Dining Reviews for restaurants, shows & new child's menus

marmermea

Original Poster
We just got back. We were there from 10/18 - 10/24. We had a wonderful trip and loved the dining plan! And even though I posted earlier with concern for the new child's menus, it all worked out just fine!

Here are my reviews:

Rainforest Cafe - DD
Food was very good, kids loved it! It's such a fun place for kids, that we'd probably go even if the food was just mediocre, but the good news is that it is very good. We all enjoyed everything we ordered. My two DD (8 and 9) got their beverages in a new cup that lights up and blinks and they thought that was wonderful! You can make an actual reservation here, which I did, and the table was ready right away.

Chef Mickey's
It was EMH for Magic Kingdom so we got up early, grabbed a poptart and arrived at MK before opening. There were no lines at all so we were able to ride all we wanted. Then, at about 10:45, we got on the monorail to the Contemporary and went to Chef Mickey's for our 11:20 reservation. We treated this as brunch and we were fine until dinner. We did arrive about 10 minutes early, but had to wait to be seated about 25-30 minutes! That wasn't much fun. But there was a lot of action going on, the characters were out in full force, the food was pretty good. The kids loved it. But honestly, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go without kids. (Sorry, I know that might not be a popular comment with some).

Mickey's Backyard BBQ
This was not only a lot of fun for the kids, but for the adults as well. This past week brought record high's to Florida. It was 91-93 the whole time we were there and very humid. We were so hot standing in line to go to this show. It was very pleasant to be greeted with large trays of lemonade, fruit punch and cold beers! It starts at 6:30 but they tell you to be there at 6:00. We (and I think everyone else) were in line by 5:45. But they did let us in at 6:00 and we could have drinks and snag a table close to the stage. They actually opened the buffet around 6:20. The food was ok. Chicken, ribs, grilled hot dogs and cheeseburgers, corn, watermelon and mac-n-cheese. For some reason, my kids didn't love any of the food until they brought out the ice cream carts full of Mickey ice cream bars, and lots of other Mickey frozen treats. The continuous show was lots of fun. The kids gathered around on the floor and watched the rope tricks. They were able to dance with the characters. Some adults danced, some just sat back and enjoyed the cold beers. Although it was a hot muggy night and it was outdoors, they had large ceiling fans and it was cool enough. We all enjoyed it. We did leave about 8:30 instead of staying until the 9:30 ending and I don't think we missed anything. I think this is fun for all ages!

Blizzard Beach
This is where we first encountered the new children's menus which I had not been happy about. But you know what? At a counter service, you go up and order the meals, so you really don't have to order the kids menu if you don't want. Just order four counter service meals. One thing that I really liked - one of the menu items for kids was turkey and cheese sandwich (two little ones in small buns). People have complained about getting too much food on the Dining Plan and I was very hot and not that hungry. So I ordered the kids turkey and cheese sandwich for myself and got sides of grapes and carrot sticks. It was cold and light and perfect for the hot day at BB. Because I had purchased the BB refillable mug, I ordered the Nesquick chocolate milk with my meal and gave it to my daughter who had ordered a snack menu item (Nachos w/ cheese). So I saved on a drink.

Coral Reef :)
I have read mixed reviews about this restaurant, but this was by far our favorite restaurant! I can't tell you how much we all enjoyed everything we ordered! First, we were seated right next to the tank with a giant sea turtle who kept swimming up for air and then returning right in front of us! My girls were mesmerized! I ordered the shrimp cocktail and it was delicious! My DH ordered the crab claws and he loved them. Our daughters had a choice of the creamy lobster soup or vegetables as an appetizer and they didn't like either choice so we ordered the lobster soup for them and we ate it! It was excellent!!!! My DH ordered the Pan-seared Ahi Tuna as an entree and he said it was one of the best things he had ever had. He wasn't even a tuna fan before that. Because I love shellfish, but don't like fish, and there weren't any shellfish dishes, I ordered the Grilled NY Strip Steak. It was truly excellent, even if I did break the rule and order a steak in a seafood restaurant! The girls ordered the Triton's Pasta with cheese from the kids menu and loved it. Then it was dessert time! I had to order the Chocolate Wave. It was heavenly and presented beautifully. My DH had the Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. The waitress had warned him it could be a little dry, but he thought it was wonderful The kids chose the Build-your-own sundae and it was beautifully presented. The plate came with a little chocolate waffle bowl with vanilla ice cream. There was a beautiful solid chocolate decorated sign on it and little bowls of m&m's, sprinkles and other goodies on the plate. They thought they were in heaven. The service was excellent the whole time as well. As I said, this was our favorite restaurant!

Spirit of Aloha Polynesian Luau
We did this on Saturday night for the 8:00 show. We arrived at the requested time of 7:30. We had to stand in a long line and wait to be checked in. Then, once they checked you in, unlike Mickey's Backyard BBQ where they had trays of beverages waiting, they had one cash bar if you wanted anything to drink in your half hour wait. At 8:00, when they started to seat you, it took quite a while to get seated. We were lucky that we got a front row seat for the show! But it was probably another 30 minutes by the time we were able to order and receive a drink. So don't arrive thirsty! When we were seated, they had fresh pineapple, coconut bread and salad at the table. We then received the main course of ribs, chicken, rice and vegetables (broccoli and carrots). The vegetables were pretty good, the chicken was ok, we didn't love the ribs or the rice. The kids were able to order the kids items. They brought out a little white "box lunch" of a mini hot dog, a cup of mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets. They were also able to eat anything that the adults had as well. The show was pretty good. We all enjoyed it. They brought out dessert after a little while, Kilauea Volcano Delight. It was presented by the waiters all at the same time as a giant smoking volcano, but somehow, when they brought it to your place, it was four little mounds of volcano shaped mousse? or pudding? or something. We didn't love the dessert. So... overall, it was a pretty good time. But we have done it and probably won't do it again.

Le Cellier
We had hear so much about this restaurant, we had to try it. When we were seated, we found out we were awarded the "Table of the Day!" There were crowns for each of us and confetti and stickers on the table. Fun for the kids. I had the Grilled Beef Tenderloin Kabob appetizer. I ordered it medium rare and it came back well done. I did send it back and it came back well done again. I told them not to worry about it, but I had ordered a filet for dinner and really wanted it medium rare. Because it was well done, it wasn't good for me and I didn't really eat it. My DH ordered the Prince Edward Island Mussels and got a huge portion (this one is for sharing) and he thought it was very good. Again, the kids had appetizer choices of soup or salad and didn't want either so we ordered their appetizer choices of Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup. I didn't like it personally, but this is not my kind of dish so it doesn't mean anthing to those who do love this kind of thing. My husband liked it very much even though he thought he might not. For dinner, I had the 7 ounce filet. I wasn't thrilled with the sound of the maple barbecue sauce that came on it but had read on these boards that it is better than it sounds, so I tried it on the side. It was a very nice taste, I just didn't think it went with steak. My DH had the same. The girls had the chicken nuggets from the childs menu and were happy. Their dessert choice was called the Campfire S'mores and it was a fantastic presentation for kids! They didn't eat a lot of it, but I think they were just full! I tried the Chocolate Whiskey Cake and it was excellent, although I was too full to eat much. My DH had a duo of Creme Brulees with different sauces and was very happy. Overall, it was a very nice meal, but we did like Coral Reef better.

50's Prime Time Cafe
What fun! We had a wonderful "Mom" who really played along! She really ragged on my DH and the kids thought it was hilarious! My DH and I had the shrimp cocktail which was surprisingly good! The kids had the chicken noodle soup for their appetizer which got mixed reviews. Too many vegetables for their Campbell's chicken noodle soup taste. Oh well. My DH and I had the Fried chicken plate which was wonderful! But way too much food. The girls encountered the new child's menu for the first time at a table service restaurant and were not impressed. So they ordered off of the additional choices of mac-n-cheese or chicken nuggets, I think. For the first time, also, they were presented with a much less vacationing kid friendly choice of a fruit cup or a small ice cream for dessert. What was terrible is that "Mom" brought the adults dessert menu on a view master. Of course, the kids loved looking at that and saw all kinds of kid oriented build your own sundaes, chocolate brownie sundaes, milkshakes, etc. Thankfully, Mom understood and let them order off of that. She said she wouldn't tell if we didn't. Thanks Mom for saving the day! So we had build your own sundaes and chocolate brownie sundaes (which I don't think anyone ate even a third of) and all was well. Overall, a lot of fun and a surprisingly good meal! Way better, and I mean WAY better a meal than Sci-Fi Theatre!

And one counter service. Shudder...
Toy Story Pizza Planet at MGM. :( The kids had to go there! I thought, "How can you really mess up pizza?" so we went. Honestly, I believe that they take a round pizza crust and pour a watery version of V-8 tomato juice on it. Then add some cheese and presto - your pizza. It was horrible! We threw away every pizza, kids included. Go here for a drink and a dessert or just to let the kids play in the arcade. But do yourself a favor and skip the pizza!

That's all. Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask any questions!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Great reviews! I'll have to give Coral Reef another chance next year on vacation (as long as there's free dining). And Le Cellier......:slurp::slurp::slurp:

Dagger

Great reviews... I want to retry Coral Reef (last time I was 18) but DH hates seafood... good to know there's steak there.

pinkrose

Blizzard Beach
This is where we first encountered the new children's menus which I had not been happy about. But you know what? At a counter service, you go up and order the meals, so you really don't have to order the kids menu if you don't want. Just order four counter service meals. One thing that I really liked - one of the menu items for kids was turkey and cheese sandwich (two little ones in small buns). People have complained about getting too much food on the Dining Plan and I was very hot and not that hungry. So I ordered the kids turkey and cheese sandwich for myself and got sides of grapes and carrot sticks. It was cold and light and perfect for the hot day at BB. Because I had purchased the BB refillable mug, I ordered the Nesquick chocolate milk with my meal and gave it to my daughter who had ordered a snack menu item (Nachos w/ cheese). So I saved on a drink.

Great reviews!

I just want to add that beginning of last month (Jan), they now have the credits seperated between adult and child credits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom