Disappointing Price Increase & Takeaway - F&W

DisneyJoe

My mom was interested in going there with a friend, but after I told her the price for a studio at Boardwalk or Beach Club she said she could take an all inclusive cruise for $1000 less. She cruises often so I believe her. That's sad.

You're comparing a stay at a Disney deluxe resort (of what length?) vs a cruise of non-specified length and non-specified room type. Many cruises have staterooms the size of a Disney value resort room....

jakeman

I agree with almost everything you say, but I'd have to disagree that the quality is up. In the first 13 years, there were complex presentations with winemakers who let you pipette and mix raw wines from the barrel, they would bring in unreleased products, they would have as many as 6 wines to try, and they would contrast "reserve" vs. "regular" products or several years of the same wine. I remember experiments peeling grapes and tasting the peels vs. the pulp. I remember eating lemons, jelly beans, etc. before tasting wines to see how the taste buds were affected. Back then the retail prices of the wines served were up to $120.

The current wine tastings have become standardized with 3 wines, mostly cheaper ones, and they do nothing you wouldn't expect to do in your local wine shop......for free or for cheap. Disney used to be the place where you could do a wine tasting that was unique and special. Has anyone been to a paid event with any of the features I mentioned above?
The food and wine pairing tasting we did was a little more intricate, but I should be clearer...they are improved as to what they were right before they converted to the pay program.

The first 5-6 years of the festival, before they just started to grind them out with 1.5 hour waits, were as you described. I even remember the pipet one. Chateau Reynella. We still pick up bottles of that because of that presentation.

That makes me wonder if the wineries didn't see the benefit of such intricate tastings (although we loved them) or if it was a limitation placed on them by Disney (which I couldn't see why).

Sloan

Totally agree with scottnj1966

Just like scottnj1966, I'm a long-time passholder, and a long-time tables in wonderland member (from when it was DDE).

I've been to the Food & Wine Festival for like 8 years in a row now. I have friends who I would go to the Festival with in years past - all of them have given up on the Festival due to increased prices and falling quality. I keep going because I still enjoy it, however I've cut back on 'hard-ticket' events for the same reasons. I've also cut my 2-4 visits per year to 1-2.

I just made my reservations for this year's Festival (and will splurge one one big-ticket event when they go on sale on the 16th, where I've done several before), but had really intended to skip it entirely - I just had a last minute change-of-heart and could not bear to miss it. However, if things don't improve (either restoration of quality, or reduction in price) this could be my last EPCOT F&W Festival - and that makes me very sad. :(

boufa

You're comparing a stay at a Disney deluxe resort (of what length?) vs a cruise of non-specified length and non-specified room type. Many cruises have staterooms the size of a Disney value resort room....

I agree, apples to apples people.

When several people have asked me how I can afford such an expensive vacation I do the breakdown.... here ya go, real situation, real number.

Value resort 7 nights (7 park days) , 2 adults, 2 children. ALL expenses included, counter service food, tickets, lodging, parking, etc... except incidentals and souvenirs. Ready.... $257 per night total.

So lets look at the local option, Cedar Point. A fair comparison, but not equal by any standard. 3 nights, 2 days in the park. $205 per night total WITHOUT food. I think counter service food for 4, 2 meal each, plus 2 snack each per day, would be $50 a day at least.

So it looks like Disney is a similar expense to going to the local thrill park. Of course the Disney trip is 7 nights, and it is 2000 miles round trip vs 180 miles. Its certainly a greater investment, but it is a decent comparable value, in this circumstance at least.

fillerup

Original Poster
Update.

Got the email from WDW that APers will receive the same discount (Monday thru Thursday only) as TiW members for Wine & Culinary seminars.

No info on DVC but I can't imagine those people not being included.

I still don't think a 30% price increase is justified, but props to Disney for making the right decision.

poocher

The food and wine pairing tasting we did was a little more intricate, but I should be clearer...they are improved as to what they were right before they converted to the pay program.

The first 5-6 years of the festival, before they just started to grind them out with 1.5 hour waits, were as you described. I even remember the pipet one. Chateau Reynella. We still pick up bottles of that because of that presentation.

That makes me wonder if the wineries didn't see the benefit of such intricate tastings (although we loved them) or if it was a limitation placed on them by Disney (which I couldn't see why).

Hey, you are good! Remembering the winery. Because you buy the product. Just what everyone desires as a result. Everybody wins!

I can shed some light on your last question: I talked with some of the wine makers whom we had grown friendly with over the (good) years and they said that they used to donate the wines and brought whatever kind and however much they felt was optimal. But when Disney started charging, Disney started to buy the wines from the winery and hence called the shots (working with the winery, of course). But that put an end to the special bottlings just for F&W and most of special sessions and the >3 tastings. By the way, the non-celebrity chefs and wine makers pay a pretty penny to give away their wines. Don't know any of the celebs well enough to find out their deal.

And to those bemoaning the loss of the really great super-booths like Lousiana (the year after Katrina): that one cost the state over $.5 million not including staffing. Smaller ones are expensive, too. That's why the Pear Board and Cabot cheese and others have not been back. Hint: talk to the guys at the booths for a while. They get bored and will reveal fascinating details to someone who asking intelligent questions and catches them at a quiet moment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom