Disappointed by merchandise in parks...

jacalynsue

Original Poster
Am I the only one who is noticing a real decline in the merchandise offered in the parks? It seems to me that all of the shops are the same. You can get princess gowns for kids, t-shirts, autograph books, and stuffed animals. But where is the neat stuff that cries out "buy me!" when you stumble on it? I saved up money to spend on loot in the parks this trip, and have yet to part with any of it. It seems like all of the stores have the same thing... the depth of merchandise and variety of offerings in each shop are shallow. It really saddens me. Here I am, money in hand, willing to spend... and I can't find anything I want! Is it just me? If so, where are the neat shops hidden?
Jacalyn

barnum42

You are not alone, it's a common topic on here. The unique individual shops have given way to generic princess outfits, pooh merchandise and kitchen accessories.

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
if you don't like what you find in the parks, just go to Downtown Disney. no wait, it's all the same stuff too. ok, go to the outlet stores. nope, same stuff there as well. hmmm....

you're right, it is disappointing. we stumble upon an item that jumps out at us about once a month.

Number_6

Art of Disney usally has some nice things. I've gotten an Ariel Seri-Cel as well as a couple of other Little Mermaid related items there. And at least for the most part, its different than whats in the rest of the shops.

PBarton

Does anybody here remember the shop at MGM that used to sell 60's music memrobillia?

I bought a great Beatles t-shirt there and a replica Elvis drivers liscence for a friend (tacky and non Disney, I know).

I think it was in the shop that sells Indina Jones merchandise, next to the shop that sells personalised Mouse Ears etc.

I agree about the general quality of the merchandise. I too have taken large amounts of money with me with the intention of buying Disney stuff.

I either return with most of the money unspent.... or blow it all on region 1 DVD's!!! :D

prberk

I agree completely with this topic. You should write your exact comments to WDW management, especially the part saying that you had money to spend and did not spend it!! That should really grab their attention.

I wrote a similar sentiment last year, but I mostly focused on how disappointed I was that much of the merchandise now said both "Disneyland" and "Walt Disney World" on the same package. Saved packaging costs, but lost uniqueness and lost my incentive to buy it....

Paul

DanStat

I like the merchandise at WDW. I've never come out dissapointed. My friend got back and brought me a Sorcerer Mickey bobble head clock. It's sitting on my desk. I had never seen one, and it's quite unique. I think if you look hard enough, you'll find something you like. The HCOE merchandise is very nice - they have some very neat "retro" reproductions.

CAPTAIN HOOK

barnum42 said:
...............and kitchen accessories.
And whats wrong with that :lol: ? Our kitchen has numerous ceramic Disney Cookie Jars, Salt & Pepper Pots, Tea Pots etc etc. Just can't get enough !!
On the other hand, I too have found that a lot of the WDW shops are carbon copies of the UK Disney shops - full of Disney Princess dresses, socks, T-shirts etc. I go to WDW looking for a little more shopping imagination - please.

lebeau

Couldn't agree more. We spent the first few days of our vacation holding on to our Disney Dollars waiting to find the perfect souvenier. Eventually, we stopped evevn going into shops becuase they all had the same merchandise at the same prices. What's the point of that?

jacalynsue

Original Poster
sent the letter... care to join me?

I did indeed send a letter to Disney about the merchandising and general decline in "good show" I've observed at the parks. D-Troops has a fantastic article up today called "The True Magic Kingdom" which focuses on how Mainstreet has been turned into dare I say, a :"Disney Wal-Mart."
Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us write, they'll change their approach.... esp. now that Michael is on his way out.
At least I know I'm not alone!

General Grizz

jacalynsue said:
I did indeed send a letter to Disney about the merchandising and general decline in "good show" I've observed at the parks. D-Troops has a fantastic article up today called "The True Magic Kingdom" which focuses on how Mainstreet has been turned into dare I say, a :"Disney Wal-Mart."
Maybe, just maybe, if enough of us write, they'll change their approach.... esp. now that Michael is on his way out.
Yep, we also compare it to what's at Disneyland. Big difference. In the long run, I truly believe the West Coast strategy works best!

surfsupdon

jacalynsue said:

And in the process of being turned into a Wal Mart, they got rid of the unique nooks and crannies, like the Main Street Flower Mkt. I was so upset to see that removed. It was classic Disney and special. Now they remove areas to have more of the same merchandise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom