Dining plan changes to KILL Free Dining???

meatloafsfan

I for one would be thrilled if the DDP was discontinued in its entirety.

We dropped $130 eating at Fulton's, and I've had better seafood at Red Lobster for less than half the price. I will never go back to Fulton's... and it used to be good, years ago. And yet even with the bad food it has now, it was swarmed with people vying to use their table service credits, crowded into that tiny lobby, clamoring for tables when they had no advance reservations. Crazy.

Fulton's does not (and for the record has never) participated in the Magic Your Way Plus Dining (commonly referred to as the Disney Dining Plan - DDP).

But, thanks for coming out today, we have some lovely parting gifts for you....:brick:

Rowena

Fulton's does not (and for the record has never) participated in the Magic Your Way Plus Dining (commonly referred to as the Disney Dining Plan - DDP).

But, thanks for coming out today, we have some lovely parting gifts for you....:brick:

Yes, I am aware of it. The point I was making that was because they had no ADRs anywhere, and every restaurant that takes the credits in DTD was booked with 2-3 hour walk-up waits that evening, they were headed to Fulton's in order get something, ANYTHING, to eat. Whilst standing beside the check-in desk after dinner waiting on some family who were using the men's restroom there, I watched half a dozen groups attempt to get in and use table service credits at Fulton's. Most of them went ahead and got on the wait list to pay for their dinner, when they were told they could not use credits.

But my main point was that the quality of food at Fulton's has really gone downhill. Nor is my family the only one to think so - go read the reviews of Fulton's on AllEarsNet. I don't know what happened but they have changed drastically in the last few years, and not for the better. I wish I'd been aware of those reviews before we stopped there to eat - we would not have gone, because our experience there matched up to the others' exactly.

Whilst standing beside the check-in desk after dinner waiting on some family who were using the men's restroom there, I watched half a dozen groups attempt to get in and use table service credits at Fulton's. Most of them went ahead and got on the wait list to pay for their dinner, when they were told they could not use credits.

Like it or not... the DDP has had a negative impact overall on the dining experience at WDW. Menus are shorter, food is not as good, waits are MUCH longer, even with ADRs. Amongst 8 ADRs last week we were only seated within 5 minutes of the ADR time twice. The longest wait was 45 minutes past the seating time.

As for folks arguing that you should be able to stretch your table service credits out by plate sharing... it IS one of the things that leads to the extreme overcrowding and the 180 day reservation requirement. And whether or not Disney ever changes it - while I personally think they should- at the least they should charge a plating fee, as many good restaurants do for sharing. At any rate, cutting down on the food quantities will help alleviate the desire to share.

Beyond that are the ones you see taking extra food from the buffets and wrapping it up in bags and napkins, then stashing it in their bags, but that's a whole different problem that's far more difficult for the management to effectively prevent, I'd guess. I cannot see them attempting to dislodge packets of food from people on the way out the door, and assume they factor the loss into the cost we all pay.

Someone else up the thread a bit commented on the increased noise and general chaos in the restaurants now, and that's true too.

Sorry you dislike my feelings about the DDP's impact on the dining experience, but I am entirely entitled to have my opinion about it, as are you. Dining at Disney is nothing like it was 5 years ago for my family. We honeymooned at Disney a decade ago, and I have such fond memories of quiet, romantic dinners in EPCOT World Showcase and DTD restaurants, absolutely fantastic food, and sublime service.

It isn't like that anymore, and that's unfortunate. I'm sure it works for some people as it is now - clearly it does, or they wouldn't be using it. But Disney has changed their standards in this area, and it simply means that some peoples' dollars won't come their way anymore, while others' will. At least every August and September. :animwink:

If you love WDW Dining the way it is now, more power to you. :) We're actually looking forward to discovering some of the fine dining offsite. :)

coulty

I have just booked for Sept 08 and have the free DDP. I never expected the Gratuity to be included, but I have read that for groups of over 6 (used to be 8)18% will automatically be added to the bill. I would normally tip about 20%. When the gratuity is added to the bill, are you expected to give any more in tips. I understand that waiting staff in the US appear to earn a lot less than they do in the UK. I think the minimum wage here is about £5.35 ph about $8 or $9, so although most people do leave tips of about 15% its not such an important thing.

Every time I go to the US I get completely confused by the tipping procedure. I would be really grateful if somebody could clarify it for me. Some travel guides say 15% others say 20%. Some places add it to the bill and others don't. Help!!:veryconfu Sharon

am going to wdw in january and was surprised to read that for groups of 6(or8)they add 18% to your bill. is this just for the dining plan or for everybody.i wouldnt be very happy about being charged this then having to tip as well.

DisneyJoe

am going to wdw in january and was surprised to read that for groups of 6(or8)they add 18% to your bill. is this just for the dining plan or for everybody.i wouldnt be very happy about being charged this then having to tip as well.

This is for everyone - and the 18% IS your tip.

coulty

This is for everyone - and the 18% IS your tip.

we will not be on a dining plan ,is this just because we will be 4 adults and 4 children this time and they automatically charge you for larger groups, or could we go in as 2 families of 4 which is what we are and tip as usual.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, its the American way. If you eat as a group at the Hard Rock cafes in this country they do it too.

Its the only place Ive seen it.

DisneyJoe

we will not be on a dining plan ,is this just because we will be 4 adults and 4 children this time and they automatically charge you for larger groups, or could we go in as 2 families of 4 which is what we are and tip as usual.

Once you hit the magic number of 6 or 8 you become a group and they automatically charge the 18% tip.

If you went as 2 families of 4 you would need to make 2 separate reservations, and would not be guaranteed to sit together.

mary219

Most restaurants around here(especially the chains-applebees and tgif,etc) automatically add gratuities when you have a party of 8 or more-it will tell you right on the menu,so its not that uncommon

mary219

"What I found most surprising was MOST people we talked to (which were alot when you have a smoker in the group :eek:) we're not on the free dinning promotion"

This is also true,more often than not,the people we spoke to were not even aware of the free dining promotion.Some were on the ddp and some weren't,but all were interested in what it was.Lucky for these families they ran onto my cheapskate family, so we could let them know about it and they can come and ruin disney for the rest of the world that never takes any type of promotion and pays full price for their rooms,tickets and food.not like us bottom feeders who actually took the disney promotion and :eek:saved money for our families,perhaps to use on another disney vacation.shocking!

Lucky

Yes, Disney is going downhill, by encouraging families with kids and people with modest incomes to go to its restaurants. Isn't Disney just supposed to be for adults and rich people?

bears163

Don't count on it. Early brochures for the plan last year also did not list many of the World Showcase restauraunts. But they all added later on. I've seen it mentioned somewhere several times that this probably has to do with the timing of contracts, etc.

i can second that. i remember last year when it first came out & there were alot of places off the list but by the end if the year they were all back on.

coulty

Yes, Disney is going downhill, by encouraging families with kids and people with modest incomes to go to its restaurants. Isn't Disney just supposed to be for adults and rich people?

now i know youre only joking(i hope) i have stayed in wdw 3 times and had never heard of the ddp util this year or the free ddp .from what i have seen on here what is quite a good idea seems to have created some problems for some people.when we have been in the past we never had trouble getting to eat without booking months in advance and i wouldnt want to have to run our holiday in such way,we are coming over in jan 08 with 4 boys aged 4-12 and woulldnt want to inflict them on other diners in posher places,i wouldnt like that myself if i was paying a lot of money for my meal.so i understand that the free ddp can cause problems. DONT WORRY FOLKS WE AND OUR BROOD WILL BE IN THE CHEAPER PLACES.

lilclerk

That seems pretty standard even in non-Disney restaurants. If your party is 8 or more, they automatically add 18% gratuity to the bill. It always says it's optional, though, at least around here.

Lucky

now i know youre only joking(i hope) i have stayed in wdw 3 times and had never heard of the ddp util this year or the free ddp .from what i have seen on here what is quite a good idea seems to have created some problems for some people.when we have been in the past we never had trouble getting to eat without booking months in advance and i wouldnt want to have to run our holiday in such way,we are coming over in jan 08 with 4 boys aged 4-12 and woulldnt want to inflict them on other diners in posher places,i wouldnt like that myself if i was paying a lot of money for my meal.so i understand that the free ddp can cause problems. DONT WORRY FOLKS WE AND OUR BROOD WILL BE IN THE CHEAPER PLACES.
Yes, good point. Some of the restaurants are designed for adults, and we avoid those. The one place we went to this trip that might be considered an "adult" restaurant was Le Cellier, and our kids were as quiet and well behaved as anybody there. (It's worth mentioning that many adults are loud or otherwise not-so-well-behaved in public places.)

coulty

i just gave myself a very nasty fright by working out how much it would cost for us to have the.ddp in january,for 6 adults(the 10year and 12year old)would be be adults even though they wouldnt be able to eat it all, it would cost us just over $5000 i need to lie down.

lilclerk

i just gave myself a very nasty fright by working out how much it would cost for us to have the.ddp in january,for 6 adults(the 10year and 12year old)would be be adults even though they wouldnt be able to eat it all, it would cost us just over $5000 i need to lie down.

You can definitely eat a LOT cheaper without the DDP, especially with all the changes next year.

DisneyJoe

$37.99 x 6 = $227.94 per night

At that rate, you will be there 21 or 22 nights?

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
$37.99 x 6 = $227.94 per night

At that rate, you will be there 21 or 22 nights?

Most likely. Its not uncommon for families from the UK to stay 3 weeks at WDW. It helps them make the most of the cost of the transatlantic flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom