express pass at Cabana but you still get the early entry for Harry Potter.

Last edited:

AFoodie

Disney regulars staying off-property may not hurt the big corporation as much as you think. Don’t forget, there are plenty of travelers not as well-versed or first timers who still will pay because they don’t know what they’re missing.

eliza61nyc

Disney regulars staying off-property may not hurt the big corporation as much as you think. Don’t forget, there are plenty of travelers not as well-versed or first timers who still will pay because they don’t know what they’re missing.
but if they don't know what they are missing, are they really missing anything.

This is always the "old-timers" vs. "youngins" argument. It's like when your parents or grandparents start the "when I use to go" stories. I'm guilty of it, when I purchased my dvc membership you got free length of stay passes and a nifty tote bag. now? lol not so much.

I remember when I first came on this site and everyone was waxing poetically about how great Epcot used to be (I didn't really go to wdw until the late 90's after a disastrous family trip when I was young). the problem is hearing about how great it was really means nothing. I went and watched a few of the recommended ride videos and thought to myself "really?" this is exciting? and still came away with the feeling of " i'm not missing much".

I really think what makes people more angry than anything Disney does. the fact that there are travelers who actually really enjoy their vacations and don't see these issues as anything big. it's like folks are mad that everyone is not moving off site.

I also think how you travel elsewhere influences how you view these things. Most folks now already know that you get perks based on either loyalty clubs and a paid upgrade. air travelers now know if you want more leg room you pay for that privilege. the days of privileged service from take off to landing are looooong gone. same with hotel amenities, most frequent travelers know that the guy in the Waldorf is not having the same experience as the guy in the motel six, what's more most folks who book value places don't expect Waldorf type amenities and don't feel they are worth it.

the world has changed. Just my take

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

but if they don't know what they are missing, are they really missing anything.

This is always the "old-timers" vs. "youngins" argument. It's like when your parents or grandparents start the "when I use to go" stories. I'm guilty of it, when I purchased my dvc membership you got free length of stay passes and a nifty tote bag. now? lol not so much.

I remember when I first came on this site and everyone was waxing poetically about how great Epcot used to be (I didn't really go to wdw until the late 90's after a disastrous family trip when I was young). the problem is hearing about how great it was really means nothing. I went and watched a few of the recommended ride videos and thought to myself "really?" this is exciting? and still came away with the feeling of " i'm not missing much".

I really think what makes people more angry than anything Disney does. the fact that there are travelers who actually really enjoy their vacations and don't see these issues as anything big. it's like folks are mad that everyone is not moving off site.

I also think how you travel elsewhere influences how you view these things. Most folks now already know that you get perks based on either loyalty clubs and a paid upgrade. air travelers now know if you want more leg room you pay for that privilege. the days of privileged service from take off to landing are looooong gone. same with hotel amenities, most frequent travelers know that the guy in the Waldorf is not having the same experience as the guy in the motel six, what's more most folks who book value places don't expect Waldorf type amenities and don't feel they are worth it.

the world has changed. Just my take
Off property options are even greater with Airbnb options. Watch....2 years from now there will be a DVC convertion at many Values and Moderates. "We just haven't seen the same demand for these properties but so many want to get into DVC and this gives them a more affordable buy in. Only $120 a point to stay at our new All Star DVC studios!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom