Dining Plan worth having?

Rachel S1321

We have a trip booked for Sept10-17th. Our kids are extremely light eaters. Most meals they can split. We have the quick service dining plan on our reservation, but I just have this feeling we are wasting money with it. My kids will be 7 and 3, both are more into snacking then big meals. We are staying at the Art of Animation so we won't be getting free dining if its offered. This is our first time purchasing a dining plan so any thoughts on it are greatly appreciated!!

Rachel S1321

Original Poster

Thank you!!

On that basis alone I'd say your probably going to lose out

Thank you! Just don't want to waste the money, I would rather save it and use it on other things besides throwing their left over food in the garbage. I envision myself sitting at the table calculating the cost of our losses every bite they don't take. From what I understand meal sizes are quite large? Would they be allowed to split meals with out the plan at quick service locations?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

From what I understand meal sizes are quite large? Would they be allowed to split meals with out the plan at quick service locations?

It totally depends on the meal. If you get PB&J with grapes and carrot sticks, PB&J is a standard Smuckers uncrustables, with about 10 grapes in the package and maybe a dozen baby carrot sticks. Some of the other meals are going to be larger or smaller.

At a QS location, no one really cares who eats what. As long as you are able to pay for it, be it using dining plan credits, cash, check, whatever they accept, you can eat it how ever you want. Split it evenly, one person eats all the fries from every meal, whatever. Kids can eat an adult meal, adults can eat the kids meals, as long as you can pay for it, eat it however you wish. My DW and I have split kids meals as snacks on occasion, and other times we each have our own adult meal.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Run the numbers - I found these two sites to be very helpful Disney Dining Calculator and Seeyarealsoon

If you're kids are under 10, and you like to do some charachter meals, then its possible to make the dining plan work. I'm going away for a week in April, and I could have easily made the QS meal plan, heck, even the regular meal plan work for me, had Disney not have the wacky policy of forcing 10 year olds onto the adult menu/cost structure. Paying for 4 adults pushes the cost well beyond the threshold of paying for itself - at least for me.

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

I don't think it would be worth the money for you...especially if your kids are light eaters. The kids meals offer a decent amount of food and could easily be split between the two. Save the money for souvenirs which they will enjoy more than food.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

We would just get an extra adult meal the my kids split. Or when they were really little we would just cut up food off of our plate to feed them. Everyone getting their own meal is a bit of a waste with light eaters. Being out all day in the heat changed our eating habits to more of grazers then big meals. We also tended to stop and rest and snack a bit more. And you drink more water in the heat so you are less hungry.

Upvote 0

BrocksDoDisney

Run the numbers - I found these two sites to be very helpful Disney Dining Calculator and Seeyarealsoon

If you're kids are under 10, and you like to do some charachter meals, then its possible to make the dining plan work. I'm going away for a week in April, and I could have easily made the QS meal plan, heck, even the regular meal plan work for me, had Disney not have the wacky policy of forcing 10 year olds onto the adult menu/cost structure. Paying for 4 adults pushes the cost well beyond the threshold of paying for itself - at least for me.

Thank you for these websites!!! So helpful!!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Every time a thread like this pops up, it reminds of a time when the meal plan was a pretty good deal. No more.
It certainly can be, and its a huge benefit when they offer it for free.

Now that my kids are 10, as I mentioned, its no longer a great deal. Its too bad that they arbitrarily consider 10 year olds as adults. I understand that at some point they'll no longer be selecting from the kids menu, but I think that will come closer to their teen years. Maybe boys are different but my girls don't eat much

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

Now that my kids are 10, as I mentioned, its no longer a great deal. Its too bad that they arbitrarily consider 10 year olds as adults. I understand that at some point they'll no longer be selecting from the kids menu, but I think that will come closer to their teen years. Maybe boys are different but my girls don't eat much
It can be, but you have to make it work. It is not worth it for my family when I do the math. I remember paying less than 40$ per adult per day and appetizer was included.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

My girls would just split an adult meal or we hit the buffets. They are very good about it at WDW and would even bring it out on 2 different plates. Nothing on the kids menu ever appealed to them so I know they would not eat it if it was ordered. They like more normal food and love Tusker House. My youngest, when she was 7, said they had the best couscous. LOL

Upvote 0

SDisney90

it all really depends...in the end probably not. A few months before our January trip we literally went through every menu, picked out what we would probably get and added it all up. Mind you we went through fountain drinks, refillable mug prices, snack credits, lunch and dinner options. We booked the Stay Play and Dine and actually made out by a very little margin.

It all depends on if their is a deal going on like stay play and dine, and especially what you're eating. If you're not eating somewhere like Ohana's, Boma, Crystal Palace etc with a higher dining price point, IMO it's a waste. if you're eating at a regular table service and order a burger vs the $38 steak, you strike out. The previous year we also did the dining plan, but did not make out. We paid around $100 more or so for the plan but the convenience for me was just worth it. Not having a bill to pay for after a meal, only the tip is great. Always paid cash and had brought enough for that solely.

it's all about the numbers and convenience IMO. Most likely on my next trip I will try without the dining plan and see how we make out I bet we will save a bit doing so..

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

We have a trip coming up in March and decided to do the dining plan. It came out to $63 per person per day. We ended up looking at what restaurants we wanted to eat at and the prices for food we would be interested in eating. We figured if we were going to pay $63 a day for food, then we might as well eat at restaurants that are higher priced.

I'm starting to feel that the dining plan is not so much a "deal," but more of a "treat" for your vacation. If you end up getting the dining plan, it kind of forces you to eat at the more expensive locations to make the plan worth it. For example...dinner at Akershus is $50 per person; that one meal has already eaten up a large chunk. Throw in a burger and a drink and you've already spent more than $63 just in two meals, and that does not include a snack or a dessert. In this example...the dining plan is worth it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom