News Disney After Hours at Walt Disney World (2024)

Worldlover71

Can anyone speculate as to why no dates for January or February have sold out yet? I feel like last year at this time every event in January and going into February was sold out at HS. Do you think they are selling more ticket?
It has been reported elsewhere that travel in general, and especially to WDW, is expected to be down this year. All the pent-up demand caused by Covid shutdowns has now been met, so no more "revenge travel".

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
So lemme get this straight…

People are paying for 5 extra hours to the tune of $170 a pop for characters?
Actual adults with a credit score?

Hmmm…at least it doesn’t appear alot of people are paying 🤓
My parents, who like me have excellent credit, are coming down to visit me in January. They haven't been to DHS in quite some time and want to see all of the "new stuff" (Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, Runaway Railway). This works out perfectly for them because they can see everything they wish to see in one night with very low wait times and smaller crowds.

Incidentally, they aren't visiting any other parks on this trip. Next year when they come down, they'll probably do an After Hours at either Epcot or MK. It works for them, but I'm not sure they're the typical Disney customer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It has been reported elsewhere that travel in general, and especially to WDW, is expected to be down this year. All the pent-up demand caused by Covid shutdowns has now been met, so no more "revenge travel".
That was what happened last year after New Years.

A recent news story on air travel claimed that airlines are expecting pre-pandemic normalcy this year. Which should be less than the 'revenge travelling' of two years ago, but more than last year. Whether that equates in a similar pendulum in WDW numbers is to be seen.

bmr1591

Is DE expected to get extended for more DAH Nights?

I can't imagine they wouldn't. I'm genuinely shocked how many on here (not necessarily you) hate the idea of DE being shown at AH in place of...nothing else?

Can anyone speculate as to why no dates for January or February have sold out yet? I feel like last year at this time every event in January and going into February was sold out at HS. Do you think they are selling more ticket?

Not enough demand. Disney is expensive and this is just another expense.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The missing factoid here is every major travel market was up in 2023…

…except for the Orlando mega parks

Now that could be random - as Disney has blamed - or something much worse…which Disney will never admit

heapster411

this is how Bob can tell shareholders record profit but with less people...sell the parks twice

brilliantly stupid however
So if this is successful, How long before the decide to have day tickets and separate night tickets ? May sound off the deep end, but behind closed doors do you think it was brought up? If you keep nudging people with separate hard ticket "parties" MNSHWP, Jollywood Nights, MWMCP, and DAH, what's to stop them?

bmr1591

I can't see that being the case. I don't see an issue with some late night parties throughout the year, especially if there's special entertainment at the events, but I can't imagine them kicking people out at 5 unless they have a night ticket every day.

MagicHappens1971

So if this is successful, How long before the decide to have day tickets and separate night tickets ?
There's no way this will ever happen. I think that would be *the* final straw for a lot of people. Also logistically it's probably more work than it's worth. I think we also have exaggerated the parties/after hour events. For example. Between January 11th and June 27th, there will be 15 DAH events @ MK. 15 nights out of the 168 days between those dates accounts for 0.09% of the days. To break it down even further, between January 10th and August 29th there are 22 nights out of the 232 days @ DHS.

This event is for sure a way for Disney to generate extra revenue and cut park hours for us plebians, but the event is also a nice solution to Disney's self-made problems... Don't want to wait in line? Hate Genie+? --- join us at Disney After Hours for just $170, this 3 hour experience can all be yours.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So if this is successful, How long before the decide to have day tickets and separate night tickets ? May sound off the deep end, but behind closed doors do you think it was brought up? If you keep nudging people with separate hard ticket "parties" MNSHWP, Jollywood Nights, MWMCP, and DAH, what's to stop them?
Block pricing?

It’s been the goal for years.

Fall for it and it’s on us

There's no way this will ever happen. I think that would be *the* final straw for a lot of people. Also logistically it's probably more work than it's worth. I think we also have exaggerated the parties/after hour events. For example. Between January 11th and June 27th, there will be 15 DAH events @ MK. 15 nights out of the 168 days between those dates accounts for 0.09% of the days. To break it down even further, between January 10th and August 29th there are 22 nights out of the 232 days @ DHS.

This event is for sure a way for Disney to generate extra revenue and cut park hours for us plebians, but the event is also a nice solution to Disney's self-made problems... Don't want to wait in line? Hate Genie+? --- join us at Disney After Hours for just $170, this 3 hour experience can all be yours.
Just going to correct your math here - its 9% not 0.09%. It's still only a small % of days as you originally pointed out.

jrhwdw

I can't imagine they wouldn't. I'm genuinely shocked how many on here (not necessarily you) hate the idea of DE being shown at AH in place of...nothing else?

Not enough demand. Disney is expensive and this is just another expense.
Yeah, DE 2024 is NOT Hurting HEA in any way!!!

Actually it's nice seeing MK do 2 complete Fireworks Shows for DAH! MK should consider that for Day Guests since MK won't touch OUAT's Return (OUAT has barely any Pyro, but it's something) or put anything on Main Street..........

Last edited:

Dreamfinder975

Okay, I know I said I would postpone this till tomorrow (well today I guess) but like overall I’m just super disappointed at Epcot’s after hours event. First of all the coordinating of it was kind of a mess. We had no idea what characters would be out and were expecting it to be similar to Hollywood Studios since they advertised it as such. Instead we got 4 characters dancing to millennial music that your nephew Tommy would jam out to on Friday night while negating his family obligations. And it’s not like you can escape this music, it follows you throughout the park. It was also frustrating not knowing specifically where characters would be. Like I get they have to keep which characters are there a secret since they don’t really know whose working what shift but is it too much to ask to put a ? On the map and say (mystery character encounter). Also having most of world showcase closed was such a pain in the behind. It just felt like an overall underwhelming experience and I really hope they improve it. I mean Hollywood studios was so much better and while magic kingdom had the usual characters, they actually had things, and good things to do. Epcot there’s really only frozen, ratatouille, spaceship earth, soarin’ and guaridians I guess. Here’s hoping they improve it!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This thread got bumped…and is quite amusing to look at one year ago’s comments

Everyone “having” to buy the night double sell…not knowing attendance was about to fall off a cliff

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay, I know I said I would postpone this till tomorrow (well today I guess) but like overall I’m just super disappointed at Epcot’s after hours event. First of all the coordinating of it was kind of a mess. We had no idea what characters would be out and were expecting it to be similar to Hollywood Studios since they advertised it as such. Instead we got 4 characters dancing to millennial music that your nephew Tommy would jam out to on Friday night while negating his family obligations. And it’s not like you can escape this music, it follows you throughout the park. It was also frustrating not knowing specifically where characters would be. Like I get they have to keep which characters are there a secret since they don’t really know whose working what shift but is it too much to ask to put a ? On the map and say (mystery character encounter). Also having most of world showcase closed was such a pain in the behind. It just felt like an overall underwhelming experience and I really hope they improve it. I mean Hollywood studios was so much better and while magic kingdom had the usual characters, they actually had things, and good things to do. Epcot there’s really only frozen, ratatouille, spaceship earth, soarin’ and guaridians I guess. Here’s hoping they improve it!
Here’s an idea: stop buying them. They are running a developing disaster in the swamp…and trying to repackage and resell every minute of the day is a huge reason for it

I’m not blaming “you” for their actions…but the management are like dogs…if you keep feeding them…they’ll keep trying to eat.

Last edited:

Dreamfinder975

Here’s an idea: stop buying them. They are running a developing disaster in the swamp…and trying to repackage and resell every minute of the day is a huge reason for it

I’m not blaming “you” for their actions…but the management are like dogs…if you keep feeding them…they’ll keep trying to eat.

Yeah, I definitely understand what you are saying but I guess my fault laid in the expectation comparative to the other after hours I experienced. So my first experience was Hollywood Studios After hours this trip. That I would say was easily the best in the bunch. Now on one hand they did not have meet and greet characters marked at specific locations (like I said before I understand you can’t say character A is here, because you don’t know who is working what schedule, but I think an easy compromise to that would be a ? On the map and to specify that it is maybe a mystery character encounter.) But thanks to WDW here, and trying my best navigating skills, I was able to get everyone beside mic and min but since it wasn’t like a physical interaction, I didn’t think that was as much of a priority. *Now my navigation skills weren’t perfect we did end up circling several times in the same areas which yes it would have been nice to have a map at Hollywood studios after hours but since the park is so small, it really wasn’t as big of a deal to me. Magic Kingdom’s was great from the standpoint of the riding aspect. I mean I got a lot done and I didn’t mind they didn’t have special characters since they actually have a good variety of rides. I specifically had the biggest issues with Epcot as none of the cast members knew were the characters would be and the common phrase was “look at the pamphlet and it will tell you all you need to know, *which btw the pamphlet only says random characters scattered throughout the park* and before I continue I do feel obliged to say that it isn’t the cast members fault, they are just doing what management has told them. And I disliked that the DJ music was playing throughout the park, like it’s totally fine to have a DJ area, but I feel like you go to Epcot to enjoy the music and to be soothed and relaxed with the ambiance and instead I ended up feeling agitated. I just think the coordination of Epcots party specifically was so much more messy than the others that it left me a bit disappointed. And this is my first time attending this version of this kind of event, so I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect. But I understand what you are saying, when you buy a ticket you are giving them the money and the motivation to continue this kind of thing in the future, but I did make sure I stressed basically my key points above to guest relations so maybe that could be something constructive that comes out of this.

bmr1591

Yeah, I definitely understand what you are saying but I guess my fault laid in the expectation comparative to the other after hours I experienced. So my first experience was Hollywood Studios After hours this trip. That I would say was easily the best in the bunch. Now on one hand they did not have meet and greet characters marked at specific locations (like I said before I understand you can’t say character A is here, because you don’t know who is working what schedule, but I think an easy compromise to that would be a ? On the map and to specify that it is maybe a mystery character encounter.) But thanks to WDW here, and trying my best navigating skills, I was able to get everyone beside mic and min but since it wasn’t like a physical interaction, I didn’t think that was as much of a priority. *Now my navigation skills weren’t perfect we did end up circling several times in the same areas which yes it would have been nice to have a map at Hollywood studios after hours but since the park is so small, it really wasn’t as big of a deal to me. Magic Kingdom’s was great from the standpoint of the riding aspect. I mean I got a lot done and I didn’t mind they didn’t have special characters since they actually have a good variety of rides. I specifically had the biggest issues with Epcot as none of the cast members knew were the characters would be and the common phrase was “look at the pamphlet and it will tell you all you need to know, *which btw the pamphlet only says random characters scattered throughout the park* and before I continue I do feel obliged to say that it isn’t the cast members fault, they are just doing what management has told them. And I disliked that the DJ music was playing throughout the park, like it’s totally fine to have a DJ area, but I feel like you go to Epcot to enjoy the music and to be soothed and relaxed with the ambiance and instead I ended up feeling agitated. I just think the coordination of Epcots party specifically was so much more messy than the others that it left me a bit disappointed. And this is my first time attending this version of this kind of event, so I wasn’t 100% sure what to expect. But I understand what you are saying, when you buy a ticket you are giving them the money and the motivation to continue this kind of thing in the future, but I did make sure I stressed basically my key points above to guest relations so maybe that could be something constructive that comes out of this.

What characters ended up being there?

Dreamfinder975

What characters ended up being there?
I will do my best to tell where as well.

So Pluto was at the front of the park near the dreamer’s statue.

Chip and Dale were at the DJ booth right by creations, on the way to guardians.

Mickey was in Paris in the Gazebo (right by the entrance to Ratatouille) with the Aurora painting.

I think that’s all unfortunately, but it is possible I missed some since the communication seemed to be kinda of lackluster *although we asked several cast members and I didn’t see anyone else out.*

Now if you do have photo pass there are a bunch of different photo opportunities.

*these are the rememberable photopass thingy’s that I can remember.*

There was a glow up Mickey light that you could hold on the bridge that goes between France and UK.

There was also a tinkerbell light you could hold at a gazebo in UK.

Canada had pics by the totem statue.

Mexico had one close to the pyramid where it was in the background. (Also if you dislike the pop music they had a mariachi band that was a nice change of pace and made me very happy.)

Also at least 2 by guardians ship.

That’s all the major ones I can think of off the top of my head, but basically any place in the day that you would get photopass, it is likely they’ll be someone in that spot, (Just not in the 2/3 of world showcase that’s closed :/ )

I hope this was really helpful, because I know if I had some of this information, I think I’d be able to take it easy more and I mean I know it was the first party I just wish the cast members knew more as we got closer to the party. Good luck and I hope you have an enjoyable experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom