Dinner Shows

CaptChris

I am going to WDW in August, and am looking for something to do following my day at Blizzard Beach. I am considering a Dinner Show. I am looking at Hoop Dee Doo, Medieval Times, or the Polynesian Luau.

My question is this. What Dinner Shows are good, and what dinner shows are bad, i.e., ones to stay away from.

I would be interested in knowing which ones are good for kids, and which ones have the best food.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Mitzer

I can tell you about the HDD dinner show. The Poly has just been revamped, so I am sure someone here has done it since it reopened a little bit ago. The Medievel Times is off property...have never done that one. The HDD has a great show that kids love and is very interactive. The food is basically fried chicken with the southern bbq fixings, salad, bread, beer or wine and shortcake for dessert. If you have special dietary needs, call ahead...I do have some restrictions and they did a great alternative meal for me. I was definitely not disappointed. Also, the Poly Luau had a wonderful show, but most people didn't care for the food. I have heard (but have no first hand experience) that the new show and food are much better. You may want to consider that one also if you are into the Polynesian theme. Either way, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Have a great trip and good luck choosing.

Upvote 0

Mitzer

Just thought of this...

Also, did you consider the Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness. I don't know the dates that it runs...but I do believe it is going in August. I hear it is really nice and great fun for kids. Just a thought...

Upvote 0

Katherine

I haven't done the Luau or the Medievil TImes dinner shows but I have to say the HDMR is so much FUN!! If your going with kids definantly do this one! I'm 14 and I had a blast at this one. Very fun and there is NEVER a dull moment in the entire show. The food is great too! again I can't compare but I would say definantly think hard about doing the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review!!

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

I'm with MITZER on this one!

I've said itmany times before and just proved again last week that the HOOP-DEE-DOO is by far the most fun you will ever have eating dinner!

It's an AWESOME dinner show and now we HAVE to go at least once every vacation!

It's corny, hokey, silly, and good old fashioned FUN, that takes some very good talent to pull off!

Also, for some strange reason, the food items seem to be the best of their kind served anywhere on the property! Maybe it's the bottomless mug of Sangria talking (**HICK**) :lol: but the unlimited corn bread, fried chicken, ribs, and everything else they serve is extra good!

(I won't tell you what's for dessert, because that's part of the show!)

"Kids" of ALL ages will enjoy this show! (And if they're not, you can always volunteer them to be IN the show!) :lol:

HOOP-DEE-DOO it, and tell us when you come back how much you loved it!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

On another note....the Luau food and service was awful when we went last year!! I don't think it was the SHOW that need the overhaul -- it was the FOOD AND SERVICE!!! :hurl:

Upvote 0

mwitkus

I haven't done any dinner shows yet (odd I know) but this year we are booked for the Hoop Dee Doo Review and definitely looking forward to it. From what we have heard, it is by far the favorite of the dinner shows on disney property..

Upvote 0

Stellajack

:wave:
Ditto to all that was said above about the Hoop-De-Doo. I was there in Dec 02, and have reservations for June 03. Wayne was our waiter and I must say that I would never have taken him for a Strawberry Shortcake Rockette, but he did a great job and we had a wonderful time. By all means catch this one if you can only choose one dinner show!:slurp:

Upvote 0

EmeraldDolphin

I've been to all 3 dinner shows that you've mentioned... they were all good, but in different ways... with smaller kids I'd say go with the HDD or the Luau, and the earlier Luau used to include Mickey & Minnie (when we went) don't know if it's still the same... the HDD was a lot of laughs!! :lol: Medievel Times is in Kissimmee and about a 30 minute ride from Disney... there are Knights on horses, and everyone cheers really loud for their Knight... may be kind of intense for little kids (?)

Upvote 0

xoxJEWELxox

I have also been to all three....The HDD was great for laughs and the Luau was also fun...I love to go to Medievel Times....the atmosphere of it is amazing....you really feel like your back in Medievel times....I agree with EmeraldDolphin....if you are going with little kids...it may be a bit intense...but if your not...I would go...its soo much fun!

Upvote 0

freaklarm

Originally posted by Mitzer
Just thought of this...

Also, did you consider the Backyard BBQ at Fort Wilderness. I don't know the dates that it runs...but I do believe it is going in August. I hear it is really nice and great fun for kids. Just a thought...

I want to help you with this one. The Mickey's Backyard BBQ takes place every Tuesday and Thursday yearound at the Backyard BBQ Pavillion in what it used to be River Country. This is not a dinner show is pretty much a character dinner, with the characters doing a little dancing and singing (like they do at Cristal Palace). But let me tell you IT IS AN ALL YOU CAN EAT BBQ EXTRAVAGANZA!!!! So people that are into the BBQ loves this dinner.

Upvote 0

freaklarm

I've also been in all the dinner shows you mentioned and this is what I think about them. MT- show is good but I thought that the food was kinda cheap. Luau - while the old show was great I have to agree with most peolple here about the food, it was cold and cheap looking for what you pay to eat there. I've heard that the new one is much better so I'm planning on doing it on May. HDDR- by far the best dinner show in Orlando, since my favorite food is fried chicken this is paradise for me, and let me tell you I think that food here is amazing, love it. I go there every once in a while, my best friend works there as a performer, so I say go for this one.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

iluvwdw

The HDD sounds great...but does anyone have any experience taking LITTLE children (under 2) to this? My son will be 22 months when we go in August and I am wondering if this is something that would hold his interest. :veryconfu

Upvote 0

GalacticGobbler

Hoop de doo

Don't miss the Hoop de doo. We just went for the first time and loved it. Our seats were front and center, I mean the table for two in the middle of the front row. Was a great experience.

Upvote 0

poohgirl

Hoop Dee Doo gets my vote. We've gone 3 times an my kids want to do it again. The 1st time we went my husband and 2 sons tried to get me to cancell, but they had so much fun they keep wanting to go back again.

Upvote 0

DCL

I look forward to Hoop Dee Doo every year I go. I have such a great time there. Nothing can top it. The last two times I've gone, I've been fortunate enough to sit at the center table... all the action revolved around me! It was great!

Upvote 0

Katherine

Originally posted by iluvwdw
The HDD sounds great...but does anyone have any experience taking LITTLE children (under 2) to this? My son will be 22 months when we go in August and I am wondering if this is something that would hold his interest. :veryconfu
This will hold anyones insterest! The action never stops unless the food just came out and it has so many silly things going on. The end is great too because the pass out washboards and spoons and you just go at it until the end! It's a great time!!:D

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

Originally posted by iluvwdw

We took our eldest when he was 19 months and he loved it, ate enough fried chicken tolast him all week!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom