Dinoland is not as bad as I thought.

lamarvenoy

Original Poster
I went last week for a short 4 day trip to WDW. We ended up going to AK because we were up so early that it was the only park open (early admission). Well, I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years and generally I don't care to visit because the park layout can be a little too hectic and it always seems so hot there. I went mainly because I was curious about EE and I wanted to see in person just how big it really is.....I was impressed-its BIG. My son just turned 2 and we are trying to entertain him more with "young children activities" so we went to the dig in Dinoland and he had an awesome time. While there we went to the Chester & Hester area and I have to admit I liked it. Now, I have been against it from day 1 and I still feel the unimaginative - off the shelf rides in any form are against Disney standards,but I did like the area. I had to keep it in context- an older carnival/dinosaur theme,but it was cooler than I thought. The carnival games were fun and the prizes they awarded were much bigger and nicer than real fairs or carnivals. I won a few stuffed animals for my son and he LOVES them. I spent maybe $15 bucks and won three medium sized toys.Those are by far the cheapest Disney souveneirs I have ever purchased! I didn't ride the rides because my son is too small and my wife hates rollercoasters and anything that spins. But overall I had a better time than expected.

Main Street USA

When the full story of the theming of Dinoland is known, I think Chester and Hesters Dinorama is borderline brilliant.

Flame away, but that is my honest opinion.

ps....glad you had a great time back there!

dhall

>> When the full story of the theming of Dinoland is known, I think Chester and Hesters Dinorama is borderline brilliant.

I agree -- I've always thought that the way that they put together the backstory in Dinoland is head-and-shoulders better than any themed area on the property. You could spend a half-day just finding all of the references to the professors, grad-students, and other characters. There's a ton of material there to reward the observant.

nickcarraway

Yeah, I don't understand why people just don't "get it" when it comes to Dinoland, U.S.A. or more specifically Hester and Chester's Dino-Rama. Do people feel the same way about Paradise Pier at DCA because I think that concept is far worse (granted, I've never been to DCA)? I will admit putting Dino-Rama amid Dinoland, U.S.A. is a bit confusing. If you're going to do cheesey, it needs to be an all or nothing sort of thing.

wannabeBelle

I have always thought Dino-land was kind of cute. I especially like Primevil Whirl. It is my giggle coaster!!!! And I almost never miss a chance to see Tarzan Rocks!! I just love that show!! Belle

speck76

I for one really think Dinorama is great. Not only did it accomplish adding "more" to a park with few attractions, but it also makes sense in a financial sense with the games. Sure, they may just be carnival games, but they each match the theme of the area....it is not like WDW just put a bunch of mix and match carnival games in the area.

The detailing of the area is also great, from the "old parking lot" ground, to the white painted rocks and tires surrounding the grass.....the detailing is very true to what the area is supposed to be.

Yen_Sid1

Dino-Rama could have been a great area. But they did on the cheap and are they paying for it now. It could have been so much better and the orginal plans for the area were so much more imaginative and interactive.

brich

I like Dinoland alot as well. It is what it is and I like that. Of course my Dad is a Paleontologist so anything with "Dino" in it gets my blood running. :)

Main Street USA

Yen_Sid1 said:
Dino-Rama could have been a great area. But they did on the cheap and are they paying for it now. It could have been so much better and the orginal plans for the area were so much more imaginative and interactive.
That's just it, though. The fact that that part of the area is "on the cheap" is part of the theming and story of Dinoland as a whole. That's what makes it cool.

Legacy

I agree about the concept. And knowing the full concept behind the area does make the feel of it work a lot better. I just wish it didn't ruin the power of walking up on the Olden Gate Bridge. Seeing the bright colors against the subdued bones of Oldie just clash way to much. Even if they had just moved the whole thing over ten feet I would like it a whole lot more.

m star

I like both areas of Dinoland, I just think that together they clash. I really liked the Boneyard/Restaurantosaurus look, and the new part does not hold to that.

Tim G

speck76 said:
I for one really think Dinorama is great. Not only did it accomplish adding "more" to a park with few attractions, but it also makes sense in a financial sense with the games. Sure, they may just be carnival games, but they each match the theme of the area....it is not like WDW just put a bunch of mix and match carnival games in the area.

The detailing of the area is also great, from the "old parking lot" ground, to the white painted rocks and tires surrounding the grass.....the detailing is very true to what the area is supposed to be.
IMO the only thing that needs happening is renaming it into DinoRama Fair

DigitalDisney

I've been a Dinoland fan from the beginning. Is it cheesy? Of course. But it's also fun.

It's no less themed, detailed, or fun than any other area in WDW. The theme is really well executed, almost to perfection.

My only real complaint is that the land is now less about dinosaurs than it used to be. For example, it used to have the Fossil Lab and the walk-through exhibit with skeletons. I really wish that those could have been relocated or preserved somehow. They didn't attract a whole lot of visitors, but they emphasised the spirit of discovery that AK has.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom