DIS Is Not Performing Well.. How Will This Effect Disneyworld?

Kamikaze

The thing about politics right now is that if you take a stance on either side of the line, you immediately tick off a significant portion of the population.

What portion? About 50% based on the last presidential election results.

The willingness of corporations to get political in this climate is also fascinating as generally corporations are heartless money-suckers who want as many hosts on which to feed as possible.

Unless this is just a sacrificial step towards something that will create more hosts. It has to be that, no?
Not exactly. Even at 2020's highest ever numbers, less than 50% of the US population voted.

EPCOT-O.G.

For every criticism that Disney management receives (raising prices, introducing Genie, taking away benefits), they respond with, "But look at the revenues! Look at the stock price!" Take away those things and what's left to defend?

Diamond Dot

I decided not to renew Disney+ for the moment. I did have Discovery+ (UK) only because they had an offer just before last year's French Open for £30 for 12 months, but, it's unlikely I'll renew it at full price.
To be honest, I love the US platform of Pluto TV, I find the paid for streaming services don't have anything to my taste, I just saw a trailer for Paramount+ new version of Star Trek and I cringed. The UKs free streaming services have plenty for me, the iPlayer doesn't have ads as it's the BBC's service. I grew up with just three TV channels so I suppose I view things differently. The money saved will be put on my prepaid travel card for my next Disney trip.

Trackmaster

A company's stock price is complicated, and you can't necessarily use it to draw inferences all the time. Especially in terms of how it will affect you directly. Remember, the market price of a share of common stock is just determined by the supply and demand curve and what brokers could expect to get when they unload the stock onto other brokers -- in theory, this should work out to equal the net present value of the company's future stream of dividends if held in perpetuity.

If a company's stock tumbles, it could mean that the company is in trouble -- or it could just mean that previously investors were too optimistic about the stock, and now its scaling back to reality some. A fallacy that investors always make is assuming that the company "is in great shape" or "they trust it" based on publicly available information, and thus the stock is a great buy. The reality is that all of that information would already be accounting for in the price of the stock. If do, the stock should preform as expect and go up as an average stock would. If false, the stock will lose value.

As long as the parks are making money, and/or helping the parent company through cross marketing opportunities, the parks aren't going anyway... Now the biggest concern might be political risk, with DeSantis intent on making life harder for WDW.

mikeanabean

I think the stock is taking a hit more due to the novelty of Disney Plus wearing off. People have had it now awhile, and while they have added content...it might not be enough to keep consumers into it. So that hurts it. The parks have seemed to doing great but maybe they overplayed their hand in pricing. I think sit down options at the park have reached critical mass in pricing. I am all for having a restaurant or two in a park that are charging higher prices but when all of them are charging high prices even an average restaurant is charging $29 for a chicken dish or spaghetti and meatballs..too much. Same with snacks...7 bucks for a pretzel?
Room prices rose so high that might be scaring future bookings. Finally the odl Genie...can we put him back in the bottle? I am pretty Disney Savy and even I don't know exactly how it works and I have read a few guides. People dont want much complication.... especially if they are paying extra for it.
BTW...lots of stocks are down. Starbucks isn't near it's highs....
I totally agree with everything you said. I think they priced themselves too higher based on higher demand and it will bite them. I am starting to see some decent discounts in the future so disneys forecasting is showing storms ahead for sure.

JoeCamel

Last edited:

Disneyfanman

The OG question is how this will impact Disney. The company value is plummeting and the PR right now is rough. The CEO reports to the Board of Directors and imagine how those conversations are going right now. A reduction is company value makes it more expensive to borrow money AND they have to deplete cash reserves at a faster rate. Some of these are market issues that are out of their control. Some of they are strategic issues and some of them are the problems that come from having a rookie CEO at the wheel. I’m predicting that Chapek will be gone by YE. His personal behavior, decisions and leadership are factors in all of this.

eliza61nyc

Speak with your wallet. Let the stock fall! Get rid of Chappy and then buy it up again when you feel like it's back on track. Sell! The parks will be better for it.
Lol Seriously?? I buy and sell based on my financial picture, I don't care how that effects the parks.

I'm in a hold pattern, I'm not selling my DIs stock nor buying, most of my stock was purchased slow and steady over decades. I'm a long term investor so generally I don't panic over short term results. I usually rebalance twice a year so we'll see around July

graphite1326

Lol Seriously?? I buy and sell based on my financial picture, I don't care how that effects the parks.

I'm in a hold pattern, I'm not selling my DIs stock nor buying, most of my stock was purchased slow and steady over decades. I'm a long term investor so generally I don't panic over short term results. I usually rebalance twice a year so we'll see around July
Yeah right now is not the time to sell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom