Dining plan help

EOD K9

Original Poster
Hey gang, we have been to Disney properties over 30 times (counting WDW, DLP, DL, and DCL), so the wife and I are well versed in food at the parks. That being said, the in-laws want to do a huge family trip to include the dining plan, The wife and I don't use it as it doesn't make financial sense for us. Anywho, is it possible to have the plan with table service included and instead use TS credits for a QS meal? Thanks in advance.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Yes you can downgrade to use a QS at most places if asked, but no offense why would you want to waste a TS credit on a QS meal?? You don't have to eat at a table service restaurant every day to use your credits. Some are 2 credits so you could always not eat at a sit down on certain days and use the 2 credit places when you do.
Some of our fave 2 credit places are HDD, Le Cellier, Jiko, Cali Grill, HBD, The Boathouse (will be trying in Oct but heard all great things) , Artist Point, etc. So a few days we eat 2 QS due to all our 2 credit dining faves.
If you are taking about the deluxe plan than the credits are all interchangeable for TS/QS so you are supposed to use some on QS as well.
Regular plan has 1TS ,1QS, and 1 snack per day/night.
Deluxe plan has 3 TS/QS credits and 2 snacks per day/night.
You don't have to use them each day and can use whenever and however you want. If you want to use 10 snack credits in one day you could etc etc.
The amount of credits you get go by how many nights you are staying for your trip. So for example 7 nights/8 days you would get with the regular plan 7TS, 7QS, and 7 snacks per person per day. You can use them in any order you wish and however many you wish in any day you are there until you run out. :)

Last edited:

EOD K9

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies. It is my Wife's step dad who is paying for this trip in particular and we told him that we've never used the dining plan as it doesn't make sense for us. He is contemplating buying the QS vs the TS. We will have 2 girls at two and a half and 3 boys at 5. My brother in law has the boys. Anyways, we were talking about if getting TS makes sense as the boys are picky eaters and will that family really be able to plan that far ahead and will they want to use that much time every day for a full sit down.
Her step dad would buy the TS if you can downgrade if need be for a meal. He'd rather not buy a QS if it turns out people spontaneously want to have a full sit down.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Her step dad would buy the TS if you can downgrade if need be for a meal. He'd rather not buy a QS if it turns out people spontaneously want to have a full sit down.
With a large family group, it will be difficult to "spontaneously" have a full sit down meal without an ADR. Even if the group splits into smaller parties, walking up to a table service restaurant without a reservation may not be possible depending on time of year. Therefore the regular dining plan would be a huge waste of money if you don't plan ahead for a few table service meals.

sxeensweet

Also all TS restaurants have a kids menu with basic favorites for the kiddos if they are picky eaters as I'm sure you know already. I never heard family members with kids having problems with them finding something they like on the menu and enjoyed most of the TS places that they had booked also. Just look at the menus on here or allears.net. And agree with others it will be very hard to "spontaneously" do a TS service restaurant for 2 in the parks much less a large group like yours. Lots of restaurants kids absolutely love that are on property.
It's all what's best for your family but I think QS for the entire trip in my opinion would get old. We love many QS places but also love many TS restaurants as well. We do a good mix. We personally think the most of the TS restaurants themselves at WDW are an attraction in itself.
Best of luck deciding,and bottom line it's what all of you want, not us providing advice. HaHa! I hope you all have a wonderful trip!! :)

Last edited:

Bairstow

My advice is to make another attempt at explaining to your brother-in-law that he's going to be losing money and flexibility on the dining plan.

jackson2005

With that many children I would be looking at some buffets, o'hana's, crystal palace, chef Mickey, 1900 park fare etc. kids have a lot of choices and I think they can handle large groups better. But you have to do advance reservations.
And a good character place also entertains the kids!

EOD K9

Original Poster
As the resident expert in the family on most things Disney, I've given my input. They want to go on Thanksgiving. I don't really think that is the greatest idea to take my nephews on their first trip and expect to hit everything. My wife's brother really doesn't even think about plans for next week, let alone 180 days out. Great guy, but it is hard to get decisions out of them. Which is why I am dreading meal time. Luckily, my wife and I know what works for us and can go with the flow if need be.

matt9112

As the resident expert in the family on most things Disney, I've given my input. They want to go on Thanksgiving. I don't really think that is the greatest idea to take my nephews on their first trip and expect to hit everything. My wife's brother really doesn't even think about plans for next week, let alone 180 days out. Great guy, but it is hard to get decisions out of them. Which is why I am dreading meal time. Luckily, my wife and I know what works for us and can go with the flow if need be.

i hate the busy times myself. as long as you plan 180 out on your ADRs and your fastpass + when that unlocks you should still have a great time. we do the DDP because we always go for free dining ourselves. side note you might have trouble with that large group even with ADRs the best TS fills up so fast its not even funny...

sxeensweet

Yes I think you all will be fine, and don't stress as I'm sure you still will have a wonderful time!! We personally also
try to avoid the really busy times but like others noted if you do the reservations you do want at 180 days and also FP+ at 60 you should be fine. I would have advised against Thanksgiving too but you can always tell him you told him so after the trip if he complains about the crowds and not being able to do all they wanted etc etc! Haha! :joyfull:

catmom46

Yes I think you all will be fine, and don't stress as I'm sure you still will have a wonderful time!! We personally also
try to avoid the really busy times but like others noted if you do the reservations you do want at 180 days and also FP+ at 60 you should be fine. I would have advised against Thanksgiving too but you can always tell him you told him so after the trip if he complains about the crowds and not being able to do all they wanted etc etc! Haha! :joyfull:

Actually, our last trip was over Thanksgiving 4 years ago and it didn't seem too busy to me. Or at least not any busier than our trip last month, which wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Or maybe I just have a high tolerance for crowds. :D

EricaLee78

I go to Disney annually with my parents, sister and her family. There are 7 of us total. My sister is the biggest non-planner there is. She can't plan more than a day ahead. However, what works well for us is that I plan everything. I make all of our ADR's & FP reservations and just tell them what we are doing. It works well for us. If you think your family might be ok with you doing the planning, that is always an option. I would highly recommend getting any ADR's you may want and FP booked in advance. It will help to eliminate stress from a busy park. Good luck!

Tinkfriend37

I too am the family planner. The hardest thing for me is when the family doesn't like the plans I have. But thst doesn't happen often. I think getting a designated trip planner would be a great idea.

agorna

hey guys I have a question in regards to the dining plan as well. My trip is coming up in 30 days, I've been going to Disney at least once a year for the past ten years but this is my first time with the dining plan so I don't know the ins and outs.

For quick service meals, especially during busy times, I like to go find a table for my husband and I and leave him to order/pay for food. Since we are using the dining plan this going around, is that going to be possible or do the cashiers have to scan both of our bands to deduct both of our credits?

Thanks !

sxeensweet

hey guys I have a question in regards to the dining plan as well. My trip is coming up in 30 days, I've been going to Disney at least once a year for the past ten years but this is my first time with the dining plan so I don't know the ins and outs.

For quick service meals, especially during busy times, I like to go find a table for my husband and I and leave him to order/pay for food. Since we are using the dining plan this going around, is that going to be possible or do the cashiers have to scan both of our bands to deduct both of our credits?

Thanks !
No they only need one persons band that is on the package/room. So you can still do that like normal to grab a table, etc. My DH always does his band and I have never had to scan mine or even be with him. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom