Disney’s Q3 FY21 Earnings Results Webcast

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1628805639533.png

peng

Q: I like the digital pivot, BUT.... We're not nearly charging as much as cable did... so?....

A: Bob -- We're just only getting started.
Charging as much as cable will make people leave in droves, one of the reasons HBO Max was struggling was because of AT&T's arrogance in charging HBO prices. Since then, they had to scramble so it wasn't DOA.
Won't be once Feige bails.
Feige has threatened to bail before and the last time he did, Iger gave him significantly more power in marvel. I don't think he's too happy about the approach to the Scarlet Johannason lawsuit and if Chapek keeps this up, he'll probably bail. A lot of people at PIXAR are miffed that their films are Disney+ exclusives, and given his track record with the parks, I won't be surprised if we don't see a talent exodus in the next year considering Chapek is speedrunning Eisner's later years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Charging as much as cable will make people leave in droves, one of the reasons HBO Max was struggling was because of AT&T's arrogance in charging HBO prices. Since then, they had to scramble so it wasn't DOA.
I believe the point was that before cord-cutting, people were paying $70-$80 a month for cable.

So, when they cut the cord, there is room for the OTT market to expand.

So, how much can Disney's streamers get of that pie?

peng

I believe the point was that before cord-cutting, people were paying $70-$80 a month for cable.

As of now a lot, currently Disney+ has the most subscribers of the ones launched by the legacy streamers. I don't think we're going to be seeing any big pushback for now, but subscriber churn will definitely increase when the prices go up. Most people rotate streaming services, I usually buy yearlong subscriptions, as it saves me money month to month, but if Disney gets too agressive with raising their prices, I'm expecting numbers to drop.

We've also begun to see the trades start talking about Chapek like we do here too and despite the high numbers, each of the Marvel shows have been recieved worse and worse (Black Widow bombed too, but then again, so did pretty much every movie released this year), but it will take a while to see any change. A bad experience is a bad experience, it's just a question about how much they can take, and since Disney is still synonymous with theme parks, it will take a while to see any decline.

mightynine

I think the point was better explained by: with cable in the salad days, you got money from every subscriber, regardless of whether they watched Disney Channel, ESPN, Freeform, etc. or not.

Now, they're dropping cable and you have to make the case for many of them to sign up for Disney+ or the Disney bundle (Bring in The Streamer!).

0*nSGuaKnwQrFFXByO.jpg

So how are you going to make a similar or greater amount of money? That's honestly an answer no one knows, but they'll keep taking those cable fees for as long as they can.

Any mention of Disney Store’s future?
You're welcome to visit their four flagship locations in Orlando, FL. Just make a reservation first!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom