Discovery Cove Help Needed!

yensid67

Original Poster
We are looking to do Discovery Cove Dolphin Swim. I see that the price includes admission to Sea World and Aquatica for 14 days. Is that right? With the dolphin swim...do they video your experience for you? Do you have to set that up before hand? How much does it costs? Any suggestions on must do and don't worry abouts!

raven

The prices will seem very expensive but consider what you get with that: All day at Discovery Cove with only a limited amount of guests allowed per day (kind of like a private get away), all-you-can-eat buffet, all you can drink (beer INCLUDED), plus admission to Sea World, Aquatica and Busch Gardens for 7-14 days. You can also choose if you want to add on the dolphin encounter and photo package as well.

CAPTAIN HOOK

with only a limited amount of guests allowed per day (kind of like a private get away),
1) Bookings are usually recommended - well in advance during peak times
2) Limited number of guests - don't think its going to be you and just a few others - its going to be several hundred guests per day

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks Captain...we know about the crowds, just wanted to know if anything was a must do at the Cove or a 'don't bother' activity!

raven

1) Bookings are usually recommended - well in advance during peak times
2) Limited number of guests - don't think its going to be you and just a few others - its going to be several hundred guests per day
I went 5 years ago and there were only about 70 guests in the entire park.

CAPTAIN HOOK

I went 5 years ago and there were only about 70 guests in the entire park.
Lucky you !!! We've visited 3 times (during peak season) and usually find 70 guests in front of us to get in, at meal times, to get drinks (you get the picture ?) ;)

raven

Lucky you !!! We've visited 3 times (during peak season) and usually find 70 guests in front of us to get in, at meal times, to get drinks (you get the picture ?) ;)
EEK! No way I would visit during high tourist season. In fact, I stay away from ALL parks then....well, except LegoLand which not a lot of tourists visit.

yensid67

Original Poster
I am wondering...do you get passes for Sea World and Aquatica when you make reservations or do you have to go to Discovery Cove FIRST, then be eligible for those passes? We are PLANNING to go to Sea World first, then go to DC!

SteamboatJoe

Random question: if you don't add on the dolphin package, do you get any kind of dolphin experience? Is there anywhere you can go to just watch them?

Also, has anyone done DC without the dolphin swim and if so, what was your experience like? I just looked it up and it looks like it's around $200 without and $330 with... $200 isn't bad at all - it still includes the SeaWorld and Aquatica and all the other DC amenities.

I have only been once and did the dolphin swim. You can pretty much stand right on the beach and watch everyone do their dolphin experience in the water. There is also at least one viewing area accessible to all attendees that you can look out over the main dolphin lagoon and the back tanks where the dolphins who aren't working at the moment are held. It's accessible via a little path from the strip of land between the lagoon and Serenity Bay pretty close to the locker and wetsuit area. There are also a couple of peninsulas separating the three lagoons that are mostly covered with rocks but I do remember seeing people on at least one of them. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be there but they were. So yes, you can definitely see the dolphins even if you aren't partaking in the experience itself.

SteamboatJoe

Thanks Captain...we know about the crowds, just wanted to know if anything was a must do at the Cove or a 'don't bother' activity!

If you've got the money and the time, I would recommend doing it. It was a great break from being in the parks all day when the wife and I went on the honeymoon. I spent a good part of the afternoon either taking nap on the side of serenity bay or just floating in the lazy river.

Aside from the dolphin encounter, you can snorkel with fish and some pretty big rays for free. I nearly stepped on one that seemed like it was at least 6 feet wide. The lazy river actually runs through the aviary. It was really quite something to be floating down a "river" and seeing all of these tropical birds along the shore and flying overhead. I didn't pay the extra cash to do the sea floor walk but that seemed like it would've been a really neat and unique experience.

If you go, get there as early as possible to avoid the lines at check-in, especially if you want to do the dolphin swim to ensure you get a good time. It also gives you plenty of time to get your wetsuit on and claim a spot next to one of the lagoons.

LukaLand

Random question: if you don't add on the dolphin package, do you get any kind of dolphin experience? Is there anywhere you can go to just watch them?

Also, has anyone done DC without the dolphin swim and if so, what was your experience like? I just looked it up and it looks like it's around $200 without and $330 with... $200 isn't bad at all - it still includes the SeaWorld and Aquatica and all the other DC amenities.

We went and only I did the Dolphin swim. Having done many similar experiences prior, I didn't really think it was worth it. We are going back in 3 weeks and booked without the swim. There are many above water viewing opportunities for the Dolphins. The swim is fun, but very beief and if you've done anything similar elsewhere you've already done everything you will do here. If you've never been able to touch, feed, and interact with a Dolphin before- do it! You'll love it.

LukaLand

I've fed/touched them before at SeaWorld. I'd love to swim with them one day but it drops the price to Discovery Cove significantly if you don't get the dolphin package. $200 for a day in DC and 14 days at SeaWorld and Aquatica is a great deal.

If you've already touched and fed them, I would skip it. The only "swimming" you do is a 30 second dorsal pull. Enjoy DC for everything else it offers and go to a facility that focuses on their Swim With program another time. Theater of the Sea and Dolphins Plus both offer combo Swim With programs that do trained behaviors and also allow you free time to snorkel with their Dolphins.

SteamboatJoe

If you've already touched and fed them, I would skip it. The only "swimming" you do is a 30 second dorsal pull. Enjoy DC for everything else it offers and go to a facility that focuses on their Swim With program another time. Theater of the Sea and Dolphins Plus both offer combo Swim With programs that do trained behaviors and also allow you free time to snorkel with their Dolphins.

I would have to agree with this. The "swim" at Discovery Cove is more like a 25 - 50 yard ride. Worth it if you've never had any kind of up close dolphin encounter before but it sounds like you have.

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input! We are planning to do the Dolphin swim on our trip...can't wait only 900 days left!! Woo Hoo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom