Disappointed in Riverside.

We have stayed at Riverside before and when not renting DVC points this time decided to go back to Riverside. My daughter broke her foot right before coming down and we have been so happy with how the parks have gone out of their way to make sure this didn't ruin our vacation. The resort not so much.
I had requested when we booked a first floor, close as possible to the main house and a corner room. I calle a week out to make sure that request was noted. When she first hurt her foot I called to said we REALLY need first floor and close because it hurt to walk. The day before I called again to tell them we went to the doctor the night before and she had broken her foot. The lady said she would make sure the room assigner knew. She was not supposed to put any weight on it at all so really, really need close.
We arrive at noon and the front desk was a bit snotty and rolling her eyes at my request. We are in room 2828 and don't think we could be farther from a bus stop. I said we would wait if another one still needed to be cleaned. She said there would be nothing closer. Again, it was the whole attitude I didn't feel she was trying.
The resorts have some complimentary chairs but they were out, I know I can't complain because they are first come first serve but a friend who works at another resort thought that was odd and thank God he helped us out. Again, not their fault.
Finally get to our middle of nowhere room. Internet isn't working very well so daughter can't do her homework. Not their fault but our cell phones have no reception either. Even the TV signal goes in and out. Maybe because of being in the middle of nowhere?
Our housekeeping is getting tipped but nothing special happening. I'm not just complaining because of no towel animals but I mean leaving dirty towels in the room. Extra blanket thrown on bed not even folded. Even when bell hop dropped us off at the room he said 'I don't think they are done with this room, usually there are animals and such.' I would have been happy with a clean room. There was a dirty wash rag that was there when we arrived and stayed for 3 days. Yes, we called and complained again.
The thermostat said 73 but I was sweating. We would work all night I get it comfortable and by morning it would be hot again. I cant sleep when i'm hot. Called twice.
Finally after 9 nights they offered to change rooms but we leave in 2 days and not going through the hassle of packing and unpacking.
My husband finally blew up and all they said is we are only a moderate resort. I still paid good money to stay at the moderate and felt I would have been better going to a value.
Once again, I know several of those things are not their fault but just added to the frustration.
Vent over. ;)

real mad hatter

Sorry to hear about your vacation.We have stayed at PORS in 2008 and in 2010 and also this year.Every trip has been magical,even tho this year we were quite a distance from the food court,we loved the walk from our room tho the grounds.All in All its our favourite resort.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

You're not the only one. I had an awful time my last stay at POR. It was the hotel from h-e double hockey sticks. But after talking to the front desk they offered (without me asking) a generous resort credit and I drank my sorrows away around the world in EPCOT. I'd have your DH go talk to the desk.

That being said, I've also had a great stay at POR so I would give it another go. Things tend to fall through the cracks during busy season I've noticed, but this is the same with anywhere when it gets busy.

Upvote 0

MidwestGirl

Original Poster
Maybe part of it is we had such a great experience years ago our expectations were too high. Also having such great service with her chair in the parks that it hard to live up. Just irritated when told 'we are only a moderate.' still paid a lot of $ and expect things like the air to work.

Pretty sure we are going back to renting DVC points to stay DVC.

Upvote 0

PUSH

I've stayed at POR 4 or 5 times and will stay there again. Every time we've never had any problems with it. Except we once requested a Mansion room and got a Bayou, but they found a new room for us in the Mansion, and it was on the first floor and a corner. We're going to request the exact same room next trip because it was so convenient to just step out of your room and your car's right there. I'm getting off topic and not helping here though. Also, I've had a moment or two with bad internet, but never any with the TV.

Sorry about the troubles, maybe it was just one bad experience and they really couldn't do anything about it. Don't let it discourage you from going there again though. It's my favorite resort. :)

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I wasn't too impressed by the Riverside either. Probably won't stay there again, but our room was clean. Did you ever speak with a resort manager? If so did they appologize or offer anything besides moving you towards the end of your stay?

Upvote 0

Fantasmic

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We stayed in POR in 2009 and 2011 and they were fantastic, we actually stayed in 2829 last time, we never had any problems in that building, I loved the location! It was a walk from the main bus stop, but fairly close to the other one on the loop, but too far to walk if your foot is broken!
They should have been more accommodating to your situation

Upvote 0

MidwestGirl

Original Poster
The only thing they said was sorry, this is only moderate so no one is close to the bus stop. Bull crap. We walk by a lot of places in our category on the way to the bus stop. We wouldn't complain about the walk if it wasn't for her.
Internet we called a couple times. Air we called several times to see if we were Doug something wrong.
When husband kinda blew up they said they didn't know why we had been placed where we were. I had even offered to wait for a room to be cleaned since we were checking in at noon. The whole check-in lady's attitude was irritating, like she didn't believe me because my daughter got up and walked to me. She isn't supposed to walk and when she does it hurts. Hard keeping an active teen from walking, even on dr. Orders. ;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom