Discuss: Epcot Underground Expansion Possible?

Should Epcot's Future World expand with an extra basement underground?

• Total voters

RedFurredCadet

Original Poster
I am only curious with regards to this approach to expanding Epcot. However, I have thought about this a lot, and would like you all to discuss whether it would be a great idea or a bust to expand by excavation into a basement level addition (a lot like the New York subway stations, or the former WTC shopping mall before destruction), and one example I select would be Future World, for the reasons of how much additional attraction space it could provide, and especially to the extinct attractions in Future World. Add to the expansion of shade and an internal opportunity to escape the Florida heat between pavilions and it could be a feasible idea. Having very little land left for Epcot to feasibly expand with regards to area may prove a problem would put an underground expansion on the list if possible.

The disadvantages I can come up with would be the need of additional systems to keep the underground safe and dry, as well as additional resources such as a water pumping system to reduce flooding and other problems. Also, the fact that a lot of the park has been paved over a depth of fragile-semisolid Florida topsoil, a haven for sinkholes (quelle surprise) and making excavation a very hard job to consider. To attempt such an excavation effort (especially between Future World pavilions) would mean having to tear up and rebuild the area. Again. And add to the fact there are the Utilidor tunnels, and the would be conflicting indeed.

So, the discussion is yours, do you think Epcot deserves to go underground a notch, or are you happy to stay above terra?

s8film40

Epcot already has an underground area. It would be interesting if they could repurpose that into an attraction/guest area.

s8film40

It is essentially nothing much more than a hallway. It is not like the Utilidoors.
Yes I have seen it. If I remember correctly there are a few other areas a break room some storage etc. While it obviously wouldn't be a huge area there are some creative things that could be done. For example a ride that could originate on one side of Future world and end on the other.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes I have seen it. If I remember correctly there are a few other areas a break room some storage etc. While it obviously wouldn't be a huge area there are some creative things that could be done. For example a ride that could originate on one side of Future world and end on the other.
Why shoehorne something into an area so restrictive when you have open land? If they were really hurting for space I could see it, but there is plenty there.

s8film40

Why shoehorne something into an area so restrictive when you have open land? If they were really hurting for space I could see it, but there is plenty there.
Well if people didn't realize they were underground and there was a ride that "magically" transported them to the other side of the park it could be an interesting use of an existing area. I agree the more practical option for any new expansion would be out and around what exists, but I think there could be some creative uses.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I think they should use the space available to them first, they have buildings that are being barely used. I would like to see something that transports guest to each side of the park, but then if they wanted to do that, they would of had to build Epcot like MK.

lazyboy97o

Ventureport, WestCOT's version of Future World, was going to be located mostly below grade beneath the massive Space Station Earth.

GenerationX

I'm all for this. A Great Underground Empire at Epcot. You could smoosh zorkmids, get an autograph from the Wizard of Frobozz, and buy spinning light up toys of dwarvish antiquity that glow blue. Just hope there aren't any power outages. The grues may be wearing Mickey ears, but they still have sharp fangs.

RedFurredCadet

Original Poster
I'm all for this. A Great Underground Empire at Epcot. You could smoosh zorkmids, get an autograph from the Wizard of Frobozz, and buy spinning light up toys of dwarvish antiquity that glow blue. Just hope there aren't any power outages. The grues may be wearing Mickey ears, but they still have sharp fangs.
I find this idea of yours rather interesting; a dedication to the science fiction eras, but I figured it would have been more at home in Tomorrowland, MK.

Power outages would definitely be a terrible idea.
Epcot already has an underground area. It would be interesting if they could repurpose that into an attraction/guest area.
Yes, the tunnels beneath Innoventions, facilitating the movement of exhibit components and other goods without guests bumping into them. I was imagining if it we're to expand to allow guests to travel between FW pavilions sheltered and shaded.

I think they should use the space available to them first, they have buildings that are being barely used. I would like to see something that transports guest to each side of the park, but then if they wanted to do that, they would of had to build Epcot like MK.
I can only imagine the sprawl necessary. I'm also for any extra space to be occupied as allowable, before any digs get green lighted in theory.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom