Disability Access Service (DAS) Card

JTT

Original Poster
I've been to Disney many times but want to try Universal.

Does Universal have something similar to the Disney Disability Access Service (DAS) Card?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Sounds like the one at Sea World. I haven't noticed them being rampantly abused like WDW.
I'm not sure it was ever "rampantly abused" at WDW either. The old system got some bad press because of abuse at DLR and a lot of anecdotal evidence and Disney got rid of it at all domestic parks in a knee-jerk reaction.

Lucky

I'm not sure it was ever "rampantly abused" at WDW either. The old system got some bad press because of abuse at DLR and a lot of anecdotal evidence and Disney got rid of it at all domestic parks in a knee-jerk reaction.
Exactly right.

I've been to Disney many times but want to try Universal.

Does Universal have something similar to the Disney Disability Access Service (DAS) Card?
Universal's is similar to the current DAS and was there already before the switch from GAC to DAS.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

It was. You can ask any attractions CM from WDW at the time. The old GAC accounted for as high as 1/4th of all riders on major attractions.

It's still rampantly used, but not as much as an issue as it no longer grants unlimited access of the Fastpass queue.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It was. You can ask any attractions CM from WDW at the time. The old GAC accounted for as high as 1/4th of all riders on major attractions.

It's still rampantly used, but not as much as an issue as it no longer grants unlimited access of the Fastpass queue.
I don't think you're understanding the concept of the word "anecdotal"... LOL! ;)

Tom Morrow

I don't think you're understanding the concept of the word "anecdotal"... LOL! ;)
Oh, I guess first hand accounts from actual cast members who literally participated in tracking GAC useage are no match for some guy with 30,000 posts on a fansite

Several popular attractions at WDW were chosen to track GAC usage for a period of time before DAS replaced GAC. For example, Expedition Everest. They accounted for 1/5th to as high as 1/4th of all people riding those attractions. It was absolutely unquestionably rampantly used and abused at both DLR and WDW.

Sorry there isn't an official statement from Disney I can link to that says "oh whoops golly gee, we allowed people to simply tell a lie to a Guest Relations CM and receive what acts as an unlimited Fastpass for so long that word spread and it became a major issue that impacted our crowd control methods and threatened our implementation of Fastpass+ so we finally had to step in and take action to correct it."

Last edited:

StevieRay

Oh, I guess first hand accounts from actual cast members who literally participated in tracking GAC useage are no match for some guy with 30,000 posts on a fansite

Several popular attractions at WDW were chosen to track GAC usage for a period of time before DAS replaced GAC. For example, Expedition Everest. They accounted for 1/5th to as high as 1/4th of all people riding those attractions. It was absolutely unquestionably rampantly used and abused at both DLR and WDW.

Sorry there isn't an official statement from Disney I can link to that says "oh whoops golly gee, we allowed people to simply tell a lie to a Guest Relations CM and receive what acts as an unlimited Fastpass for so long that word spread and it became a major issue that impacted our crowd control methods and threatened our implementation of Fastpass+ so we finally had to step in and take action to correct it."
Very well said!!!

rob0519

Disney pretty much copied the model that was in use at Universal. Go to the front of the attraction and get a return time of the current wait time minus ten minutes. You can only have one wait time on your card at a time. Disney and Universal needed a better way of policing their original systems rather than the overhaul of the programs that occurred.

Stripes

Hello. I know this isn't the perfect thread to pose this question, but I was hoping to get some advice/questions answered.

We are planning to bring my mom (75 years old) to DL this November. She has hip issues which prevent her from standing for long durations at a time, though she is perfectly capable of walking, as the day drags longer her hips give her considerable pain. We're fairly confident that breaks in between riding attractions would mean that she wouldn't need a wheelchair/ECV. Her bladder isn't the greatest either. Would she qualify for DAS, or would we have to pay $12/$50 for a wheelchair/ECV?

JoeCamel

Hello. I know this isn't the perfect thread to pose this question, but I was hoping to get some advice/questions answered.

We are planning to bring my mom (75 years old) to DL this November. She has hip issues which prevent her from standing for long durations at a time, though she is perfectly capable of walking, as the day drags longer her hips give her considerable pain. We're fairly confident that breaks in between riding attractions would mean that she wouldn't need a wheelchair/ECV. Her bladder isn't the greatest either. Would she qualify for DAS, or would we have to pay $12/$50 for a wheelchair/ECV?

Not sure why you are posting this in a Universal thread? maybe you would get a better response if you posted it in a DL thread?

Jon81uk

As far as I have read, Disney would encourage her to get an ECV or wheelchair. mobility issues don't normally get a DAS card.

rob0519

You have to pay the $12 or $50 whether or not you have a DAS or not. Having the DAS does not waive the rental fee.

JoeCamel

You have to pay the $12 or $50 whether or not you have a DAS or not. Having the DAS does not waive the rental fee.

I think the question was do you need to be in a chair EVC to get a card. No you don't and they cannot ask the nature of the disability

rob0519

I think the question was do you need to be in a chair EVC to get a card. No you don't and they cannot ask the nature of the disability

Then I misunderstood the question. You're absolutely right. You do not need to be in a wheelchair or ECV to request a DAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom