Dining Plan or No Dining Plan....

kimberlymautz

Hi everyone! I'm heading to Disney in just TEN days! So excited, I know! I just called to put our last payment on our reservation and was told that we could go from our 30% discount to 50%! We also weren't eligible for any dining, but now we are. We can either get Quick Service for $18.99 each per day (6 days; 2 quick service meals and a snack), or Plus for $32.99 each per day (6 days; 1 table service, 1 quick service, and 1 snack).

The QS would end up being $227.88 for the two of us for the week, while the D+ would be $398.88. We don't really eat too much while we're out and about, but I love the idea of being able to stop and get a nice table service meal during our crazy days.

What do you guys think? Have you gotten the dining plan before? Was it worth it for you?

copcarguyp71

It works great for us but admittedly we have been able to take advantage of free dining on most of our travel dates but I think I would still do it simply to be sure we adhered to the budget. I go on vacation to think and or worry as little as possible so it is worth it not to have stress over meal costs or keeping track of amount spent to keep within what we planned for as a dining budget. At the end of the day it comes down to how you personally want to go about your vacation.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I'm definitely going for the QS now that I've thought it over and had boyfriend complain about how expensive food in theme parks is. Haha. He's never been to Disney, but we went to Hershey Park this summer and easily spent $30 at a QS location for just the two of us. & That was only ONCE! So it's nice that it'll all be done and over with, and that all I really have to worry about is finding breakfast foods that we can snack on in the room. :p

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

We have been using the Plus for our past few trips. Now we are using it to hit our favs and try places we have yet to sample. We will probably drop down to just the QS for our next trip. The QS would easily save money if your party was the type the WOULD order dessert anyways.

The dining plan, no matter which one you choose, includes items that would not be purchased otherwise.

This assumes no free dining. Many say they like the DDP because they "prepay" for their meals. Take a look at what it would cost to buy (only what you would REALLY buy) a TS, a QS, and a snack. Then compare to the cost per day of the DDP. If the DDP is not at least a ___%* savings, just buy Disney gift cards before your trip and use those.

*Whatever % you need to consider it a meaningful savings.

Upvote 0

SAV

We paid for the QS plan this past June and in totaling up the receipts, it didn't end up saving us anything. I felt at times I was eating so I would be able to use up the credits since I paid for them. I was getting things that I normally wouldn't get, so to me that was spending more than I really needed to.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I was looking through a few and they average out to be about $15 per meal, so it definitely makes sense for me to get it. While we may not always eat dessert, maybe I'll get lucky and I can just get something that I can save for later. :p

Upvote 0

ROE

I assume you've already decided to go for the plan reading this, we've just got back from two weeks (2 of us) and we could never have eaten as much as the dining plan offered. We shared almost every quick service lunch and dinner, when we didn't we regretted it! We wouldn't get dessert immediately but instead have a snack to share later. The only time we had individual meals was at a few table service restaurants, then we shared a starter and dessert (if we even had one).

For breakfast we had a bagel in the room (admittedly bought from the hotel shop, so already over priced) but still better value than buying one everyday from the food court. As nice as Mickey Waffles are can you eat them everyday?! :)

I didn't think the prices were too bad for what you got, quantity and quality wise (coming from UK theme parks who tend to serve real junk for real high prices).

It all depends how much you eat and unfortunately only you can guess that. There's no way we could of done table service every night (couldn't even book them!).

Snacks though were far and wide, I wouldn't of known what to spend my credits on! I also feel I would of worried about getting value out of QS and Snacks to the point I would of picked the biggest, most expensive and not the best or what I wanted.

The resort mug was the best value purchase we made, we aren't big soft drink drinkers but we used it at least 4 times a day (coming and going to/from the resort). I'm now a Minute Maid Pomegranate Lemonade addict!!

Hope this might help a little.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice. We did decide to go for the quick service plan, but I really feel like it's the best idea for us. My boyfriend and I are complete opposites when it comes to things we like, so there are very few things we would actually be okay sharing. Our friend Nick will also be with us most of the time, so I'm sure if we couldn't finish our food he'd enjoy having some. :p
I'm hoping I'll be able to find some desserts that I can save for later because then I can use my snack credits for things I can bring home.

Thanks for your help though. :)

Upvote 0

DfromATX

Hi everyone! I'm heading to Disney in just TEN days! So excited, I know! I just called to put our last payment on our reservation and was told that we could go from our 30% discount to 50%! We also weren't eligible for any dining, but now we are. We can either get Quick Service for $18.99 each per day (6 days; 2 quick service meals and a snack), or Plus for $32.99 each per day (6 days; 1 table service, 1 quick service, and 1 snack).

The QS would end up being $227.88 for the two of us for the week, while the D+ would be $398.88. We don't really eat too much while we're out and about, but I love the idea of being able to stop and get a nice table service meal during our crazy days.

What do you guys think? Have you gotten the dining plan before? Was it worth it for you?

Hopefully what I'm about to say hasn't already been said...Our family always does the dining plan. It is true, before it included tips, but now it does not. They automatically add 18% to the bill and that is what you are responsible for. However, I still like the plan - it's one less thing to worry about! To get your money's worth, I highly recommend you do your research and reserve dinner at the nicer restaurants (such as O'hana's at the Polynesian or Wolf Gang Puck's in Downtown Disney). I would avoid eating dinner in the parks, but there are good restaurants in Epcot. Also, we eat at Hollywood & Vine (buffet) in HS so we can catch Fantasmic. You will need to book reservations 6 months in advance as they do tend to fill up quickly.

Upvote 0

DfromATX

We are not using the meal plan on our upcoming trip. Its just me and my wife this time. The kids are staying with grandma (gitty up). I was thinking about adding a meal plan when we book the next trip with the kids. I was wondering if any parents on the forum felt that it was worth it/not worth it with little kids (5 and 2).

I could be wrong, but I think the dining plan is for ages 3 & up. It is a lot of food and I'm guessing your two could share and have plenty. :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Did you run the math? Even if you were staying at a value, I'm seeing $95+ per night. If you were truly being offered a 50% discount, you would be saving $47.50 per night. I believe the QS dining plan costs $34.99 per person. So on a party of 2, if you both want desert with your lunch/dinner, both want a soda with the meal, and each want a snack, then its a good deal. Mods $169+, and Deluxe $300+ per night. So 50% at a mod would save you $85, and a Deluxe would save you $150. Each of those come out ahead over the dining plan.

Upvote 0

Derrek

I'm sure this has been said already but here is what we've done in the past...

My family (three people) have never used the dining plan. Eating on-site is definitely expensive but it depends on what your accommodations are like as well as how your family eats. We would usually eat one meal (if any) on-site per day. We stay in Villas at Vacation Club resorts so we have a kitchen. We take advantage of the kitchen by shopping and Publix/Winn Dixie nearby the resort. There are also a handful of resturaunts located off-site at the "Crossroads" shopping / dining plaza just outside the main entrance of the resort.

If the off-site options are not an option for you then I would look into the meal plan. I hope this was a little helpful and I hope you have a great trip!

Upvote 0

luv

It is much easier for me to just order what I want and pay for it. I don't want to keep track of dining credits. I don't want to wonder if I can get X or Y with my plan or not.

For us, the dining plans (including "free" dining) always ended up costing more, too.

Everyone has to decide for themselves, but that's MHO.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Did you run the math? Even if you were staying at a value, I'm seeing $95+ per night. If you were truly being offered a 50% discount, you would be saving $47.50 per night. I believe the QS dining plan costs $34.99 per person. So on a party of 2, if you both want desert with your lunch/dinner, both want a soda with the meal, and each want a snack, then its a good deal. Mods $169+, and Deluxe $300+ per night. So 50% at a mod would save you $85, and a Deluxe would save you $150. Each of those come out ahead over the dining plan.

Yes, I called Disney and they told me that QS is $18.99 per person per day and the TS is $32.99. Maybe they were running a special or something because it's so close? I don't know. Haha.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom