Dining plan vs no plan

Andy Stocker

Original Poster
I'm running the figures for my first adult trip (January 2017) and while hotel selections aren't even available yet I'm just using other "value" dates to get an idea. I've read some awesome stuff on here about making the meal plan (the regular one with one sit down is what im looking at) the most cost effective, and by the time we get there and IF that is what i decide to do, then I will probably know the cost of every food item by heart. lol

ANYWAY...From those that have done dining vs no dining...is there a feeling of being left out at all when you don't do it? Any special perks come with having it? Do you get treated differently at restaurants? Is it easier to get ADR when you have the plan? Right now I'm just looking at it like, would my vacation be more cost effective if we went grocery shopping the night before and just ate in park 3-4x total during our 5 day trip. If there are other perks (other than the refillable mug) then maybe it would tip the scale in the food plan favor.

Thanks!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Dining in itself is a huge part of our WDW vacation for me and the hubby! Lots of delicious dining options in WDW. So we would never plan to eat meals in our room or bring our own food eventhough we are now DVC and have a full kitchen in our fave to stay in 1 bed villas. We look forward to the meals we get there all year long inbetween our trips!
And we always purchase the regular dining plan and love that all our meals, snacks, and drinks for the most part are already paid for. Now we do buy extra water to bring with us in the parks etc that we keep in our fridge in the room. We usually go over the allotment of credits by a few so we pay the cheapest meals OOP.
No you do not get an advantage by having the plan to reserving dining etc. The only advantage is happens by staying onsite which allows you to book 180+10 on your 180th day prior to your trip so you get to book all days on that day. People staying offsite cannot book all in one day and have to do it day by day. And do note the refillable mug is only good at all resorts (even including ones your not staying at) not in the parks etc.
Also we have never been treated differently because we had the plan.
Getting the dining plan is s purely personal choice depending on your dining habits and such. We personally will never not pay for the dining plan because we like the whole pre paid aspect and usually do save a little as well when I have figured it out after each trip. :)

DfromATX

This July will be our first year NOT to do the dining plan, so I will let you know then. I have enjoyed the DDP (with the TS) on all previous trips. I agree with @sxeensweet that dining is part of the vacation too. I have already saved the cash of what it would cost us and I'll be experimenting to see if it's the same, more, or less not doing it.

We are still going to eat the same way as if we are doing the plan - maybe not order desserts "just because," but we are going to enjoy the same type of restaurants we always eat at. We are not the bring our own food types either.

sxeensweet

This July will be our first year NOT to do the dining plan, so I will let you know then. I have enjoyed the DDP (with the TS) on all previous trips. I agree with @sxeensweet that dining is part of the vacation too. I have already saved the cash of what it would cost us and I'll be experimenting to see if it's the same, more, or less not doing it.

Ours was always either we saved a little with the plan or at least came out even to what we paid. And we would eat all the same items whether on the plan or not and do not pick more expensive items just to get our money's worth. We like the expensive items! Haha! Also we would eat just as much without and make just as many TS reservations without so for us it's always worth it to have everything pre paid etc. But some do eat less etc and save if not on the plan. Everyone is different. :)

Bryan Slater

I'm running the figures for my first adult trip (January 2017) and while hotel selections aren't even available yet I'm just using other "value" dates to get an idea. I've read some awesome stuff on here about making the meal plan (the regular one with one sit down is what im looking at) the most cost effective, and by the time we get there and IF that is what i decide to do, then I will probably know the cost of every food item by heart. lol

ANYWAY...From those that have done dining vs no dining...is there a feeling of being left out at all when you don't do it? Any special perks come with having it? Do you get treated differently at restaurants? Is it easier to get ADR when you have the plan? Right now I'm just looking at it like, would my vacation be more cost effective if we went grocery shopping the night before and just ate in park 3-4x total during our 5 day trip. If there are other perks (other than the refillable mug) then maybe it would tip the scale in the food plan favor.

Thanks!
I've done Disney w and with out the dining plan. I myself prefer the dining plan. You get everything every body mention before me. I love to eat and bring that magical moments to my kids and by guaranteeing me a reservation at the character dining restaurants it's worth it to me. Plus you never have to worry about having to pay for food at all. If you don't use all before the end of the trip you can use them on all snacks, which allows you to bring tons of treats for family and friends.

DfromATX

Ours was always either we saved a little with the plan or at least came out even to what we paid. And we would eat all the same items whether on the plan or not and do not pick more expensive items just to get our money's worth. We like the expensive items! Haha! Also we would eat just as much without and make just as many TS reservations without so for us it's always worth it to have everything pre paid etc. But some do eat less etc and save if not on the plan. Everyone is different. :)

It'll be interesting to see what we save (or not). For the 5 of us, the DDP would have been about $1,500. (I decided not to mess with a gift card like others have suggested. I'll just charge it on a CC and pay it off when I get home.) I'm like you - we're on vacation and we like to try new places and eat good! The only things I could see us doing differently is maybe ordering water instead of soda and maybe sharing desserts instead of everyone getting one, so we might save some money there.

DfromATX

I've done Disney w and with out the dining plan. I myself prefer the dining plan. You get everything every body mention before me. I love to eat and bring that magical moments to my kids and by guaranteeing me a reservation at the character dining restaurants it's worth it to me. Plus you never have to worry about having to pay for food at all. If you don't use all before the end of the trip you can use them on all snacks, which allows you to bring tons of treats for family and friends.

I agree with you -- except don't forget, tips are not included. (Many years ago they used to be though, which was nice!)

Weather_Lady

We've done it both ways, and for my family, it's cheaper to pay out of pocket. Generally, if you: (1) want to eat at any 2-credit restaurants; (2) don't care to have dessert and a huge fountain beverage with every meal; (3) don't always want to order the most expensive entree; (4) like to substitute snacks, sides or appetizers for an entree sometimes; and/or (5) have a child aged 10 or older in your party who would rather have a kids' meal than an adult one; then the DDP is not going to save you money, and may end up costing you more.

As far as service and dining experience, it is the same quality regardless of your method of payment. :)

I find the calculator tool at distripplanner.com to be a wonderful resource in figuring out the best deal...

sxeensweet

It'll be interesting to see what we save (or not). For the 5 of us, the DDP would have been about $1,500. (I decided not to mess with a gift card like others have suggested. I'll just charge it on a CC and pay it off when I get home.) I'm like you - we're on vacation and we like to try new places and eat good! The only things I could see us doing differently is maybe ordering water instead of soda and maybe sharing desserts instead of everyone getting one, so we might save some money there.

Yeah that might save you some just doing that. And yeah I never liked the GC idea either and would probably do the same your doing. Well actually you could just charge it to your room by your magic bands and link that credit card to your room you had planned on using. That's what we do for any extras while dining like appitizers and alcohol and our tips. So easy. :)

sxeensweet

We've done it both ways, and for my family, it's cheaper to pay out of pocket. Generally, if you: (1) want to eat at any 2-credit restaurants; (2) don't care to have dessert and a huge fountain beverage with every meal; (3) don't always want to order the most expensive entree; (4) like to substitute snacks, sides or appetizers for an entree sometimes; and/or (5) have a child aged 10 or older in your party who would rather have a kids' meal than an adult one; then the DDP is not going to save you money.

I find the calculator tool at distripplanner.com to be a wonderful resources in figuring out the best deal...

We do eat at a lot of 2 credit places (love Cali Grill, Jiko, Le Cellier, Artist point, Hoop Dee Doo, have to do all of these each trip and try other new 2 credit places each trip) and 1 credits and still save or break even. We go for 2 weeks at a time and would not want to worry about paying all that OOP. We often add appitizers to our meal as well. But still enjoy all our deserts too. Lol But yes the calculator is a great tool for anyone considering it. :)

Last edited:

DfromATX

We've done it both ways, and for my family, it's cheaper to pay out of pocket. Generally, if you: (1) want to eat at any 2-credit restaurants; (2) don't care to have dessert and a huge fountain beverage with every meal; (3) don't always want to order the most expensive entree; (4) like to substitute snacks, sides or appetizers for an entree sometimes; and/or (5) have a child aged 10 or older in your party who would rather have a kids' meal than an adult one; then the DDP is not going to save you money, and may end up costing you more.

As far as service and dining experience, it is the same quality regardless of your method of payment. :)

I find the calculator tool at distripplanner.com to be a wonderful resource in figuring out the best deal...

Eating at 2-credit restaurants is one thing we never do and that calculator is what got me thinking about it - not that we wouldn't like eating at a 2-credit place, we just didn't want to "waste" a dining credit.

sxeensweet

Eating at 2-credit restaurants is one thing we never do and that calculator is what got me thinking about it.

See we love many of the signature restaurants and love the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show also so one meal easily costs us at those for just 2 people with the tip over $200 or close to it. So the dining plan saves us sticker shock knowing most of the meal was already paid for. Lol :)

DfromATX

See we love many of the signature restaurants and love the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show also so one meal easily costs us at those for 2 people with the tip over $200 or close to it. So the dining plan saves us sticker shock knowing most of the meal was already paid for. Lol :)

I know 'Ohana will cost us about $300. I don't think my husband realizes how much Disney food costs... HE may get sticker shock lol!

sxeensweet

I know 'Ohana will cost us about $300. I don't think my husband realizes how much Disney food costs... HE may get sticker shock lol!

Love 'Ohana for dinner that's a must for us each trip as well! Yeah a larger family that's a lot of sticker shock. Haha! But you won't know if you like it without the plan if you don't try it that way at least once.
Also we are eligible for Tables in Wonderland being we are DVC and AP but I have done the math of what it would save us and it just was not worth it and rather just pre pay with the dining plan. It may save us a little extra but we still keep getting the plan as that's what we prefer. :)

CaptainAmerica

The bolded is the key. Whether or not the DDP is a good value depends entirely on your eating patterns. If a table service meal (with drink and desert), a quick service meal (with drink and desert) and a snack are how you'd normally eat even if you were paying with cash, you'll save money with the dining plan. For me, it's not worth it. I usually drink tap water with meals and my wife and I usually share a desert, so to get our money's worth we'd be ordering and eating (or throwing away) a ton of food.

The dining plan is almost never worth it for someone who is on the young side of the price groups, i.e. a young "child" or an eleven year old "adult."

What do you mean? (Dare I ask? LOL)
WDWMagic blocks links to certain other websites.

sxeensweet

The bolded is the key. Whether or not the DDP is a good value depends entirely on your eating patterns. If a table service meal (with drink and desert), a quick service meal (with drink and desert) and a snack are how you'd normally eat even if you were paying with cash, you'll save money with the dining plan. For me, it's not worth it. I usually drink tap water with meals and my wife and I usually share a desert, so to get our money's worth we'd be ordering and eating (or throwing away) a ton of food.

The dining plan is almost never worth it for someone who is on the young side of the price groups, i.e. a young "child" or an eleven year old "adult."

WDWMagic blocks links to certain other websites.

We don't normalky eat like we do at Disney at home at all, but love to splurge and eat all we want while there. We try to eat healthier most of the year and love just going all out while on vacation. We look forward to it all year long and helps us eat better all year so we won't do too much damage while on vacation. Haha!
But yes agree with your points you were making. :)

CaptainAmerica

We don't normalky eat like we do at Disney at home at all, but love to splurge and eat all we want while there. We try to eat healthier most of the year and love just going all out while on vacation. We look forward to it all year long and helps us eat better all year so we won't do too much damage while on vacation. Haha!
But yes agree with your points you were making. :)
Oh no! I totally came across as if I were saying "DDP is for fatties" haha. That's certainly not what I was getting at, being a plus-sized American myself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom