discounts on merchandise in parks!?

disneyfan20ny

Original Poster
Just got back from the world and to my surprise we saw 40% off signs everywhere! Mainly mugs,towels,and t-shirts.They were also giving away large blankets with the castle on it if you spent $50.00 or more!!what's up??

WDW1974

Nothing is up.

The economy is crashing and Disney isn't selling the amount of crap they normally do, so they are discounting as much as they can while hoping to make up in volume what they can't in per item profit.

VT GAL

That's is pretty much it!

We have been able to find some great deals and we finished up our holiday shopping for less than we would have normally spent.

It has been great for us!

TheDisneyMagic

It is extremely rare the amount of discounts going around at the moment at WDW, all of the parks have alot of merchandise 40 and 50% off. Hats, Towels, T-Shirts and Mugs, I think it is just a little ploy to drive up sales, I guess it is working as I have been buying tones of items over the last couple of weeks.

MissM

The sales really are fantastic.

40% off ALL Tee shirts, mugs, hats and beach towels.

50% off ALL Christmas ornaments, tree skirts and stockings.

Epcot had a Mickey and Minnie throw for $15 with $40 purchase. Magic Kingdom had a Cinderella Castle Lights throw which I assume is the same deal though I had already done my shopping at Epcot. I also saw a tote bag for $10 with $20 purchase at Wilderness Lodge.

Stores were VERY busy as a result of the sale. I'm sure Disney's just trying to get some solid year-end figures right now because they never do these broad-sweeping sales on so many categories normally.

pacochran

I thought usually in the past they send the merchandise to the Character Outlets, but we noticed the same thing that there were clearance racks at Mouse Gear in Epcot. My wife took advantage of it.

RonAnnArbor

This is pretty standard across the USA right now -- take your lowest per-item cost merchandise and put it on sale to increase income...Those t-shirts and caps cost Disney about .19 cents each -- they sell them between 19.99 and 32.99 -- they sell them at 40 percent discount and they are still bringing in buckets of money ---

People at Disney Retail at the parks and resorts are going to spend the full amount if they want the item anyway (and often even if they don't want the item).

This marketing is directly focused on those buyers who wouldn't purchase as many items, making them feel like they are now getting this great bargain. Average buyer who might purchase one 19.99 t-shirt, now buys another one, and is actually spending MORE money than they would have in the first place, and Disney is still making 5 - 10 bucks more from that buyer than they would have if they purchased only one shirt.

This is simple merchandise marketing 101 -- and your going to see it an aweful lot for the next year or so.

Note that their bigger-ticket items (like polo shirts, sweatshirts, etc) are NOT on sale -- that is because the actual cost of those items to Disney is more around 4 -5 dollars per item, and marking them down wouldn't keep their 95% profit margin coming in....

-Ron, who just purchased a lot of stuff at Downtown Disney, but would have bought it anyway even without the sales...

Erin_Akey

All I can say is- I hope there is still a lot more left when we get there Wednesday. We took advantage of the $1000.00 gift card for $695.00 deal and each of our kids is getting Christmas spending money out of it. great to know we will get a lot more than the $305.00 savings! YIPPEE!!:sohappy:

WelshBatman

... while it's odd (in a way) for all these discounts (at the same time), not all of them are a bad sign of things. The throws for $15 on a purchase of $40 or more have been out for a while. In addition, there were several shipping problems during the summer and merchandise arrived weeks to months later than they should have and Disney is trying to get through a lot of merchandise while preparing for the new celebration and the 2009 items. They don't want to just send it to the Character Premiere shops for liquidation right away and so they're discounting it instead.

It's also working...

mickeysaver

Crocs and Jibbitz are also on sale now at 25% off property wide. T-shirts & hats, even the NFL, NASCAR, NBA, Baseball, and designer t's, like Hurley are sale at the 40% off. We have invested in about a dozen t-shirts this trip. :ROFLOL: Sales work!

sillyspook13

There are also a lot of other random items on clearance. This week my fiance and I bought a couple of Stitch pajama pillows at $16.99 (down from $32). My sister also says that she saw several plush marked down.

The cast member 50% holiday discount in the parks has been extended through February. We were able to finish our Christmas shopping and still buy ourselves some extra gifts for much less than we expected to spend, thanks to stacking discounts.

40-50% off + 50% 0ff = swimming through a sea of blue bags in my room.:lol:

phenom1307

There are also a lot of other random items on clearance. This week my fiance and I bought a couple of Stitch pajama pillows at $16.99 (down from $32). My sister also says that she saw several plush marked down.

The cast member 50% holiday discount in the parks has been extended through February. We were able to finish our Christmas shopping and still buy ourselves some extra gifts for much less than we expected to spend, thanks to stacking discounts.

40-50% off + 50% 0ff = swimming through a sea of blue bags in my room.:lol:

50%? I thought it was only 40%

sillyspook13

50%? I thought it was only 40%

Usually it is. This year they offered 50% off merchandise in the parks for the first two weeks or so, followed by 40%. The 50% discount was extended through last weekend, then extended again through the duration of the cast holiday celebration (blackout dates still apply).

The discount is still 40% at the resorts and Downtown Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom