Disappointed with Disney Travel

westie

I wonder if anyone else is receiving this treatment from the mouse? We made our annual trip reservation and, oh what a deal they're giving this year. So, yesterday I receive a letter from disney travel stating that I have until next monday to pay the trip in full or nothing. I did have another 4 months to pay it off. So, I pay the remaining two thousand dollars and, I of course ask for a room upgrade or meal vouchers or anything for my inconvenience. Nothing! Thanks, and we'll see you in November!?!

So, anybody who loves to box with guest services, please add to my thread and give me some insight to your argument because, with six months to go, I can make a lot of call backs! And why doesn't Disney have an 800 number??

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
westie said:
Here is the letter verbatim, Hi Belle! & thanks for the clarification TiggsMom! Ahem,

Dear Westie,

The Walt disney Travel Company-Florida has been advised by delta Airlines that the special tour airfare that you reserved with your travel package to wealt Disney World Resort expires on May 21, 2005. You can protect this airfare by making full payment of the airline portion of your travel package on or before May 16, 2005.

If payment is not received by May 16, 2005 the airline reservation will have to be cancelled and rebooked on another Delta airfare or on another airline. This may result in a higher airfare and a change to your flight itinerary if the original flights are not available.

Please contact our reservation office at 407......

So, it was just the airfare portion but, thats a big chunk of change to fly out of ones pocket. Anyways, how do I get a room upgrade? :veryconfu

Did you pay a deposit on the air? Air is usually paid in full at the time of booking.
Getting a room upgrade comes only if Disney has open rooms at a higher level than what you're booked at. There are times when they will automatically give you one and there are times when they do not. If they don't give you one first, it never hurts to ask.

Pam

Upvote 0

TP2000

westie said:
Here is the letter verbatim, Hi Belle! & thanks for the clarification TiggsMom! Ahem,

Dear Westie,

The Walt disney Travel Company-Florida has been advised by delta Airlines that the special tour airfare that you reserved with your travel package to wealt Disney World Resort expires on May 21, 2005.

This isn't Disney's fault, and I don't think Disney should offer room upgrades or anything Disney-related to compensate for the financial inconvenience. Nothing has gone wrong at a Disney hotel so it doesn't make sense to ask the hotel to make up for the airline's problems.

I think the bigger problem you face is that Delta Air Lines is bleeding red ink and is heading towards banktrupcy very fast. I've been reading about it in the papers and in Business Week for some time now. If I were you I would consider booking a flight with a more stable airline.

But none of that is Disney's fault. Disney operates the theme parks and the hotels, not the airline.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Oh no! Delta is going under??! I was planning to use them this winter to fly to MCO! Should I hold off on booking with them?

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I don't think that they should offer a free upgrade for this situation either if that is what they are asking. I thought that they were just asking about an upgrade in general.

Pam

Upvote 0

Loretta

I booked room only

This past February I booked a room only for our weeks stay in October and imagine my surprise when our confirmation came and it showed they charged our Visa for the full amount. I called Disney and talked to one of their reps and she really had no answer for me. I let it stand because now we know our trip is all paid for, but never the less, it was a shock.

Loretta

Upvote 0

saucymb

Laura22 said:
Oh no! Delta is going under??! I was planning to use them this winter to fly to MCO! Should I hold off on booking with them?

At this point, I wouldn't count them out as far as making travel arrangements. From what I understand, they are in talks about filing bankruptcy but haven't actually done it. Many of the major airlines have filed bankruptcy in the past few years and have managed to pull out and be fine. US Air is a prime example. I think they have filed a couple of times in the past few years. Usually even if an airline files for bankruptcy, they continue with flights as scheduled. They may cancel a few flights, but I would not expect them to completely shut down all flights the moment they file (or even in the months after filing).

If you are concerned that they will file for bankruptcy and that it may affect your travel plans, I would encourage you to purchase travel insurance. Just keep in mind that you must have purchased the travel insurance BEFORE the airline files or else you won't be protected if something happens to your flight.

I was a travel agent for two years, but I'm sure Pam from Kingdom Konsultants would probably have additional advice about this sort of thing.

Pam- if this information is outdated (as it's been a year since I was an agent) please correct me.

Upvote 0

lscott933

i know disney has booked so many seats with airlines that they will hold for them at a price that they arranged in advance. that is what happens. most of the time they don't have to be paid until the package is due. but in today world of high fuel cost they need every penny they can get now. this is what they have told me. if i was to rebook the same flight at the same time in november i would have to pay double what i booked with delta thru disney travel.

Upvote 0

sring

saucymb,

I would tend to agree with your assessment. I'm more concerned about USAirways shutting down at this point, than Delta. Now another situation like USAirways had over christmas is more a possibility than shutting down.

I booked through WDTC air-inclusive for My trip next month, on AirTran. I was more surprised that I got paper tickets in the mail rather than e-tickets. I didn't even realize anyone used paper ticket stock anymore!

Hopefully a month after inception DME will have the kinks worked out of the system.

Steve

saucymb said:
At this point, I wouldn't count them out as far as making travel arrangements. From what I understand, they are in talks about filing bankruptcy but haven't actually done it. Many of the major airlines have filed bankruptcy in the past few years and have managed to pull out and be fine. US Air is a prime example. I think they have filed a couple of times in the past few years. Usually even if an airline files for bankruptcy, they continue with flights as scheduled. They may cancel a few flights, but I would not expect them to completely shut down all flights the moment they file (or even in the months after filing).

If you are concerned that they will file for bankruptcy and that it may affect your travel plans, I would encourage you to purchase travel insurance. Just keep in mind that you must have purchased the travel insurance BEFORE the airline files or else you won't be protected if something happens to your flight.

I was a travel agent for two years, but I'm sure Pam from Kingdom Konsultants would probably have additional advice about this sort of thing.

Pam- if this information is outdated (as it's been a year since I was an agent) please correct me.

Upvote 0

epcotfan

I'm not sure why you think Disney owes you something, but I would ditch the Delta flight if possible if there is a strong chance of them going bankrupt. I would go with another airline even if it cost more or changed flight times. My family was stranded in Orlando after Canada 3000 went bankrupt. It ruined the last few days of their trip.

Upvote 0

EllaMinnowPea

My FIL works for Delta and has for more than 30 years so discussions of Delta's financial future are frequent here. From what I understand they are contemplating bankrupcy in terms of debt reorganization and protection rather than a "shutting down operations completely" type of thing. If that is the case, they may shut down certain low volume routes but with Orlando being one of the top vacation destinations in the world, flights to MCO probably aren't at the top of that list. If we had a flight scheduled already at a great rate, I wouldn't be cancelling now. I would just sit tight and wait to see what happens. If I were booking something and saw a great fare on Delta, first I would see if any other airlines are matching it (more often that not it is Delta matching THEIR fares than Delta being the fare sale leader). If I could get it somewhere else, I would probably do that but if Delta was my only option, I would still book it.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
saucymb said:

This is true. That is one of the reasons why you should indeed get the travel insurance because it covers airline mishaps whether it be from inclement weather or bankruptcies. If you are not paid in full with your pkg you can still add it with Disney. Once you are paid in full you are out of luck.

FYI** If you cancel your trip for any reason, the money you paid for the insurance is not refunded.

Pam

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom