Disability at Disney

Figment!

Original Poster
Hello
I have been going to the Disney parks every year since I was 2 years old. While I love the parks, I have always had issues with the crowds and people getting too close to me. I recently had an incident where another guest sat on me while we were waiting in line. I immediately moved away and had a panic attack on the ground. My therapist recommended DAS, but I really want to work for Disney in the future and I'm worried they won't hire me if they see that I have used DAS (If I ever actually get a job there I would probably have to have some sort of accommodation). But my question is does using DAS effect potential employment at the Disney parks?

AndyS2992

DAS would be recommended in this instance, I’d also recommend pairing it with Genie+ for even less time in line. No it will not go against you when looking for employment however, if Disney knows people getting close and crowds cause you such stress and anxiety, your chances of getting a job are pretty slim, guest facing roles anyway. Backstage roles might be fine. Best of luck anyway.

lazyboy97o

Not hiring someone due to a disability and/or the use of accommodations is illegal. They’re not cross checking applications to see if the name matches someone who has used DAS. Use of an accommodation as a guest or employee is not a negative and cannot be treated as such.

That said, there are scenarios where employers are allowed to not hire if an applicant is unable to safely perform the tasks associated with a job. There are hundreds of different roles at Walt Disney World so how much the job requires dealing crowds will depend on the job. The Cast Members you see when in the park are obviously dealing with a lot of crowds but there are other roles you don’t see that deal with less crowds that may be better suited to you.

JIMINYCR

Disney hires many disabled people and places them in roles they are able to handle. They wouldn’t keep you from being hired unless there was reasons they would see that would apply to anyone else they would not hire. You need to decide if Disney is a place that you would be comfortable working for. As in any interview process you need to show your desire to work, a good personality and have the ability to perform a task they need doing. There are many people who go through the process and don’t get hired because they aren’t what Disney’s looking for. Having a disability isn’t something that will exclude you from employment.

thomas998

Hello
I have been going to the Disney parks every year since I was 2 years old. While I love the parks, I have always had issues with the crowds and people getting too close to me. I recently had an incident where another guest sat on me while we were waiting in line. I immediately moved away and had a panic attack on the ground. My therapist recommended DAS, but I really want to work for Disney in the future and I'm worried they won't hire me if they see that I have used DAS (If I ever actually get a job there I would probably have to have some sort of accommodation). But my question is does using DAS effect potential employment at the Disney parks?
Using DAS isn't going to haunt you later... but honestly think about where you are wanting to work and the problem you have? If I was afraid of flying I wouldn't try to become a flight attendant, if I had a fear of water I wouldn't want to work on a fishing boat... do you really think your problem with crowds makes you a good fit for a theme park?

Figment!

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. I think what I really forgot to mention is that it has always been my goal to work at Disney. I am hoping to start out in a smaller role and then potentially work up to a bigger one. So yes I know and have put a lot of thought into if I want to work here, that’s why I made the original post. When it comes to crowds it really not horrible for me because people are moving and there is possibility for me to move myself into other areas. The main issues I have with lines is when people are in my space and I have no where to go without getting out of the line. That’s when I have the most issues, which is why DAS would probably help me by allowing me to wait in line without waiting in an actual line.

JIMINYCR

Using DAS isn't going to haunt you later... but honestly think about where you are wanting to work and the problem you have? If I was afraid of flying I wouldn't try to become a flight attendant, if I had a fear of water I wouldn't want to work on a fishing boat... do you really think your problem with crowds makes you a good fit for a theme park?
Disney has many other spots to employ people other than in the parks. There very well could be a place that suits the OP and doesnt manage to aggravate the type of condition he/she has.

lazyboy97o

Thank you all for your replies. I think what I really forgot to mention is that it has always been my goal to work at Disney. I am hoping to start out in a smaller role and then potentially work up to a bigger one. So yes I know and have put a lot of thought into if I want to work here, that’s why I made the original post. When it comes to crowds it really not horrible for me because people are moving and there is possibility for me to move myself into other areas. The main issues I have with lines is when people are in my space and I have no where to go without getting out of the line. That’s when I have the most issues, which is why DAS would probably help me by allowing me to wait in line without waiting in an actual line.
Disney oversells the idea of people starting in the parks and becoming executives. It happens to some but it is very, very, very few.

There are a variety of guest facing roles where you will be crowded and not able to leave. It’s something to be aware of. It’s okay if that sort of job is not right for you. There are other entry level roles at Disney and Walt Disney World in particular and there’s nothing lesser about doing a back of house job. Really though you should focus on what you want to do as a career outside of the Disney equation and if the opportunity presents itself then you can take it. Don’t be tied to a brand and don’t set your career path around a story that brand tells. It’s even possible to work with Disney without working for Disney as the hire lots of companies to do work for them.

Disstevefan1

Not hiring someone due to a disability and/or the use of accommodations is illegal. They’re not cross checking applications to see if the name matches someone who has used DAS. Use of an accommodation as a guest or employee is not a negative and cannot be treated as such.
Also they NEED good people. Go ahead and apply! If you don’t, you will never know.

thomas998

Disney has many other spots to employ people other than in the parks. There very well could be a place that suits the OP and doesnt manage to aggravate the type of condition he/she has.
They do. But if you read what the OP wrote she/he appears to want to work in the parks and even admits that if hired they would need some accommodation... I don't think the OP is thinking about working in a back office position. Sounds more like they really want to work in the park.

thomas998

That said, there are scenarios where employers are allowed to not hire if an applicant is unable to safely perform the tasks associated with a job. There are hundreds of different roles at Walt Disney World so how much the job requires dealing crowds will depend on the job. The Cast Members you see when in the park are obviously dealing with a lot of crowds but there are other roles you don’t see that deal with less crowds that may be better suited to you.
Actually it isn't simply a matter of whether the person with a disability is unable to safely perform the tasks, it is based on the type fo accommodation that would be required. If they can perform the job given reasonable accommodations by the employer then it isn't a problem... if the accommodations to allow the person to do the job are unreasonable then they don't need to hire the person even if they are otherwise qualified. The problem is how one defines what a reasonable accommodation is, and that often varies from court to court and also is impacted by the size of the employers where courts don't expect a mom and pop business to go as far as they would a large mutli-billion dollar company.

Figment!

Original Poster
Honestly guys thanks for the input but overall I think that this conversation has veered off topic. I just wanted to know about DAS, not weather or not you think I should or should not work in the parks. I value your feedback but I am determined to work for the Disney company not specifically in the parks and just wondered if for some crazy reason using DAS would hinder my efforts to become an employee. And in general accommodations are on a case by case basis with the employee and supervisor. Thanks

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney oversells the idea of people starting in the parks and becoming executives. It happens to some but it is very, very, very few.
This. This this this.
It's easier to get into Harvard than it is to make it into leadership at Disney.

mkt

Premium Member
I guess with like 80K cast in Orlando that's more people than some towns I've visited.
I've known people with impeccable pre-Disney credentials and a perfect record and reputation at Disney who can't even get a first-round interview for a professional role.

If you want to laugh/cry, I know an attorney who wanted to work at Disney in legal so badly, that he took a part time role in the parks to be "in the system". This person is a licensed attorney with relevant experience and a degree from a top tier law school. He couldn't get a first round interview and just gave up.

Lilofan

I've known people with impeccable pre-Disney credentials and a perfect record and reputation at Disney who can't even get a first-round interview for a professional role.

If you want to laugh/cry, I know an attorney who wanted to work at Disney in legal so badly, that he took a part time role in the parks to be "in the system". This person is a licensed attorney with relevant experience and a degree from a top tier law school. He couldn't get a first round interview and just gave up.
Disney pay more than a private law firm? Not a lawyer but a nurse I knew quit her high paying RN role in another state , moved to FL with cheaper COL and also agreed to a lower pay as an RN at the Health Services dept for WDW.

mkt

Premium Member
Disney pay more than a private law firm? Not a lawyer but a nurse I knew quit her high paying RN role in another state , moved to FL with cheaper COL and also agreed to a lower pay as an RN at the Health Services dept for WDW.
That part I'm not sure about, some people just want to work for Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom