Dinosaur VS Jurrasic Park River Adventure

Defend10

adamthegetupkid said:
This is just a really random topic, but I must bring it up. The JP building (I can't remember the name), where you go inside and see all the eggs and everything, I remember going in there and it smelling TERRIBLY. Anyone else experience this?

You were probably there in nov 03-Jan/Feb 04, in Oct 03, they had a haunted attraction there for Halloween Horror Nights that year, and it had a few, um, unique scents. Psycho Scarepy was one of the best ever for HHN, too.

Matthew

dolbyman

I only rode the CA version 2 times ...

but some effects weren't working .. like the falling ford explorer :veryconfu

Epcot82Guy

Each attraction is different and has its strengths. JP works because it is larger. Being outdoors, the first few animatronics were quite effective. However, it lacks the suspense. I remember riding up the hill expecting more things to run out or drop or something else. I know it has the one raptor, but it is pretty fake. The ride system is fun, but it is predictable since it is a boat ride. As for Dinosaur, I think the AA's look good. They are smaller becaus ethey are indoors. I also think they have been better maintained (again, indoors helps). I also think the darkness helps, although I miss the days of CTX.

The storylines are different but equal. JP goes basically off a known story, so it has the upper hand. Dinosaur had a more creative approach and one that is more "Disney."

In short, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I prefer Dinosaur just simply because I can ride it and not get soaked. That's fun, but not an every-trip thing.

shmmrname

Of course everyone is going to prefer the the Jurassic Park theme when compared to Dinosaur. JP was a huge hit, it became a household name, and it introduced us to a complete unique idea and setting.
The ride showcases the setting perfectly, but in the end it really isn't that impressive in any other areas. You feel like your in Jurassic Park, but unfortunately your not doing much of anything for most of the ride. The final drop is fun, though I don't think it blows away other rides of it's type.
Dinosaur doesn't have the history/back-story to rely on. But, it does provide much more impact during the entire ride.
To me, it's hard comparing the two, because while they do both center on similar subjects, the rides are just too far apart to easily pick a winner.
By the way, Splash Mountain is a much more apt comparison to Jurassic Park, except then it's not even close. Splash Mountain is amazing.

Blackie Pueblo

I liked certain aspects of both rides. I mean I think the animatronics were a lot better in Dinosaur and the way the Disney dinosaur actually looked like it was chasing you but at the same time I thought the ride was kind of boring. It's just running through the dark, dark dark dark, flash look a dino, dark dark dark flash a dino, dark dark dark.

I think the ending of Jurassic just makes the ride worth while. But the debate on Dinosaur is a nonending one really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.newlineagefilms.com

MKCustodial

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Ive been on Dinosaur twice and Jurrasic Park River Adventure only once.. but from what I remember of both.. it seems that Disney has come up very short on their Dinosaur ride vs Universals Dinosaur based Jurrasic Park River Adventure ride.

Does anyone else feel this way? From the animatronics to effects to big ending.. Jurrasic Park just seems to have more Disney quality than Dinosaur does. Or is my memory failing me?

You're definitely right. All Dinosaur does is shake you around and keep you in the dark. Its "big finish" is so lame, you'd only come out screaming in the picture if you really want to. Now JP, that's one fun attraction! By the time you register the T-Rex is coming, you're already going down hill!

BigNorm

Having only ridden JP once I will say that I enjoyed the ride, but it isn't Disney. The splash factor is great (we were soaked for hours) if you ride up front. The story is pretty good too being a fan of the movies; however, it isn't Disney. It was hard to beat Dinosaur in it's '98 CTX version and even the watered down post Dinosaur the movie version isn't too shabby, though I long for the rougher CTX. Overall I'm going to say Dinosaur is the better attraction, I like Jurassic Park the Ride but it isn't Disney.

kap91

Count Down To Extinction was much much better than Jurassic Park

Dinosaur is only a little bit better than Jurassic Park

I personnally think the rough roading Dinosaur is a lot more fun than sitting in a boat moving at one mile an hour and then dropping down 80ft. I'm not trying to bash Jurassic Park because it is a good ride when all the effects work, it's just that most times they don't and even if they did Dinosaur I believe is still better.

R.I.P Count Down To Extinction

I haven't been to AK to ride the Dinosaur ride, but I really enjoyed the JP ride.. The fall really scared me (the first time), but each ride thereafter was still enjoyable.. I can't wait till I get to ride the AK ride though!!

bearboysnc

patsfan567 said:
last time i rode jurassic park only a couple of the dinosaurs where working and there skin on there head was torn off and you could see all of the wiring, also the trex was not working.:lol: Dinosaur is a way more thrilling ride to me than jurassic park. GO DINOSAUR:sohappy:

Universal has never been able to create anamatronics that have the longevity as Disney's. Is it their design? Or is it their maintenance?

Every time I've been on JP in both Orlando and Hollywood, there are key animatronics missing or soundless or motionless. It's always dissapointing. I've just stopped going on it.

srkingdom2

That is true the last time i went on Jurassic Park i heard the T- Rex roar before we were even inside the Building! Plus the dinosaurs were way out of shape most looked bad and worn and torn... This ride has so much potential but it doesent reach it.... They should try to make it newer and create a more convincing storyline to it, Just my 2 cents...

Cynderella

I like Jurassic Park way better for the fact that Dinosaur scares the you know what outta me. I've been to Disney 20+ times and have still never seen the entire dinosaur ride. Plus I just like T-rex - I think he's cute!

JerMerBear

I rode Jurrasic Park River Adventure this past summer and was very underwhelmed by the experience.

Sure, the ending was good, but the overall ride experience was lacking. I don't really think you can compare the two, since you can't do as much with a water ride with those large style of boats.

I'd say Dinosaur is way better. I always get off with a smile.

I think Dudley Do-Right Ripsaw Falls was a blast! Glad I was in the back!

basas

I actually really enjoy both rides...although I really don't find that T-Rex at the end of JPRA to be very scary. IMO, the dinosaur looks awkward, and starts 'roaring' at you too soon (before you go down), and then after you see it there, it kind of just stays there for a few seconds while you creep forward to the large drop (which, BTW, for an 85 foot drop, doesn't feel any bigger than Splash's 52 foot drop...I think it is the size of the boat (even Dudley's 75 feels bigger). Anyways, overall I think Dinosaur is scarier and slightly more enjoyable but I do really love the music and the atmosphere as you enter the JP 'gates' and slowly cruise as you ‘tour’ the dinosaurs. Other than that though, it feels slightly ‘empty’, or ‘lifeless’ for a major e-ticket, although I can’t pinpoint exactly what exactly makes it feel like this.

srkingdom2

The lack of a storyline why the hell are you exactly going to Jurassic Park? They have to make it like if you were looking for survivors In Disneys Dinosaur you have a mission bring back a Dinosaur before a comet hits that makes it more interesting and you have that constant state oif Danger looming... Jurassic Park does not!

imagineer boy

Technically the story of Jurassic Park is, you're taking a tour of the Dino holding pens like in the movie, except you're in boats. Of corse, something goes wrong, and you're pushed into the raptor holding pen where all hell breaks loose. So technicall, it has a story.

The Dinosaur story is not bad, but a little unbelieveable IMO. Technically the story is that you're going to take a time tour in the past with the Dinos, but Dr. Seeker wants to go to a different time to bring back an Iguanadon which happens to be right before the asteroid hits.

BTW, is the person who does the narration for the Jurassic Park ride James Earl Jones?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom