Disney’s Q2 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

peng

Numbers in the sheet seem really good, also saw a slight increase in capex for parks projects, which is a good sign, probably the first really good quarter for Disney in a while. Stock seems to be steady now.
Hulu is destined to become fully integrated on D+ as a blade on the Home Screen. It seems many believe that effectively killing Hulu will not be a good thing.

ESPN is a disaster that’s only going to get worse with no solution short of breaking it up and selling it piecemeal or finding a large tech company to buy it outright.
I think the reason disney is slowly turning Hulu into almost nothing is that it has almost no footprint outside of the states, as they've been using Star in its place for most countries (merging Hulu's tech stack into Disney+'s will also probably save a ton of money too). They're probably overpaying for the remaining bits they don't own, but it doesn't make sense to operate multiple streamers at the same time (Sony's doing fine with that strategy, but AMC's small army of niche streamers isn't doing that hot outside of Shudder).

ESPN has value as sports is the last thing that is anything of worth on cable TV, which is a wasteland at the moment. Breaking it up would be a horrible idea compared to flipping it, as it would probably get a big asking price on the open market. The rest of the cable channels not named FX or the Disney Channel should get sold at this point though, Freeform is nigh useless and disney pulled a Zaslav on Nat Geo. Hell FX should be prioritized over the disney channel at this point as FX is the main driver of originals for Hulu.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
*Disney+ and Hulu combined were profitable.
Indeed the important part:

The company reported its fiscal Q2 earnings early Tuesday morning, disclosing that its combined direct-to-consumer businesses of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ lost only $18 million last quarter, on revenues of $6.2 billion, and that when ESPN+ is removed from that equation, the entertainment streaming business was actually profitable, with revenues of $5.6 billion and a net profit of $47 million.​

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
We’ll see how it shakes out today. The headline number is bad but also influenced by a huge write down on their Indian business that they more or less own by accident. The traders haven’t had their coffee yet.
Core ARPU is where it's at. Everything else is just a distraction. Disney DTC missed on this quarter with ARPU because of Charter. Is it sustainable?
I’m not saying it will wind up positive, just that tracking for premarket earnings can move.
Seems like the broader realization maybe that upward movement on DTC, especially without any compelling content for the foreseeable future is going to weigh things down.
I think the most concerning new news in the earnings as an investor is the softness in domestic hotel demand. Especially at Disneyland which is historically always sold out.
Canary in the coal mine. It's a major problem for them, especially with all the new stuff not even announced and years out from seeing a guest. They've pushed many guests away because of the their desire to extract maximum revenue from them. Will they ever come back? Will new guests replace them?

Ayla

monothingie

Premium Member
Stock had a climb for the past two days and after closing. The pre-market this morning went down and coming back up. A large amount of trading just took place bringing it up to where it was just two days ago.

And someone has a huge order in for $117 and so it's bouncing back and forth between 110 and 117. Crazy.

View attachment 783727
Fat finger?
Cat Working GIF

CTRL-Z
CTRL-Z
UNDO
UNDO

ABQ

Woah, what did they do to cause this rather large jump in the effective tax rate? Typical corp tax rate is 21%

1715084188353.png

monothingie

Premium Member
It is *part* of the calculus. You can make up for discounted subs if you gain substantially more.
Question:
Do the wholesale Charter subs actually use it? (affects ad revenue)
Do the wholesale Charter subs cancel a retail account (full price) in favor of the "free" offering to them?

It's becomes a game of diminishing returns.

lentesta

Premium Member
Canary in the coal mine. It's a major problem for them, especially with all the new stuff not even announced and years out from seeing a guest. They've pushed many guests away because of the their desire to extract maximum revenue from them. Will they ever come back? Will new guests replace them?

This is the worrying thing for me. If I'm reading this correctly, the domestic Experiences increases come down to "inflation" and "we charged more for what we already have." Is that right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom