Discovery Island

Thebriarpatch

Original Poster
Haven't been to WDW in 10 yrs.... Is Discovey Island history?? Can't find anything on it anywhere.

What is there now if it is gone...

Thanks

WDWScottieBoy

First off, WELCOME! to the boards! Discovery Island is no longer there (physically the island is). It has been gone for several years now and is just sitting there as most everything Disney does after it closes. There is nothing there, just the island itself. You can take the boats on the lake and ride around it but you won't see much of anything but growth.

Thebriarpatch

Original Poster
Thanks for noticing I am new. And thanks for your quick response.

Too bad, It was a nice get away on a warm crowded park day!

I am trying to plan my trip itinerary in Sept so you have been very helpful!

WDWScottieBoy

You're very welcome. Feel free to ask me anything you need on here, through email, PM or IM. I leave tomorrow night so I won't be able to help after that until Wednesday but I have all day today and tomorrow morning.

As far as Discovery Island, I remember going there my first trip and I really liked it because it was in a sense an escape from an escape. (Meaning escaping reality in WDW and then escaping the crowds at the parks.)

krafty

Discovery Island was a very nice escape from the crowded parks. I believe most of the birds were moved to Animal Kingdom.

I think it would be neat if they turned the island into part of the campground, and you could camp out there overnight.

WDWScottieBoy

Laurie, it was either in Bay Lake or Seven Seas Lagoon. I always seem to mix those two up but I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.

burnsland

Discovery Island was in Bay Lake. And as was mentioned before, it was a great way to spend an afternoon. Perhaps it was the island setting, but it did feel like you were miles and miles away from everything!

OliveMcFly

Below is a link to my photo album with a pic of Discovery Island back in the day. It is located in Bay Lake directly behind the Contemporary Resort. I have never been there myself but am extremely fascinated with the island now. When we were on the dock at the camp grounds I noticed a shed type building on the island. Probably just storage...past and/or present.
Discovery Island

Lauriebar

Cool picture!! I had no idea anything was ever on that island. We have passed by it lots of times and it just looked like a wooded island. Very interesting!!

Mr Smee

Great pic of Discovery Island. It was a great place to visit. I still watch the reptile and bird show on tape from our honeymoon in 96.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom