News Disney’s Fiscal Full Year and Q4 2021 Earnings Results Webcast

pdude81

While I think it is more restrictive than in the past for DCL, isn't that still more than most cruise lines allow you? Most I thought don't allow you to bring any alcohol on board for consumption while on the ship.
For me the ugly part is charging 25 bucks per bottle for the right to bring a $20 bottle of wine or champagne on board. At least they allow you to buy spirits at port and bring them home though if you find something interesting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For me the ugly part is charging 25 bucks per bottle for the right to bring a $20 bottle of wine or champagne on board. At least they allow you to buy spirits at port and bring them home though if you find something interesting.
You mean corking fees?

that just proves how ridiculous their bottle prices are…

MrPromey

To be fair, she followed up by saying they wouldn't necessarily go right to pricing.

But smaller portions are a de facto price increase so I suppose it's a distinction without a difference.
They can't go right to pricing. They already took that low hanging fruit and are getting regularly called out on it not just in places like these forums but popular media.

They used that ace when they wanted to grow profits and now don't have it when they need it to maintain profits.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

They can't go right to pricing. They already took that low hanging fruit and are getting regularly called out on it not just in places like these forums but popular media.
TS, sure, they're probably maxed out on price in the short term. But I think there's room in QS. I shared earlier this month that chicken strips with fries are $15 at my local amusement park. They're $9.99 at Cosmic Ray's.

pdude81

You mean corking fees?

that just proves how ridiculous their bottle prices are…
Exactly. Now if this is only if you want to bring your bottle to dinner then not terrible. I unfortunately have not been on a cruise yet so I don't know the ins and outs of how this is applied. Just paid the ransom (deposit) for next fall though, so I will find out one way or another.

MrPromey

TS, sure, they're probably maxed out on price in the short term. But I think there's room in QS. I shared earlier this month that chicken strips with fries are $15 at my local amusement park. They're $9.99 at Cosmic Ray's.
Good point. I'm primarily thinking of rooms and tickets but they could inconsistently raise prices on various food, merchandise, and experience options in a way that doesn't look like a blanket increase and would likely be missed by most of the public and general media.

Obviously, you'll notice if those chicken strips go up and we'll all complain and talk trash if the large bucket of popcorn goes up by $1-$3 but if it's not like a blanket 10%-50% price increase across all food on a menu, at a location, or resort-wide a lot of people probably won't. :facepalm:

sullyinMT

Exactly. Now if this is only if you want to bring your bottle to dinner then not terrible. I unfortunately have not been on a cruise yet so I don't know the ins and outs of how this is applied. Just paid the ransom (deposit) for next fall though, so I will find out one way or another.
It’s a dining room thing. You’re more than welcome to pack a wine key in your checked bags (they’ll confiscate a carry-on like TSA), and enjoy the wine in your stateroom or even walking the ship.

It’s an industry standard that they’re following, but DCL used to be much more liberal with their alcohol policy.

Roy G. Dis

My only takeaway from this earnings call is that Disney+ is stalling. I wonder how they missed the earnings target by so much though.

Most Americans are overweight. I've been overweight in my past. The truth of that comment doesn't bother me. A dumb spin on cutting portion sizes for "my benefit" is just that, a spin... we know it's to save money.

It also doesn't bother me to be reminded that consumers are dollar signs to a business. I like the "magic" but TANSTAAFL.

ImperfectPixie

Some on budget and savvy just brown bag and eat on a park bench in the parks.
SHHHHHHHH!!! Don't give them any ideas...we can't let them put a stop to bringing your own food in.
I don't think you can bring "food" into the park, but you can eat a good breakfast (outside of park), bring a snack into the park, and have dinner in the Disney area....
Yup. They even list what size coolers are allowed in on the park rules page.

Ayla

I agree with your comment but I'm thinking more along the lines of when I order a cheese burger and it comes with 4 servings of fries or I go to 50's Prime Time and there is the samplings platter with fried chicken, meatloaf, pot roast, with all the fixins or i just order the fried chicken and it comes with 3 pieces of chicken. Who really needs all that food? Don't get me wrong I love to eat, I just know that if it's put in front of me most times I'll try to eat it all and then end up regretting it.

And yes I now realize that maybe I'm missing the point that they just raised the prices once again and are now talking about reducing portions but keeping the same raised price. I'll stick with my original comment that portions need reduced.
From my understanding, they were talking about reducing serving sizes AND increasing the price for that reduced portion.

doctornick

Just to be clear, that's a corking fee if you are drinking the wine at your dinner table. You can open the bottle and drink it in your room for no extra charge. And I think that similar corking fees are pretty much an industry standard among cruise lines that allow you to bring alcohol on board (which isn't itself all cruise lines).

DCL is quite expensive, but I've always been of the impression that their alcohol policy is one of the more permissive in the industry. Others can correct me if that is not the case.

Ayla

Just to be clear, that's a corking fee if you are drinking the wine at your dinner table. You can open the bottle and drink it in your room for no extra charge. And I think that similar corking fees are pretty much an industry standard among cruise lines that allow you to bring alcohol on board (which isn't itself all cruise lines).

DCL is quite expensive, but I've always been of the impression that their alcohol policy is one of the more permissive in the industry. Others can correct me if that is not the case.
Being able to bring on a $40 bottle of wine does not justify in any way paying at least twice the fare per person compared to other lines.

pdude81

It’s a dining room thing. You’re more than welcome to pack a wine key in your checked bags (they’ll confiscate a carry-on like TSA), and enjoy the wine in your stateroom or even walking the ship.

It’s an industry standard that they’re following, but DCL used to be much more liberal with their alcohol policy.

Thanks. I didn't interpret the policy correctly. I also expected cheaper cruise lines to limit alcohol on board in the same way I expect Six Flags to block coolers while Disney shouldn't, given entry prices. But if it's the standard, that's how things are moving here. I've accepted the parking fees at this point.

The $25 still seems pretty expensive though. Is that comparable to the other cruise lines? I honestly wouldn't want the hassle of bringing my own bottle to dinner, so I'd just pay whatever ugly cost it was for their booze at the table. In the room though it's good that you can have your own beer or wine should you choose to do so. They use the word "OR", so I assume that you can't bring one bottle of wine and a 6-pack. Is that correct?

hopemax

Good point. I'm primarily thinking of rooms and tickets but they could inconsistently raise prices on various food, merchandise, and experience options in a way that doesn't look like a blanket increase and would likely be missed by most of the public and general media.

Obviously, you'll notice if those chicken strips go up and we'll all complain and talk trash if the large bucket of popcorn goes up by $1-$3 but if it's not like a blanket 10%-50% price increase across all food on a menu, at a location, or resort-wide a lot of people probably won't. :facepalm:
Except everyone uses metrics now. The bloggers seem to scrape the data and get an exceptions report anytime a menu item or price is changed. Then they use that data to decide what restaurants to revisit and write their blog posts. The trend is towards a greater number of people knowing when WDW makes a price change within days or hours of the change. Not everyone knows that information is available, but it’s reached the point where that information *is* readily available to anyone who wants it. It’s actually been a bit horrifying how frequently my Feedly gets populated with “all the menu changes at X” type posts.

Roy G. Dis

The parks are doing fine and remain the golden goose that prints money for Disney. Globally the parks aren't even close to back to 100% and the parks are profitable. I am not worried that they'll do weird stuff like banning breakfast bars from backpacks.

This earnings call was all about Disney+ staying on target for their 2024 subscriber goal and it's looking shaky right now but there's still time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom