Dinoland...

Tom Orrow

Original Poster
Parts of dinoland in AK don't seem to fit the disney standard meaning that it looks as though they were just trying to put stuff in to fit the space such as primeeevil wirl the dinosaur copy of Dumbo the flying elephant and what is with the carnival games I really don't understand that part at all so what I'm saying is that Dinoland feels more like a carnival rather than an actual part of Disney.

(Please share your comments below! :)

ddbowdoin

I think they intended for that feel... for some odd reason. I mean, its pretty evident with the carnival games and oversized prizes haha. I am not sure how I feel about AK in general. It's a pretty tight and HOT park!

BrerFrog

It has already been discussed here a lot of times, and most people don't like it. I will agree with them. If you slap a good backstory on a poorly-themed land it will still be a poorly-themed land.

ddbowdoin

It has already been discussed here a lot of times, and most people don't like it. I will agree with them. If you slap a good backstory on a poorly-themed land it will still be a poorly-themed land.

+ one... feels like the many trips I've had to Six Flags New England

drossjr

:ROFLOL:thats putting it perfectly!

I do enjoy Primeevil Whirl even though my ribs and shoulders dont! :ROFLOL:

Overall I am not a big fan of that land but Dinosaur isnt bad

BrerFrog

:ROFLOL:thats putting it perfectly!

I do enjoy Primeevil Whirl even though my ribs and shoulders dont! :ROFLOL:

Overall I am not a big fan of that land but Dinosaur isnt bad

I love Dinosaur! If they expanded the Dino Institute theming into the entire area it would probably be my favorite part of the park.

JohnLocke

While I'm not a big fan of most of Hester and Chester's, I do like Primeval Whirl and can understand why they went with the theme. I'd imagine they probably felt they had to distance themselves from Universal's Jurassic Park, at least a little bit.

Courtney1188

This. I can see that you're new here, but it's been discussed at length. 99% of comments will agree that they don't like it. But yes, it was most definitely intentional.

Krack

It was typical late-90s Disney thinking - just build it as cheaply as possible and people will come based on their name's goodwill anyways. It's the same reason the DCA's boardwalk was one step above Six Flags; it was the pinnacle of taking the public for granted.

Grizzly Hall 71

I'm in the minority here. Dinoland is my favorite section of AK. Sure Dino-Rama looks cheap but it works so well with its back-story. I mean the flying dinosaurs weren't needed but primeval and the games work well with the backstory.
Do I think Walt would have approved it? NO
Do I like it? Yes.
Does it look cheap? Yes
But isn't it suppose to look that way?
And I mean it was better than what wa there before in my opinion.

Rob562

I am not a fan of dinoland at all.

To people who say this, I suggest they direct it specifically at Dinorama, and not to Dinoland USA as a whole land.

As has been discussed many times in the past, Dinoland as it originally opened with the park was one of the best-themed lands, with one of the most completely-thought-out, cohesive storylines in any Disney park.
I didn't even mind Chester & Hester's, which at the time was solely the gift shop. It just worked with everything else.

It wasn't until they decided to add onto that original storyline to come up with a "reason" to add Dinorama that things started to go downhill.

I'll admit, the execution of the themeing in Dinorama is spot-on to the backstory. But it's the backstory that is flawed.

-Rob

DisneyNut2007

It wasn't until they decided to add onto that original storyline to come up with a "reason" to add Dinorama that things started to go downhill.

I'll admit, the execution of the themeing in Dinorama is spot-on to the backstory. But it's the backstory that is flawed.

-Rob

You are wrong again and you know that! :mad:

End of story!

scoobygirl39541

I love Dinosaur! If they expanded the Dino Institute theming into the entire area it would probably be my favorite part of the park.

Yes! I LOVE Dinosaurs and because of that I love dinoland, but it irks me to no end that it had SOOOOO much potential and they added a carnival? urgh.

AK is still my favorite park, but I always have this hopeful thought in the back of my mind that they will fix dinoland, but who knows. :shrug:

When was the Dinorama part built? What was there before? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but my first trip was in May 2001 and I just can't seem to remember that part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom