Disco sucks is said on Jungle Cruise

PeterAlt

Original Poster
One day, a friend and I were at the Magic Kingdom during the closing hour and no one (literally no one) except us and the cast members were any where to be seen at Aventureland. So, with no lines and no wait times, we walked right into a boat at Jungle Cruise to get our very own unscripted tour of the attraction. It was the best Jungle Cruise I've ever been on because the cast member working our boat was just really, really awesome (not too mention she had an adorably cute energetic personality). Any way, when we got to the scene with Native Americans chanting, she told us to listen very carefully. They were chanting, "Disco sucks"! She explained that when they built the ride in the 70's, that was the time frame of the music wars between disco and rock. She also told us that the voice of the ghost host at the Haunted Mansion is the same person who does Tony the Tiger: "They'r great!"

RoyWalley

tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_500.jpg

Nitrokoff

My wife and I were treated to the "Disney After Dark" cruise once. It was us and another couple... well after testing the waters with a few jokes the skipper went full bore stand up. All JC related of course. The script was out the window and when we pulled up to the dock all 4 of us were crying. It was absolutely amazing.

Nick Wilde

Thurl Ravenscroft was the singer of "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch," his name appears on the organ in the interactive queue line of HM, AND, is the deep baritone voice in the song "Grim Grinning Ghosts," which is the HM "theme song."

Nick Wilde

5thGenTexan, if you read the whole article, it said Lee Marshall was the voice since 1999, taking over for Thurl when he retired.

ProfSavage

Actually, disco as a popular music genre didn't even really exist in 71 when MK was built (at least, not in the mainstream and as most people know it). Especially since MK was designed in the late 60s.

Disco was a mid to late 70s musical thing. Its origins in dance and Latin music was around from as early as 1959 in clubs in Miami and Chicago, but it was an underground musical thing until about 1974 when Barry White and "Rock the Boat" brought disco to the mainstream. Soul Train premiered in 1971, but the day after MK opened (October 2nd). So I doubt they meant the music, unless some WDI programmer was really, really, really into that music scene.

"I love disco" probably meant a short hand for "Disney Company. Probably.

a goofy username

sorry to revive an old thread but this is the coolest thing i've ever heard and i've been looking for a video where i can hear it but haven't found any

raven

Actually, disco as a popular music genre didn't even really exist in 71 when MK was built (at least, not in the mainstream and as most people know it). Especially since MK was designed in the late 60s.

Disco was a mid to late 70s musical thing. Its origins in dance and Latin music was around from as early as 1959 in clubs in Miami and Chicago, but it was an underground musical thing until about 1974 when Barry White and "Rock the Boat" brought disco to the mainstream. Soul Train premiered in 1971, but the day after MK opened (October 2nd). So I doubt they meant the music, unless some WDI programmer was really, really, really into that music scene.

"I love disco" probably meant a short hand for "Disney Company. Probably.
Perhaps it isn't refering to the style of music? A dance hall or club was also known as a "Disco" for many years prior.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom