Dining reservations input

chama1

Original Poster
How can I get dining reservations without staying as a resort?...it seem impossible. I've tried as soon the the system is open for reservations but it's already booked (Dinner)????

Weather_Lady

Every restaurant at WDW can't possibly already be booked solid for dinner if the window just opened. Are you sure you're trying on the right day (60 days ahead)?

If it's just one popular restaurant you're after, then of course it is probably booked up already. Try using the touringplans reservation finder tool, or just keep checking back daily to see if a spot opens up. In the meantime, try to book your second or third choice as a fallback.

Last edited:

drizgirl

They did say recently that they were going to start holding back some reservations at the hotel restaurants for guests staying there. Nobody has said how guests are supposed to access those. Would the system only recognize those staying there? Would they be available in person from concierge when you arrive? Your guess is as good as mine. But I did notice a marked difference in availability when booking for my upcoming trip, even at 60 + 10, the first possible day anybody could be booking.

chama1

Original Poster
I've been trying to get reservation for "Ohana" but when I do at 6am...no matter what new date opens up (I'm local) it's booked?...was informed the Disney "guest" have first choice.

Weather_Lady

I've been trying to get reservation for "Ohana" but when I do at 6am...no matter what new date opens up (I'm local) it's booked?...was informed the Disney "guest" have first choice.
Despite some unpopular changes to the menu and the removal of live entertainment, 'Ohana dinner remains one of the hardest-to-get reservations, and has been for years, unless you're looking toward the end of a multi-day "60 days plus length-of-stay" window for onsite guests. If you've only got the 60-day window to work with, availability will be little to none.

If you're not an onsite guest (staying at a WDW hotel), you'll just need to keep trying, use a reservation finder app, or try for a walk-up on the day you want to eat. If you can't get an 'Ohana reservation, Kona Cafe is a good alternative if you're looking for similar Polynesian/Asian flavor profiles and decor although it is a la carte, and the Boma buffet (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) is a good option if the goal is an all-you-care-to-enjoy meal with interesting, Internationally-influenced dishes.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

if you are in the parks try walk-up. got both homecoming at disney springs and rose and crown by just walking up and asking.
Good advice, especially with the change to the window for cancelling without penalty. Now that people can cancel up to 2 hours ahead, there will presumably be more day-of walk-ups available than we've seen in years.

chama1

Original Poster
Despite some unpopular changes to the menu and the removal of live entertainment, 'Ohana dinner remains one of the hardest-to-get reservations, and has been for years, unless you're looking toward the end of a multi-day "60 days plus length-of-stay" window for onsite guests. If you've only got the 60-day window to work with, availability will be little to none.

If you're not an onsite guest (staying at a WDW hotel), you'll just need to keep trying, use a reservation finder app, or try for a walk-up on the day you want to eat. If you can't get an 'Ohana reservation, Kona Cafe is a good alternative if you're looking for similar Polynesian/Asian flavor profiles and decor although it is a la carte, and the Boma buffet (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) is a good option if the goal is an all-you-care-to-enjoy meal with interesting, Internationally-influenced dishes.
Thanks...you are so right...the last time I was there my kids were 14 and 10...now their 51 and 47....wanted to go on my upcoming birthday...since it just me I'll try just taking a chance by stopping by...as a local I can do it anytime....once again thanks

DfromATX

How can I get dining reservations without staying as a resort?...it seem impossible. I've tried as soon the the system is open for reservations but it's already booked (Dinner)????
We are staying at the Dolphin and I was officially 60 days out this morning. I was ready to go by 5:00 a.m. (central) on the dot. There was NOTHING available in Hollywood Studios. Good luck!

DfromATX

They did say recently that they were going to start holding back some reservations at the hotel restaurants for guests staying there. Nobody has said how guests are supposed to access those. Would the system only recognize those staying there? Would they be available in person from concierge when you arrive? Your guess is as good as mine. But I did notice a marked difference in availability when booking for my upcoming trip, even at 60 + 10, the first possible day anybody could be booking.

That's a good idea I think. Or at least they could just add more spots for the guests at that hotel. Kind of annoying to not be able to get a dining reservation at the hotel you're staying at. I'm assuming when you start booking, the system knows that's where you're staying.

The Colonel

I just used Dining Fairy to get a difficult 'Ohana ADR. Worked like a charm. $6 PP though. You don't pay if they don't get the ADR.

nickys

Premium Member
I just looked at that. How do non-Disney sites get reservations?
I just read through their terms of service.

You have to set them up as Family & Friends on MDE so that they can book for you. And give them your CC details.

I don’t particularly like what they do, it’s a step further than the alert services. They call themselves a paid concierge service.

The Colonel

I tried the alert services and repeatedly was not fast enough. These new services grab the ADRs before you get a chance to do it manually.

I give them a virtual credit card so they don't have access to a real credit card number. What I like is you don't pay if they are unsuccessful.

nickys

Premium Member
I tried the alert services and repeatedly was not fast enough. These new services grab the ADRs before you get a chance to do it manually.

I give them a virtual credit card so they don't have access to a real credit card number. What I like is you don't pay if they are unsuccessful.
Not sure they really could charge you if they didn’t find what you wanted.

The secret with alerts is to always log on and check MDE. The link in the alert will only work once but the chances are the availability is there.

I’ve always got lucky with Touring Plans, never failed to get what I wanted. And I had to rely on the emails too. It was the ones that came in at 5-6am GMT that I was always able to get.

DfromATX

I don't know if this matters to anyone or not, but I thought I'd double check again today for dinner at Hollywood Studios (for January 24 specifically) and a few dinner times showed up. Before there were none. Also it wouldn't let me keep my Oga's reservation even though it was like two hours before, so I rebooked it for in the morning. My thinking was we'd have before dinner drinks, but oh well. I guess that means there's an evening Oga's open now too.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't know if this matters to anyone or not, but I thought I'd double check again today for dinner at Hollywood Studios (for January 24 specifically) and a few dinner times showed up. Before there were none. Also it wouldn't let me keep my Oga's reservation even though it was like two hours before, so I rebooked it for in the morning. My thinking was we'd have before dinner drinks, but oh well. I guess that means there's an evening Oga's open now too.
That’s odd. Usually the system only requires an hour’s gap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom