dining debate

NashvilleMouse

I think WDW has some great dining options at EPCOT and maybe Downtown Disney. I am not too impressed with options at MK, AK, and MGM has some nice spots. Some of the nicer dinners are at the resorts too. WDW, hands down. Can't beat the fish and chips at UK! :slurp:

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think all venues have some excellent dining experiences. To be fair you cant really compare like for like, especially as City Walks is predominantly burgers and fries type fare.

That said we always have at least one visit to the Hard Rock, and last year as we stayed at Universal resort we tried Margaritaville which was excellent and Pastamore which was good also.

Lets face it the greatest choice in a single location is Epcot, perhaps a little pricey but generally good enough in quality and service.

DTD is similar to City Walks as both are franchises of major chainsand its dependant on the owners for price and menu choice. and after all every place can have an off day.

Upvote 0

StevenT

City Walk has its fine spots, Margaritaville, Emeril's and I'm sure the Bob Marley place is pretty good. But it also has it's bad spots. The NASCAR Cafe was expensive for the crappiest burgers I've ever had.

WDW beats Universal hands down though. at EPCOT you have some great choices. I personally like the Teppenyaki Dining Room in Japan :D . If you just compare the "Downtown" areas City Walk and Downtown Disney, Disney still wins. You've got some great spots, like Wolfgang Puck's, Bongo's and I've heard the HOB restaurant is really good. For atmosphere it's hard to beat the Rainforest Cafe. Plus once you're done eating what could be better than spending countless hours in the Virgin Megastore?

Upvote 0

mickey merrills

Have to agree that Margaritaville's is worth the trip to City Walk, the "boat drinks" alone are enough to satisfy "parrot heads" of the young and old variety (as my sons are huge fans of their non-alcoholic variety).

Wolfgang Puck's is the best bet in DTD! The pizzas are great and the sushi is awesome.

Upvote 0

vilegirl

I went to WDW in November and Universal in December. Personally, just for selection alone, WDW wins hands-down. I guess City Walk is a bit like Downtown Disney if you want to compare those two. I enjoyed several of the restaurants at City Walk, but regardless...nothing compares to Disney in my opinion. And honestly, I didn't really think Universal or Islands of Adventure had good food choices. I will agree that AK is a bit slim on selection, but I think MK and MGM are pretty good and Epcot is wonderful!

Upvote 0

Daannzzz

I stayed at Portofino Bay Hotel last year. I looked up the list of restaurants at CityWalk and found there wasn't one I was mildly interested in. I ate at Mam Della's at the Portofino Bay and it was very good. At WDW there are loads of places I love to eat but to make it a fair comparison there are not many places of interest for me at Downtown Disney either. I liked Planet Hollywood and the Rainforest Cafe. I would like to try House of Blues sometime.

Upvote 0

sotoalf

WDW, no contest. There's something corporate, obscene, and grotesque about Margaritaville, Hard Rock - you can get that cookie-cutter fare anywhere in the USA (although, to be fair, Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe are just as awful).

If you stay away from pasta and burgers, WDW offers some of the best dining in Florida. I'm thinking specificaly of Citricos or Californira Grill or Flying Fish. These restaurants employ chefs who create daily specials prepared with the freshest ingredients. Citywalk offers nothing comparable.

Having said that, I've eaten lousy food at Epcot and MK too, so Disney is far from perfect.

Upvote 0

Slosh

at Downtown Disney, House of Blues is good. Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe are the same everywhere you go; pricey and mediocre at best. And Bongos was pretty boring. Nice decor though.

Citywalk, Emeril's is great if incredibly expensive, Margaritaville is a must see, and Hard Rock is the same as everywhere else except this one has a huge indoor concert venue and a hotel. Haven't made it to much else yet.

As far as in the parks goes, pretty much just burgers everywhere you go except for Epcot's trememdous selection and maybe 2 or 3 places at MK and MGM. Universal's parks are mostly just fast food except for Mythos at IOA. That's actually a pretty high caliber table service restaurant.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom