Disappointed with Disney tonight

MCP75inFL

Original Poster
I took my two daughters to the Halloween Party, my oldest is 8 months out (and for the most part recovered) from 4 fractures of her back. We were having a great time enjoying the party, getting candy, watching the parade etc... we rode a few mild rides and it was about 1130 so we decided it was time to go home. My oldest 17 the one with the previous back injury wanted to do another loop of the candy trail and my youngest wanted to pick out something from the nearby store. So my oldest is in line for candy and was pushed down by another guest, she hit her back on the ground and at first was okay but as she started to walk back to me the swelling set in quickly (part of her previous injury when the area swells she loses function of her left leg) so her left leg started to drag and she was in quite a bit of pain. We did not need nor want EMS so I asked nearby CM she looked like a manager as she was in plain clothes with a name tag and ear piece in if we could get wheelchair. She got us a wheel chair and took us to first aid for ice and some pain meds, that was great. The problem was from the front gate I was on my own with one daughter only 10 and the other in a wheel chair unable to walk and I was parked at the back of the lot in Hook 88 at the end farthest from the tram loading area. I was fine getting from the gate to the tram to the parking lot but when I got that far I realized there was no way for me to get her out to the car. I asked another manager that was out there what my options where knowing full well at US/IOA that something like this happening and they will drive you all the way to your car(only know this as my husband works PT there as a paramedic). I was told my only option was leave my kid sitting alone while I took the tram out drove all the way out of the parking lot and back in so I could pick her up by the bus loop something she was not okay with being left unable to defend herself in a wheelchair at now 1230a or push her all the way to the car because I couldn't take the wheelchair on the tram!

I was about to start walking when two bus drivers where walking by us and heard me say we were going to start walking, they were shocked and wanted to help, they tried to get security to help us they refused, so they then went and talked to the tram personal who agree'd there was no way they were going to let me push my kid all the way out with my 10 yr old following. The tram people then helped me get her on the tram and load the wheel chair up.. then helped us back off. Had those tram personal not helped us it would of been a VERY LONG walk with my daughter sitting there in tears between the embarrassment (she's a 17 yr old this sucked for her big time) pain and just plain being upset about being pushed down.

Yes my daughter had a previous injury that was aggravated in the park due to another guests actions which is not Disney's fault but I felt is was very crappy that there was no other option of getting help to our car. I'm sure my child is not the first injured in the park who didn't need EMS but needed help out of the park. To clarify so no one is confused here I didn't want Disney to give us anything free that was not what we were seeking I just wanted help and it was pretty crappy that low level personal had to take it upon themselves to think of a way to help because they didn't like the way we were being treated!

I know for a fact that RC EMS should've have taken you to your car, I've seen it happen a few times before. I don't see why a manager wouldn't arrange that for you. That situation was handled terribly by both the managers and security (who should definitely know the procedures also). You should let Disney know, not even to get something out of them (which they'll probably do anyways), but to inform them of these problems and make sure that everyone is aware of what they should do in that situation.

rkelly42

Very sorry to hear what happened and hope everything is ok. I guess my only questions is, is that with previous history of back injuries, why did you not just have the ems help you, that's what they are there for. Not saying that you made the wrong choice, just curious more than anything, maybe they could have helped and lessened the burden on you with getting your daughter to the car.

Disney Shib

I'm shocked that you weren't driven to your vehicle. My grandfather took a basty spill a few years back in the parking which was totally his fault and security drove him to the car. My mom went with him but we took the tram back. I hope your daughter is feeling better now.

HollyAD

I agree with the above post...Just write them. I have done it before regarding something not as serious and they called me. They certainly should have found someone to drive you to their car. Sounds like the CMs that actually ended up helping you improvised and took it upon themselves to fix a problem. However, something needs to be done to make sure that never happens to anyone else.

DVC4bestvacations

It seems to me that years ago when I first started going to WDW in this situation the CM's would have asked if you needed help getting to you car. You wouldn't have been left to fend for yourself.

awoogala

I wonder is it liability? We had a situation where a child was injured at a roller skating rink, and we were told they could not help us at all. Unless the ems was involved. I didn't want to call them, just needed help to get her to the car, but for liability's sake, They would not touch her or help. EMS would have to be called so the paper trail said a medical person was the one to assess and help.

wdweric2.0

I wonder is it liability? We had a situation where a child was injured at a roller skating rink, and we were told they could not help us at all. Unless the ems was involved. I didn't want to call them, just needed help to get her to the car, but for liability's sake, They would not touch her or help. EMS would have to be called so the paper trail said a medical person was the one to assess and help.

Exactly. Who would be at fault if something worse happened during the drive to your car? The best option would have been to seek EMS attention.

Jimmy Thick

I can't believe Disney actually offered to let someone drive up to the bus pick up just to pick up someone. I don't think its been realized just how generous and above and beyond such an offer really is considering a small vehicle would most definitely usurp the ebb and flow of the standard routine up there and impact the thousands of people using the transit system. Just for one person.

And of course, its not good enough. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Thick- Will people who suffer through a fart in queue complain there is not enough air filtration?

wdwmomof3

I'm sorry that happened to your daughter. I'm surprised that you had to talk to more than one person to help you though because I'm sure this kind of things happens often. I would think they had a plan in place for this kind of thing. I'm glad that they got you the help that you needed in the end. Hope your daughter is better soon!!

rnese

I understand your situation and sympathize with you. This may not be what you want to hear but I think these people ended up doing much more for you and your family than most would have done. There were tens of thousands of people in the park that night. Everyone of them has/had their own story. Please be realistic and take into consideration all that the CM's actually did do to help. Again, let me be clear...I truly sympathize with you and your daughters. However, I think the title of the thread should read "Thankful for Disney CM's Tonight" instead.

Sans Souci

Sadly, I am inclined to agree with you. This is seems to be SoP for these types of things everywhere. I used to work in Hospice, so I had to travel to nursing homes quite a bit. If someone fell down, the nurses and CNAs would just leave the person on the floor until EMS came to pick them up. It was such an undignified way to treat another human being.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom