Differences between the DVC Resale sites

rawisericho

Original Poster
Hi all, my wife and I are thinking of buying DVC resale (the almost 50% we’d save is more enticing than the dwindling member perks, or an annual pass we’d never buy). We’re looking at an aggregator across sites to what what the best deal is and there are multiple sites you can buy through. I know that David’s and DVCResale are reputable but I’ve seen better price per point at other sites. Any thoughts on other brokers like “A Timeshare” or “Selling Time Shares” are these ones fine to buy thorough? Anyone have any advice?

i<3riviera

I've been looking into this as well and my hypothesis is that there are several sites (most of them having time share in them) that scan other sites for their listings and represent those listing as their own so that the site appears to have a lot of listings; I think they also have some of their own listings, potentially the ones you're finding are the lowest priced

I've also read that some of the sites charge the buyer fees above and beyond normal closing costs (hard to say, many of those sites are not transparent on fees) which is potentially how they are generating revenue; one site in particular (forget which one) supposedly pushes buyers to use a specific title company that has a significant markup relative to other title companies that process DVC purchases (it was claimed that title company had some relationship with the site)

personally, I avoid those sites when I compile listings because the lack of transparency around fees, confusing nature of the websites, and the large number of listings that I question; the other ten more DVC focused sites have, at any given moment, 300-400 active listings

you can still pursue any deal you find no matter the site; but if it wasn't on one of the DVC specialty sites, you should ask lots of questions and get costs and fees in writing so you can do a true equivalent comparison

Phonedave

Title Insurance premiums in Florida are regulated and published.

Other fees may change, but your cost for title insurance (which is what a title agency provides) is set.

As for where to buy, it is like buying a house. The time share can be listed with either an agency, or for sale by owner.

Most buyers do not have a real estate agent when buying a time share, but the concept is the same. If you are buying from a listing agent, then the owner is getting some of the money and the agent gets the remainder. The agent provides services in exchange for this fee.

When you find a contract that you like, buy from that agent (or direct from the owner if you happen to come across one of those). There will be closing costs, but those should be disclosed up front.

The_Jobu

If you find a good price, check with the forum specifically about that renter and they can give good advice.

I rented from DVCrentalstore in 2016 for a great price and great service. I tried again in 2018 but there was no availability for anything 5 months out. Now I'm looking again and the prices seem way up, even the confirmed rental discounts are close to rack rates. Maybe the rental party is over? Maybe I just haven't found a good site.?

aliceismad

If you find a good price, check with the forum specifically about that renter and they can give good advice.

I rented from DVCrentalstore in 2016 for a great price and great service. I tried again in 2018 but there was no availability for anything 5 months out. Now I'm looking again and the prices seem way up, even the confirmed rental discounts are close to rack rates. Maybe the rental party is over? Maybe I just haven't found a good site.?
Buying DVC through resale and renting others' points are very different experiences. Are you looking for info on renting points?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

The problem is the site. They raised prices like crazy last year but dvcrequest.com and dvcstore.com do rentals for much less and both have been around for many years.

The_Jobu

The problem is the site. They raised prices like crazy last year but dvcrequest.com and dvcstore.com do rentals for much less and both have been around for many years.

Hmmmm... thanks for tip! Rental prices have indeed gone up, I'll check these sites.

aliceismad

I think both the sites are at $19-20 per point for rentals, depending on the resort and how far in advance you book. I think DVCrequest was at $17 a point when I rented in 2017.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I think both the sites are at $19-20 per point for rentals, depending on the resort and how far in advance you book. I think DVCrequest was at $17 a point when I rented in 2017.
DVCStore starts at $18.50. DVCRentalStore prices vary based on the resort and time of year, and they charge as much as $29/point for VGF (they never tell you what they’re charging, you have to do the math);they are more expensive than rack rate cash via Disney for 1 Bedroom rentals with some regularity.

The pricing you quote is right for David’s. We paid $16/point for AKV in 2018 for a 2019 rental; things have gone a little bananas.

aliceismad

DVCStore starts at $18.50. DVCRentalStore prices vary based on the resort and time of year, and they charge as much as $29/point for VGF (they never tell you what they’re charging, you have to do the math);they are more expensive than rack rate cash via Disney for 1 Bedroom rentals with some regularity.

The pricing you quote is right for David’s. We paid $16/point for AKV in 2018 for a 2019 rental; things have gone a little bananas.
Wow. That's crazy. I've never priced a 1 bedroom and had no idea. We've compared our rentals to rack rates for our 2017 and 2019 trips and gotten DVC studios for close to the same as a Moderate. I'll have to keep an eye on it for the future. We're talking about a 2022 trip now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom