News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2021 Earnings Results Webcast

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The price increases, scaling back portions and all of those strategies aren't surprising. What continues to be surprising is how the current Disney management group has no issue with publicly talking about the guest as a dollar sign. There isn't even an attempt to be respectful.
All true. Bob doesn’t care as long as he gets your money.

As I’ve said for a while - It will take a lobotomy of the top (and particularly with the BoD) and outside hires more in the mold of Walt/Eisner/Ouimet to turn this ship around at this point. And since the BoD isn’t going to change anytime soon…

15+ years of Iger has poisoned the well, unless you’re a large shareholder. But I have no doubts that the current slaphead in charge won’t be able to hold off the revolt if/when his policies and decisions send profits tumbling. I’m hoping for sooner than later on that, personally.

Bob Harlem

PT Barnum's spirit is running Disney now. I've never heard such a earning call take guests that much for granted. Universal's quarter call recently called out Orlando having all time record profits for the quarter, and they were talking about expansions. This one is almost the exact opposite of that.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Why sugar coat it? Til guests stop coming there is no point sugar coating things.

That’s the point, I think. Their disdain for the public and hubris are now fully on display for all to see. If people don’t open their eyes and see through their pixie dust-induced haze and vote with their wallet, then they 100% deserve what Chappie is shoveling.

DisneyNorthFan

Incredibly insulting comments about cutting portions and serving that up as if they are doing guests a favor by helping them go on a much needed diet. I'll respect doing what you need to do to make your margins, but this unnecessary follow-up comment is neither cute nor clever. Seems leadership could use a lesson in respecting the guest.

Lilofan

Incredibly insulting comments about cutting portions and serving that up as if they are doing guests a favor by helping them go on a much needed diet. I'll respect doing what you need to do to make your margins, but this unnecessary follow-up comment is neither cute nor clever. Seems leadership could use a lesson in respecting the guest.
How about meeting and talking with a guest? The CFO who made the comment perhaps has no exposure or even contact with guests.

hopemax

This all comes down to customer behavior, beyond 2022.

I know its hard to believe there will be a breaking point. Especially, with how customers have responded pre-pandemic and now by just paying up. But the same could be said about the labor crisis. All the straws that had building up for years about working conditions, compensation, expectations employers placed on employees that weren't reciprocated... It seemed like none of it mattered to get people to change jobs, change careers, up until the moment where it *all* mattered and now it's a big problem to clean up. It's not a matter of just walking back the last few things to get things back to balance. I do believe the same will happen on the consumer side.

We are really bad at deprivation, we hate the word no. The sudden stop, the post-vaccination restart and fast acceleration, I feel like there is going to be a hard break at some point, to shed excess speed, before we get back to economic equilibrium. Another round of whiplash to endure. It's absolutely understandable that after 2020 was so much deprivation and not being able to spend discretionary money in the manner of which people are used to, that 2021 and early 2022 would be a gorge-fest by those who aren't used to having so much forced disruption and used to rewarding themselves for surviving the daily grind of life with things and vacations. Plus having 2020+2021 funds to finance it all. With real consequences for systems that aren't built to withstand large, unpredictable changes in demand (up or down, and we did both). I just don't see how the money holds out for enough people, long term. Or the lines of credit. We can already see, in general, people are showing signs of breaking. The blame game directed toward the usual suspects is already at cruising speed. But it will spill over into another round of changing purchasing decisions when the bills start piling up. The question is where does Disney end up, the one thing people try to hold onto or something that can be let go. Comments like today, are the things that make it a little easier to just let Disney go.

Lilofan

This all comes down to customer behavior, beyond 2022.

I know its hard to believe there will be a breaking point. Especially, with how customers have responded pre-pandemic and now by just paying up. But the same could be said about the labor crisis. All the straws that had building up for years about working conditions, compensation, expectations employers placed on employees that weren't reciprocated... It seemed like none of it mattered to get people to change jobs, change careers, up until the moment where it *all* mattered and now it's a big problem to clean up. It's not a matter of just walking back the last few things to get things back to balance. I do believe the same will happen on the consumer side.

We are really bad at deprivation, we hate the word no. The sudden stop, the post-vaccination restart and fast acceleration, I feel like there is going to be a hard break at some point, to shed excess speed, before we get back to economic equilibrium. Another round of whiplash to endure. It's absolutely understandable that after 2020 was so much deprivation and not being able to spend discretionary money in the manner of which people are used to, that 2021 and early 2022 would be a gorge-fest by those who aren't used to having so much forced disruption and used to rewarding themselves for surviving the daily grind of life with things and vacations. Plus having 2020+2021 funds to finance it all. With real consequences for systems that aren't built to withstand large, unpredictable changes in demand (up or down, and we did both). I just don't see how the money holds out for enough people, long term. Or the lines of credit. We can already see, in general, people are showing signs of breaking. The blame game directed toward the usual suspects is already at cruising speed. But it will spill over into another round of changing purchasing decisions when the bills start piling up. The question is where does Disney end up, the one thing people try to hold onto or something that can be let go. Comments like today, are the things that make it a little easier to just let Disney go.
Funds to finance it all? Credit card debt is skyrocketing to record levels.

JeffH

They need to expand Genie to include Potty Paradise, where it finds the nearest 'premium' bathroom featuring a roomy private stall (full walls) with bidet sprayer and premium TP to dry with & adequate airflow (and scented candles?). And in regard to this particular article full portions of orders if ordered with/through Genie. Clubcar pickups in the parking lot. Food delivery to your parade/fireworks spot.

Lilofan

"McCarthy said, "I was talking to our parks senior team about things that we could do there. There are lots of things that are worth talking about. We can adjust suppliers. We can substitute products. We can cut portion size which is probably good for some people's wastelines."

Did Disney just permit an exec to publicly fat shame people? What happened to Diversity and Inclusion?
What she said was on record but did anyone notice the feedback by guests is only restricted to social media and forums? None of the worldwide media is even picking up and reporting on the portion size comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom