News Dismal Q3 Earnings

Stripes

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Big miss. I wonder how much the parks contributed to this.

@wdwmagic @The Mom move to another section if posted in the wrong area.

We've been through this before with Wall Street and their concern for ESPN's loss of subs... which turned out to be such a no big deal that when D+ was announced, Wall Street was all very happy for Disney forgetting all about ESPN and bumping up their stock.

Then a quarter... just one quarter, that things didn't grow as fast (there was no backsliding) as was "predicted," then Wall Street is dumping on Disney.

Mind you, these investors who just boosted Disney this Spring and are now dumping Disney this Fall are speculators trying to "beat the market" with crazy amounts of buying and selling in ever shorter intervals of microseconds. If all investors agreed with them, Disney's stock would drop to nothing.

In that same article bemoaning Disney's shortfalls, it says....
  • The company's Studio Entertainment segment reported revenues of $3.8 billion during the quarter, representing a 33% increase from the same period one year ago.
  • Disney's Media Networks unit reported revenue of $6.7 billion, which is a 21% rise from the same quarter one year earlier.
  • The company's Parks unit posted revenue of $6.6 billion during the quarter, marking a 7% rise from the third quarter of 2018.

It then goes on to mention the greater expenses and drag that streaming has had, which was as expected. Iger's been saying as much in the quarterly calls for a year. How this was unexpected by Wall Street is the great mystery here.

Hey, Wall Street speculators: Disney will have losses in streaming for year and be sinking the equivalent of some nations' GDP in capital improvement rather than buying back stock. So, sell off your Disney stock now and stop whining. In 2022 when there are record profits, you can come back and create a speculative bubble.

noodles

I think the Disney streaming service will be very expensive to initiate, so this report is not really surprising.
Also think that the endless price increases have diminished customer excitement a tad.
Interesting to read the bit about higher figures re resort nights booked. I expected more people to be staying off-site.
Not sure if I interpreted this correctly.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Original Poster
We've been through this before with Wall Street and their concern for ESPN's loss of subs... which turned out to be such a no big deal that when D+ was announced, Wall Street was all very happy for Disney forgetting all about ESPN and bumping up their stock.

Then a quarter... just one quarter, that things didn't grow as fast (there was no backsliding) as was "predicted," then Wall Street is dumping on Disney.

Mind you, these investors who just boosted Disney this Spring and are now dumping Disney this Fall are speculators trying to "beat the market" with crazy amounts of buying and selling in ever shorter intervals of microseconds. If all investors agreed with them, Disney's stock would drop to nothing.

• The company's Studio Entertainment segment reported revenues of $3.8 billion during the quarter, representing a 33% increase from the same period one year ago.
  • Disney's Media Networks unit reported revenue of $6.7 billion, which is a 21% rise from the same quarter one year earlier.
  • The company's Parks unit posted revenue of $6.6 billion during the quarter, marking a 7% rise from the third quarter of 2018.
It then goes on to mention the greater expenses and drag that streaming has had, which was as expected. Iger's been saying as much in the quarterly calls for a year. How this was unexpected by Wall Street is the great mystery here.

Hey, Wall Street speculators: Disney will have losses in streaming for year and be sinking the equivalent of some nations' GDP in capital improvement rather than buying back stock. So, sell off your Disney stock now and stop whining. In 2022 when there are record profits, you can come back and create a speculative bubble.
You have just illustrated why the concept of quarterly earnings suck and why there is so much volatility these days. The what have you done for me lately school of investment is terrible for mature development and long term returns on investment.

noodles

FWIW, I sold at $140, because I was miffed about parking fees increasing. I know, that's a ridiculous reason to sell.
Might dip a toe back in if we see continued market pressure... $125 sounds like a good point to me.

Quinnmac000

Higher revenue was expected due to the acquisition of Fox but I think they expected better integration that would maintain better results.

peter11435

Exactly. Everything in this report was hinted at by Iger previously and should have been expected by anyone paying attention. This is less the company missing expectations and more a failure of Wall Street and its analysts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom