Dining plan vs no plan

DisneyFans4Life

We have used the DDP twice now and both times we were happy with it. I will suggest that if you go with the DDP to make sure you book your TS meals at places that are more expensive.

When we did it, the DDP was $63/person per day, so one night we did dinner at Akershus (which I believe was like $52/person). By eating at more expensive places, it makes the DDP worth it. If you were to go somewhere and only get a $20 dinner item and then maybe a $12 lunch item, it wouldn't make sense to do the DDP.

The other nice thing is that you basically pay for all your meals up front. The only money you're left having to pay would be gratuity, since that's not included.

CaptainAmerica

We have used the DDP twice now and both times we were happy with it. I will suggest that if you go with the DDP to make sure you book your TS meals at places that are more expensive.

When we did it, the DDP was $63/person per day, so one night we did dinner at Akershus (which I believe was like $52/person). By eating at more expensive places, it makes the DDP worth it. If you were to go somewhere and only get a $20 dinner item and then maybe a $12 lunch item, it wouldn't make sense to do the DDP.
This whole thing is why, psychologically, I don't enjoy it. I don't like feeling guilty ordering a cheaper entree if the cheaper entree is what I'd prefer at that particular meal. As @sxeensweet pointed out, this whole thing works if you would generally order the more expensive options anyways, but it's more stressful than it's worth (again, IMO) if you have to force yourself to always be getting the best value.

The other nice thing is that you basically pay for all your meals up front. The only money you're left having to pay would be gratuity, since that's not included.
This particular benefit can be obtained by loading your food budget on a gift card and then using that to pay for your meals.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Oh no! I totally came across as if I were saying "DDP is for fatties" haha. That's certainly not what I was getting at, being a plus-sized American myself.

I didn't take it that way at all!! No worries! And eventhough we try to eat healthier all year we could lose some weight ourselves. lol I am maintaining where I'm at the past few years and not gaining so that's always a plus! Haha! :p

Disney4family

The dining plan is almost never worth it for someone who is on the young side of the price groups, i.e. a young "child" or an eleven year old "adult."
It is hard with the DDP when they consider children to be adults.
We always had the DDP and even tried the Deluxe. Last year was our first year we didn't get it. We used the calculator and saw that we should try TIW instead. We actually saved money with that and found it nice to be "free" from points.

DisneyFans4Life

This whole thing is why, psychologically, I don't enjoy it. I don't like feeling guilty ordering a cheaper entree if the cheaper entree is what I'd prefer at that particular meal. As @sxeensweet pointed out, this whole thing works if you would generally order the more expensive options anyways, but it's more stressful than it's worth (again, IMO) if you have to force yourself to always be getting the best value.

Yeah...thats exactly what we went through when trying to make ADRs. We did feel like we wanted to eat at more expensive places to make it worth it. We have a short trip planned for October and we won't be doing the dining plan. I'm honestly ok with eating mostly QS meals and only having a couple TS ADRs.

People just have to be careful because a place like CRT is actually two TS credits.

SAV

Having done both, it is definitely not a money savings for us. We kept track of what everything we ordered would have cost us out of pocket and it didn't save anything. In fact, I found it was too much food and I was eating food "since I have paid for it". I wasn't enjoying the food at all. I wasn't eating the good snacks I had wanted(Dole Whip Float, Choc Chip cookie ice cream sammich, giant pretzel, etc) because I was eating the desert that was given to me with the meals and drinking the Monster sized drink they give you at each meal...."because I paid for it".

I found much more freedom off of the plan than on it. I ate if I wanted, snacked if I wanted and didn't eat if I didn't want to.

The DDP has no effect on securing an ADR. It's really just a way to pay for your meals up front.

Wendy Pleakley

I've only done the dining plan when it is free. I personally wouldn't pay for it at regular price. January 2017 will likely see the return of the Play, Stay & Dine deal, but I don't know how much of a deal that is.

Comparing the cost versus what you would pay for those meals out of pocket isn't even a great comparison. If I don't have the dining plan I'd eat less table service meals and I wouldn't order dessert every time.

graphite1326

Personally I prefer the QS dining plan. I just don't like being at a certain place at a certain time. Sometimes we plan to go to a park and decide to go to a different one instead. We eat breakfast, which we brought like cereal, in our room. Then go to the park and grab a meal wherever. HOWEVER, we always have one expensive meal at a place we haven't tried before.

Noellikechristmas

I think eating at Disney is part of the fun. I also don't think people realize how busy a Disney vacation is and how wiped you're going to be after a day at the parks. You're going to want to relax as much as possible...so leave the cooking to someone else. I would still get groceries (delivered) for snacks, drinks and quick breakfast items, but that's the extent of me 'cooking' on vacation lol. As far as the dining plan goes. You'll prob save money without the plan, cause it favors in snack and desserts you may not eat.....plus, no one really needs dessert with every meal haha. I do like it because everything is pre paid and I don't have look at prices ad worry about costs while on vacation.

prfctlyximprct

For me, Disney is a worry free zone, and if I don't have to worry about money and what I'm spending (whilst there) then sign me up! I've always done the dining plan, and feel that it immerses you into that Disney bubble. I'd rather my meals be prepaid and the price tag forgotten about... There's no sticker shock when you see the bill at the end of your meal. And... I rarely ever get dessert when I'm out to eat at home, but the fact that it comes with the meal on the dining plan just makes it feel more special. Vacation is special, and I don't think I could ever forgo the dining plan.

Disney4family

We felt like that until we tried the calculator last year. When we saw how much money we would save by not using it (and how much more we would have for souvenirs :p), we just couldn't rationalize getting it.

harryk

Have done the Delux Dining Plan for years and have found it to be our best way to go on vacation. No worries or concerns about what we are spending (although the tip is not included in the plan) and we order what we want. There is no requirement to get aps or deserts, even though they may be included. The best way to wind down after a day in the parks, relax and enjoy a well prepared meal. Signature dining is our favorite and we almost never have breakfast in the parks, just a snack item from the shops at the resorts, and generally a counter service meal for lunch. Has worked out well and each visit we use all the meal points and usually have multiple snack points left over, which we give away to other guests or bring some items home with us. It is all a matter of 'taste'. We don't let the cost of meals get in the way of a great time in the 'World'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom