Digital Camera's and Disney

joshwill

I domt use rechargable batteries as I've found they don't last as long in the camera as non rechargable ones, eventhough I go thru a lot of them in a trip.

One thing I'd like to ask, does anyone know if there's anyplace in the parks that will take used batteries for recycling? I know disney is big into it and I would prefer that over tossing them in with the regular garbage.

Pioneer Hall

My Canon S1 IS worked very well this past trip. If you are willing to spend more they have the S2 IS now as well which will get you better results.

Mori Anne

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I appologize for posting this in the wrong area. Thanks for fixing it :)

Wow, I have lots of research to do. I was looking at the canon a620 because of all the features on it, yet it is suppose to be a great point and shoot camera as well. With all the various lighting situations at disney it is good to have one that can perform well with all conditions..... I will take all your suggestions when I purchase my digital camera. Thank you for all of your quick and detailed posts, and thank you for making me feel welcomed.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Nikon Coolpix 5700 ( it was bought after my 35mm Pentax died during its last trip to WDW ) and the digital has still to be used at Disney

JarettK

joshwill said:
I domt use rechargable batteries as I've found they don't last as long in the camera as non rechargable ones, eventhough I go thru a lot of them in a trip.

One thing I'd like to ask, does anyone know if there's anyplace in the parks that will take used batteries for recycling? I know disney is big into it and I would prefer that over tossing them in with the regular garbage.

NiMH (Nickel-Metal Hydride) will easily outlast Alkaline batteries by 2x or 3x or longer. The problem is, when they run out of juice, they do it hard, no gradual decline in power like alkaline. The key to NIMH is buying the higher power models, which almost all are nowdays. A set of 1800-2400 mAh AA batteries will give you hundreds of pictures.

Also, if you recharge NIMH them 250-500 or more times, you just saved the landfill 100 pounds of batteries, and more than 3 pounds of mercury (possibly mroe depending on which batteries you use) that you would have used in Alkaline.

I can get anywhere from 250 - 1000 out of a full charged set of 4 NIMH AA in my DSLR camera. More without flash, less with :p

Battery Shootout (comparisons and info):
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

Quote from the article:
The final discovery came as no surprise at all: In digicam usage, even so-called "high capacity" disposable alkaline cells are pretty worthless. (Although a number of recent digital camera models do sip power pretty sparingly, at least compared to most older models.) You could easily spend the equivalent of a set of high-capacity NiMH rechargeables and good-quality charger in just a few weeks of use with disposable alkaline batteries.

You pay more for the batteries, about $15.00 or less for a really good set of NIMH, but after 3 charges they pay for themself. After 5 charges they pay for the recharger too... after 6 charges, you start to wonder why you ever bought alkaline in the past!

I recommend this charger, it has a 100minute quick charge COOL mode, which will make rechargables last much longer. Thomas Distributing also has really good prices! 8-10$ for 2300mAh battery 4packs.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

KeithVH

Send me a PM with your regular email and I'll send you some sample shots from our trip this week from a new Canon A610. Just got back yesterday from an 8 day trip. I even have some video with it. At ~$210 in many places, there really isn't a better camera for you dollar except for maybe a Fuji F10 (which does have better high ISO/low light capability). Unless you're going to go the DSLR route, there WILL be some trade-offs versus some expectation setting.

Most people, in the days when film was king, rarely took shots at night w/o flash. Digital makes you think you can get night shots all the time. Not really. The slow shutter speed really detracts in many cases. And most of the cameras in your probable price range have poor flash performance. The biggest drawback of the 6x0 is their lack of good redeye reduction.

For daytime snaps, almost any $200-400 camera nowadays will take fine pics. The nicest thing about the 6x0 is the flip screen and AA's. Full manual control and custom settings are great too.

As far as memory, figure at least two 512mb cards. Although, with a 6x0, recording a complete Wishes show would require somewhere around 3+gb (all on one card).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom