Discovery Island Rumor

General Grizz

Original Poster
A while back, I heard a rumor that Discovery Island/Camp Hakuna Matata (did that ever pass?) would be changed to accomodate honeymoon cottages.

Anyone hear this rumor? And if so, is it dead?

SirNim

I've certainly heard of this rumor too, about plans to build luxury-type cottages around the island. Haven't heard anything about it lately though, so I'm assuming it's dead; though, then again, what, really, do I know? :D

meeko_33785

I heard a rummor that they scrapped the Honeymoon cottages idea. They would have been to expensive for guests and not convenient in location. Let's be honest here, newlyweds usually arn't rich and can't afford something that expensive. After all, one of the most popular (if not the most popular) choices at WDW now is Port Orleans Riverside which isn't really expensive.

prberk

It was closed soon after Animal Kingdom opened. I guess seemed unnecessary.

But I wanted to go there. I wish I had done it. I never took the time....

wanabeimagineer

Originally posted by prberk
It was closed soon after Animal Kingdom opened. I guess seemed unnecessary.

But I wanted to go there. I wish I had done it. I never took the time....
I went there once. In my opinion it wasn't all that exciting. Granted I was probably about 10, but I don't remember there being much to see. I'm glad I did do it once before it was gone though. One thing I really remember is the incredible amount of bird poo everywhere. It reminded me of any local zoo but on a much smaller scale, it defenitely did not seem very Disney.

mrtoad

I read it is a state animal perserve now.

I always wanted to go because either on a brochure or on the the resort TV they showed huge Tortoises but my parents never took us. Though I am told that I did go but not to see animals. When we stayed at the Polynesian me and my sisters went on this thing at night once where you went on a pirate ship which was really a pontoon boat (very pirate like :lol: ) with cast memebers dressed as pirates. Then we went to an island and had a treasure hunt and I think stories and there was a bonfire. Anyway I have been told that was Discovery Island before it was Discovery Island, it was Treasure Island at the time.

All I know is I really doubt that today Disney would have a small group of cast memebers take a whole boat load of kids out at night on the water and run around an island and have a huge bonfire with no parents invovled.

Does anyone else remember this?

lifeguard1020

Pirate Cruise

Originally posted by mikebegley
I read it is a state animal perserve now.

I always wanted to go because either on a brochure or on the the resort TV they showed huge Tortoises but my parents never took us. Though I am told that I did go but not to see animals. When we stayed at the Polynesian me and my sisters went on this thing at night once where you went on a pirate ship which was really a pontoon boat (very pirate like :lol: ) with cast memebers dressed as pirates. Then we went to an island and had a treasure hunt and I think stories and there was a bonfire. Anyway I have been told that was Discovery Island before it was Discovery Island, it was Treasure Island at the time.

All I know is I really doubt that today Disney would have a small group of cast memebers take a whole boat load of kids out at night on the water and run around an island and have a huge bonfire with no parents invovled.

Does anyone else remember this?

Oh yeah...I did this "cruise" probably five or six times when I was younger. You all got on the boat and sailed off to "pirate" themed places...they told scary stories and what not...I even remember one time we were on teh boat near the island, and there were some strange sounds coming from the island. We were all told to keep our heads down, naturally we were all young and scared, so we did. Then someone jumped onto the roof of the boat and began banging on it!!!!!
Eventually we got to the island around the fire. We roasted marshmalows and drank pop. I remember it distinctively because this is where I learned to open my own can of pop...I always had to have someone else do it for me, but when we got onto the island I told the pirate that I didn't know how to open my can...well he took the time to teach me, Right There!!!
I remember having a great time on those cruises!!

Dan

Badger Brent

As long as Arcihidandisney has spoken, I guess it's the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!.. I've never visited the Island, but would love to see it sometime. Sometimes things you missed out on seem to have a little more meaning to us. I've been been by the island by boat, I still wish I could have seen it in person.

copper

I remember the Island very well. Many years ago when you purchased park tickets ( I think park hopper passes) you received a free pass to Discovery Island. This was Pre MGM and there were only 2 parks and only one water park, River Country, so you can imagine how long ago this was. We went to Discovery Island as an alternative to going to the parks, it was free and we went after our passes were used up. We, the kids, were so upset that we couldn't go to River Country that we sulked the whole time! I remember the bird ________ and the noisey birds. There were trails and nature talks every where. We thought it was too educational but when Epcot opened we thought the same. It didn't feel very Disney. I enjoyed the boat ride there because we kept looking for River Country. Now that I'm a paying adult with kids I can see why we didn't go to River Country and Discovery Island instead. Family of 6 at River Country was not in the budget and DI was free.

wsapooh

We were at WDW last week and we stayed at the Polynesian. One morning we saw a pontoon filled with kids in pirate garb leaving the marina. They must still be doing the pirate thing! They must have adjusted it and made it a daytime thing though.

We had a carriage ride at Ft Wilderness on this trip too and we took a boat from there to the Magic Kingdom. We passed Discovery Island and it seemed a bit overgrown but still crowded with birds - and poo.

josh_e_washie

What an excellent idea....i think it would be great for the honeymooners to get away to their 'own' place....instead of the customary Grand Floridian and Polynesian which happens to be loaded with kids. I wonder if this does go what kind of theme the resort will have....venetian??? Deserted Island? Any ideas?:) :)

mrtoad

Originally posted by wsapooh
We were at WDW last week and we stayed at the Polynesian. One morning we saw a pontoon filled with kids in pirate garb leaving the marina. They must still be doing the pirate thing! They must have adjusted it and made it a daytime thing though.

We had a carriage ride at Ft Wilderness on this trip too and we took a boat from there to the Magic Kingdom. We passed Discovery Island and it seemed a bit overgrown but still crowded with birds - and poo.

WOW, I am shocked they still do it. I would think with lawsuits and stuff they would be too afraid of kids falling out of the boat or something. Me and my sisters really enjoyed it. Little did we know it was just to give the parents a little time for luvin'.

wild01ride

Movie Theme!

Too bad Disney isn't the proprietor of Jurassic Park! I can see the themed attraction now. Just imagine.....

"An island once inhabitted by man was abandoned years ago. Since then, it's only inhabitants are the creatures left to fend for themselves that once relied on man for food.
Well, nature has found a way. Join us, if you dare, on a dangerous voyage, as we 'Return to Discovery Island' " **(dun!, dun!, dun!)**

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom