Dining Plan Question-are the meals pooled?

decbysteph

Original Poster
I read somewhere that the dining plan pools the family's meals and that some people pay out of pocket for their childrens (less expensive) table service meals and then use the extra kids meals later for adult (more expensive)meals. Is this correct? Sounds like a way people are "stick'n it to the man" (or should I say, "stick'n it to the mouse"). ??

Pioneer Hall

To get the dining plan everyone in the room must be under the same package. So in order for the adults to have it they would have to have the children have it as well. The kids are also restricted to eating off the kids menu so I don't think it would work for the adults either.

decbysteph

Original Poster
We have included the dining plan in our package, but my husband and I are planning on taking a couple evenings out without our daughter (she'll be eating at a kids club which the meal is included with the child care cost), so she won't be using her alloted table dinners with us. So I'm wondering if it is really true that the meals are "pooled" so in theory we could use hers to enjoy a signature restaurant. This is what I'm reading from the 2006 unofficial guide: "Since all meals are pooled, you can pay for the kid's meal separate (i.e., out of pocket), and use their (meal allocations) for an adult meal at a two point signature restaurant instead. This makes it a much better plan." Anyone done this, or know more about it?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's technically true, however it's not "meant" to be that way. So, being stopped from doing it is always a possibility or Disney figuring out a way to track meal usage better to prevent it. In short, you can do it, but don't be surprised if now/later/tomorrow it's not possible.

DisneyBound

I agree. It can be done, and has been.

I wouldnt recommend intentionally purchasing child credits to use as adult credits though. Just as shoplifting makes things more expensive for the rest of us...I would guess that eventually, this type of usage would make dining for those who use it as intended more expensive.

Im suprised that the unofficial guide would recommend this...on the other hand, I am sure that disney knows it is happening, and if they choose not to enforce the guidelines, thats their problem.

MomofKatie

We had the DDP last fall, and the credits were pooled. At many of the non-buffet TS restaurants we went to, the 3 of us (me, DH, and DD7) would just share 2 adult meals. We had enough credits for 9 TS meals on a 7 night DDP because we shared. We never paid OOP for dinners for DD- there was so much food, we just shared the 2 appys, entrees, and desserts. None of the CMs had any problem with this- we never got hassled or questioned in any way. In fact, the CM at Pop who checked us in told us about, in his words, "maximizing the value of the DDP" by sharing or paying for the kids' meals OOP. IMO, Disney has no problem with people doing this. Believe me, if they wanted this practice stopped, it would be very easy for them to change the wording of the brochures.

decbysteph

Original Poster
Thank you Jen! I don't want to waste my daughters TS meals if she won't be with us for some of our evenings out. Or like you said, it is alot of food for some people, and if you can share you can lenthen things out a bit. I like it that the cast member said "to maximize the DDP". I hope things don't change by the time with get there in December. Thanks for sharing!!

december

new here...kids dining question

I am going to Disney World for the 1st time in July with my Mother in law and my 2 kids. My six year old daughter will be fine with chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. I'm worried about my son (who will turn 9 that week) not having enough options on the kids menus at counter service places. I'm not trying to cheat Disney out of anything! I thought about buying 4 kids meals for one meal, so he could have 2 adult meals with us-it would come out the same as him having all kids meals. Is this possible? OR since it is all pooled together, does Disney really care if he gets a $5.99 burger instead of the $3.99 "chilled chicken." I am so excited about this trip, and I don't want my kids to be disappointed by anything! I don't see how Disney keeps up with it if the meals aren't separated into kids and adults on the receipts?

This is my first post, and this site has been so helpful!

LaughingGravy

As far as limiting choices for kids meals sometimes on the DDP....when we went to Pizzafari in October '05, there was no kids meal choice for pizza.
Sorry, but that's just wrong. C'mon, have a little Pizza, whatever, but no choice with Pizza, at a place called Pizzafari, when the kids can read!?:brick:

Did I mention the name of the place?:brick:

december

Right now I'm looking for places with more substantial kid's menus. I'm planning on Cosmic Ray's my first night there (they love corn dogs). Toy Story Pizza Planet on the 2nd day - they don't seem to have a kids menu so I'm assuming they can get the cheese pizzas. I'm still debating on counter service or a Fantasmic Package that night. The 3rd day is great-breakfast at CRT and early dinner at Crystal Palace. The 4th day-breakfast at Breakfastosaurus and dinner at Rainforest Cafe (I know it hasn't gotten great reviews, but my kids are dying to eat there.) The 5th day, lunch at Epcot (I'm thinking Tangierine because they have burgers and pizza on the kids menu) and dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo Review. Then the last day we will have lunch at the resort. I hope it works out this easily! (I know I'll have to pay for Rainforest and one other meal, but this is a trip of a lifetime for us!)

The Sweetness

mousermerf said:
It's technically true, however it's not "meant" to be that way. So, being stopped from doing it is always a possibility or Disney figuring out a way to track meal usage better to prevent it. In short, you can do it, but don't be surprised if now/later/tomorrow it's not possible.

If it wasnt meant to be done, than it wouldnt be done. WDW have a good thing going. By getting $40 per day per adult for the entire stay, and keeping ppl in their rooms. This isnt cheating either, IMO. The credits are pooled for you to use as you please. Including treating a guest to dinner (a relative from Tampa for ex) If you so choose. Paying oop for kids meals is just another way to make the load you dropped for your vaca. more enjoyable. In this case, I dont even think it is wrong. WDW can change their policy if they dont like how ppl use their credits.Just sharing my opinion:zipit:

Ciciwoowoo

december said:
I am going to Disney World for the 1st time in July with my Mother in law and my 2 kids. My six year old daughter will be fine with chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. I'm worried about my son (who will turn 9 that week) not having enough options on the kids menus at counter service places. I'm not trying to cheat Disney out of anything! I thought about buying 4 kids meals for one meal, so he could have 2 adult meals with us-it would come out the same as him having all kids meals. Is this possible? OR since it is all pooled together, does Disney really care if he gets a $5.99 burger instead of the $3.99 "chilled chicken." I am so excited about this trip, and I don't want my kids to be disappointed by anything! I don't see how Disney keeps up with it if the meals aren't separated into kids and adults on the receipts?

This is my first post, and this site has been so helpful!

My son is 9 and we were able to buy him the adult meals at the quick service places (he's not nuts over chilled chicken either! He wants a hamburger!) The meals were pooled so they really had no way of knowing if he was an adult or child.

When we had our sit down meal, they would ask him his age and bring him a menu for the kids meals. That was ok with him too, though. He'd rather have a hamburger than filet mignon. :) He's a hamburger kid!

pinkrose

Ciciwoowoo said:
My son is 9 and we were able to buy him the adult meals at the quick service places (he's not nuts over chilled chicken either! He wants a hamburger!) The meals were pooled so they really had no way of knowing if he was an adult or child.

When we had our sit down meal, they would ask him his age and bring him a menu for the kids meals. That was ok with him too, though. He'd rather have a hamburger than filet mignon. :) He's a hamburger kid!
That's how my son is, only he's 11 (will be 12 by the time we go in Nov.). I've already sat down with him to look at the adult menus to see if he'll eat anything. I believe at a few places, he and I may share an adult dinner. He just won't eat that much.

shoppingnut

LaughingGravy said:
As far as limiting choices for kids meals sometimes on the DDP....when we went to Pizzafari in October '05, there was no kids meal choice for pizza.
Sorry, but that's just wrong. C'mon, have a little Pizza, whatever, but no choice with Pizza, at a place called Pizzafari, when the kids can read!?:brick:

Did I mention the name of the place?:brick:

You can get the regular size pizza for the kids there as their CS choice, I believe that is the general idea, because Pizza Planet doesn't have a kid sized pizza either.

shoppingnut

december said:
Right now Toy Story Pizza Planet on the 2nd day - they don't seem to have a kids menu so I'm assuming they can get the cheese pizzas. I'm still debating on counter service or a Fantasmic Package that night.

Yes, you can get the pizza for the kids, they serve only one size pizza for everyone.

In MGM, my favorite places are 50's Prime Time, Brown Derby & Sci Fi. The kids will probably love Sci-Fi as you sit in cars and watch b-movies while eating. The food is pretty good there, but my preference is 50's prime time.

Crystal Palace is excellent, I love the food there and getting to see the characters is awesome. CRT is excellent also.

Unfortunately Rain Forrest food is just okay and the service horrible. If you want to go there, I'd recommend going to the one by the AK park entrance as that one is less busy than the one in DTD.

december

Thanks

I haven't really heard anything good about Rainforest Cafe BUT the kids havae their hearts set on it. We are going to the one at AK. Thanks to everyone who posted about the kids being able to order adult food at counter service places. The sit downs we have booked are all buffet or preplated, so he'll be fine there. I just couldn't see eating a bacon double cheeseburger while he's eating mac and cheese! My little girl on the other hand will take the mac and cheese every time! Now if I can survive the next 9 weeks.....

I'm still debating the Fantasmic dinner package (it may be too late to book now anyway). From what I've read here if you wait until the 2nd show (10:30) you can get in ok. I'm just a little worried about keeping the kids out that late.

shoppingnut

december said:
I'm still debating the Fantasmic dinner package (it may be too late to book now anyway). From what I've read here if you wait until the 2nd show (10:30) you can get in ok. I'm just a little worried about keeping the kids out that late.

My suggestion for doing the 10:30p show would be to let everyone sleep in that morning, no crack of dawn running to the parks, this way everyone will be able to last longer in the evening.

pinkrose

december said:
I haven't really heard anything good about Rainforest Cafe BUT the kids havae their hearts set on it. We are going to the one at AK. Thanks to everyone who posted about the kids being able to order adult food at counter service places. The sit downs we have booked are all buffet or preplated, so he'll be fine there. I just couldn't see eating a bacon double cheeseburger while he's eating mac and cheese! My little girl on the other hand will take the mac and cheese every time! Now if I can survive the next 9 weeks.....

We LOVE Rainforest Cafe. We have never had bad food nor bad service at the one in AK. I know of several other people who have had all good experiences there as well.

december

That makes me feel better. My kids had heard alot about it from friends, and when I saw that there was one at Disney I immediately told them we'd go. Then I started reading the reviews here! My heart kinda sank. I'm glad to hear we may have a good experience there-I want everything to be perfect on this trip!

JimboJones123

The Sweetness said:
If it wasnt meant to be done, than it wouldnt be done. WDW have a good thing going. By getting $40 per day per adult for the entire stay, and keeping ppl in their rooms. This isnt cheating either, IMO. The credits are pooled for you to use as you please. Including treating a guest to dinner (a relative from Tampa for ex) If you so choose. Paying oop for kids meals is just another way to make the load you dropped for your vaca. more enjoyable. In this case, I dont even think it is wrong. WDW can change their policy if they dont like how ppl use their credits.Just sharing my opinion:zipit:

It's no more cheating than booking a AP pkg w/a one day pass to get the free dining. If it's something that you are able to do -- than it isn't against the rules. Besides, This just leaves more room for snacking!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom