Discovery Island Rumor

mrtoad

Originally posted by Stitch79
Yes there is still a pirate cruise that is run.

Clicky here

Its not as neat as the old one but still fun for the kids.

Amanda,

Thanks for posting. I will keep it in mind for when we go with my daughter, though I don't know if she will want to go with other kids she knows.

I also think it was way more fitting to be done at night. But that being said, I think it probably is too dangerous to have 3 times as many kids as adults going out to "sea" together in the dark.

Ms Brer Rabbit

I don't remember the pirate cruises (too bad, they sounded fun). But I do remember visiting Discovery Island my first time at WDW. The memory that sticks out the most was a very large ill tempered pelican who kept squawking and snapping at the poor cast member standing there! In fact, I believe I have some old Discovery Island photos somewhere around here. I might even have an old brocheure too. :D

mrtoad

Originally posted by Ms Brer Rabbit
I don't remember the pirate cruises (too bad, they sounded fun). But I do remember visiting Discovery Island my first time at WDW. The memory that sticks out the most was a very large ill tempered pelican who kept squawking and snapping at the poor cast member standing there! In fact, I believe I have some old Discovery Island photos somewhere around here. I might even have an old brocheure too. :D
If you have some photos, I would be interested in seeing some. If you do can you post some?

Marijil

i always thought it would be a cool restaurant location...there were limited counter service facilities there before...it would be great to put a huge, big time dining experience there...dont you think??

TURKEY

Originally posted by Marijil
i always thought it would be a cool restaurant location...there were limited counter service facilities there before...it would be great to put a huge, big time dining experience there...dont you think??

I think it would be cool, but I don't think it would work.

How many structures are on the island now?

In order to put in a restaurant, a new building would have to be built, plus a large storage area for all supplies. Shipping food and guests over would be a problem.

If wanting animals visable, I don't think it would be much more than birds that you would see????

tigsmom

Originally posted by ChrisTUK
I have some scans of an old discovery cove brochure, and would post them if only I knew how!

Any suggestions :veryconfu

You could start a photo album then post a link here to the page it is on. I've got pics from '92- my first and only trip to Discovery Island, but no scanner. :cry: Sorry.

tigsmom

The links worked fine. The only thing I really remember is that it was 100 degrees, 100% humidity and my DH had to carry our little one on his shoulders...called it the Disney Death march!
Thats what we now call our annual trips. :lol:

Ms Brer Rabbit

Originally posted by ChrisTUK
Heres some links to old Discovery Island brochure, back from 1994 I think?

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=4659&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=4660&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Hope the links work

I just dug out my old brocheure and it looks exactly like that one. Oh, and about scanning in my old Discovery Island pictures, I'll get on that as soon as my scanner decides to behave (darned thing!). :mad:

Poncho1973

Originally posted by s25843
Right Now the Island is Just sitting there with nothing on it.....

Last time I was out there (last summer?) there was certainly a ton of bird poo out there sitting on the island... that's for sure.

CPStaceyQ

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
None of the Islands on seven seas or bay lake will ever be touched...they are all wildlife preserves...I HAVE SPOKEN! SO LET IT BE WRITTEN!

No they're not...the preserve was closed, now it's just wild. There's a difference

diegorivera2

In the mid 90's there was also a rumor that Disney was going to team up with Broderbund (software manufacturer) and create a *live* version of Myst. That, too, was scrapped; I would guess the current wildlife preserve/nature reserve status of the island is more of a positive to the Reedy Creek Development group than anything else. Plus, Disney had to deal with the bad press surrounding the lawsuits handed to them by Orange and Osceola counties dealing with the way CMs were attempting to remove nesting birds on the island not placed there by Disney. (I believe early 90's for this one.)

mrtoad

Originally posted by CPStaceyQ
No they're not...the preserve was closed, now it's just wild. There's a difference

I have the book Since the Magic began and they mentioned that Disney was setting aside a good chunk of their property as a wildlife perserve and would not develop the property. It said that Discovery Island was one of the places that will not be touched. Just becuase it is now wild as you call it, does not mean the birds are not preserved anymore.

josh_e_washie

WOW!!! They Myst idea seems SOOOOO cool...I mean it could be a HUGE scavenger hunt with teams, etc and I'm sure the Imagineers could do so much with that island. That just seems like such a cool idea.!!!!!:)

DisneyJill

I would loooove to see something done with Discovery Island. It always looks so deserted when you go by it on a boat. It doesn't seem practical for a resort though. It would be a real pain in the to ship anything there...food, replacement linens and supplies, etc...

Originally posted by mrtoad
I have the book Since the Magic began and they mentioned that Disney was setting aside a good chunk of their property as a wildlife perserve and would not develop the property. It said that Discovery Island was one of the places that will not be touched. Just becuase it is now wild as you call it, does not mean the birds are not preserved anymore.

ONCE AGAIN! PROVEN CORRECT! THOU SHALL BOW BEFORE MY AWESOME POWER YOUNG ONE!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom