Differences between resort levels

Doofenshmirtz

Original Poster
I've read about some of the general differences in amenities online (room service vs. just pizza delivery or full restaurant vs. food court), but I was wondering if there were other differences that you'd really only understand by having stayed at the different resorts. I've stayed in one deluxe and one value. The deluxe (Contemporary) was almost 14 years ago so I honestly don't remember enough about it. The most recent stay, last May, was at Pop with my girls and we loved it. I have visited Wilderness Lodge and The Contemporary on another visit (stayed off-site) and just love the grounds, but beyond that I don't know much first hand.

So, what types of differences can you sense/feel between the different levels (value, moderate, deluxe, villas) resorts?

mickeysbrother

The deluxe resorts compared to the basic you can tell right away. The grounds are pristine in deluxe. Placement of deluxe to amenities are much better i find also.

For me staying at the all stars does the job. Dont get me wrong i would love to stay at a deluxe but im never in my room. for me deluxe is a waste of money. I dont use the pools maybe once in my week vacation. Dont sit down and eat. I live in montreal and we have 5 star dining everywhere we turn so thats not a huge issue to me.

The whole ambiance of a deluxe resort you can just tell. Its cleaner crisper and maintenance is usually top notch compared to letting things go a little longer then usual.

Violet

We go deluxe solely for the location, and we only pick the ones that are easily walkable to a park (for medical reasons). We stayed at the CR last year and now this year we are going a split stay at BC and CR. So we'll see Epcot/DHS from BC and then MK from the CR later in the week. We also like having an option for room service for breakfast before hitting rope drop, which I think you can only get at a deluxe :)

BoarderPhreak

Theming.

That's not to say Pop isn't themed; but it's... Gaudy. Moderate is themed in a nicer manner, more coherently, etc. But it still feels a bit "hotel-ish" to varying degrees. Deluxe just takes it to the hilt. Full immersion in the setting, no expense spared. You really feel like you're in the setting. Room size and luxury vary a good deal through the tiers.

All Disney resorts are pristine. They all have parking (some valet), pools (some more than others), etc.

Amenities also vary a bit as far as dining and shopping. All resorts generally have quick service and a general store. This is Disney, after all... But as you scale up, you get better dining options - table service and signature dining.

Finally, location. The better resorts tend to be closer to MK and EC. This is not a rule per se; consider AKL by AK - which is an incredible resort. But MK is the big ticket park and most deluxe resorts are in the vicinity (CR, PR, GF) and even have monorail/walking access - and EC which has the BI/BC/YC complex (along with the Swalphin).

luv

Deluxe, like you mentioned, has amenities - bellman, valet parking, room service, etc. and they are the prettiest. Rooms are bigger, too.

Values and mods are really both motels. The Values are decorated the way a Kindergartener might decorate - a little garish and nerve jangling. The Mods are a little calmer, more restful, prettier (rooms, too, except CBR, which are cartoony). The mods also have the slightly larger rooms...but when the rooms are that small, every little bit helps!

It is just so much more relaxing to come back to a calmer place at the end of a long day in the parks. You relax a little more. You feel some of the stress ease. Those Values are just more of an attack on your senses, lol.

When I choose Deluxe, I'm choosing it because I'm drawn to what it has. When I choose mod, I do it because I don't want to deal with Value.

The grounds at the Mods are really nice to walk. Best of any, IMO. I sometimes go there just to walk and almost never go to Deluxes to do that. :)

I will tell you what you don't get in Deluxes. You don't get nicer staff (except the Bellmen and room service staff, whose living depends on niceness...and usually the valet guys) and you don't get better housekeeping. So, for all the people who can't afford to stay there, you aren't missing out on that account.

(I pointed out that the CBR rooms are childishly decorated, but the grounds are wonderful. Well landscaped, good paint jobs...couldn't be happier with the place itself! It's just those rooms!)

eta: I do not take the bus and base none of my decisions on busses, bus stops, etc.

copcarguyp71

Coronado we have found to be a nice compromise between Mods and Deluxes. This resort kind of goes beyond the rest of the mods but does not come up to the deluxe level either. They have actual doors instead of curtains between the bedroom and bathroom, have nicer toiletries, resort is beautiful and the dining options are great! Pool area is excellent for both kids and adults and second to Stormalong Bay is the best pool on property IMO. For the first time we find ourselves doing a resort a second time in a row this year after staying there last year and that is totally uncharacteristic for us.

EDIT: CSR also does not share any busses with other resorts....a big plus for a mod!

bethymouse

I have enjoyed all levels, and am spoiled by the deluxe!;) The indoor corridors is what I like best!:) Transportation is better @ a deluxe, especially monorail resorts of course ( more convenient).;) The values have a more of a "motel" feel to them. The moderates actually do a great job w/ the grounds and having a table service restaurant on site. My boys love the pool slides the best!;)

Mot

When at WDW, my family uses the rooms for strictly for sleeping and showering. The values give you just that. My family really enjoys the cartoonish decorations of the resorts, it really adds to the experience. As for five star service I might want it if I were stuck in the resort with nowhere to go but that is never the case when visiting WDW. Moderates do have a bit larger room, a bit better pool, and a sit down restaurant. As for the Deluxe, I'm sorry to say we have never considered. Whichever way you go, you won't go wrong, it's WDW for goodness sakes. Have a great trip.

DisneyDebNJ

I have enjoyed all levels, and am spoiled by the deluxe!;) The indoor corridors is what I like best!:) Transportation is better @ a deluxe, especially monorail resorts of course ( more convenient).;) The values have a more of a "motel" feel to them. The moderates actually do a great job w/ the grounds and having a table service restaurant on site. My boys love the pool slides the best!;)
I agree Beth. We love the deluxes for the same reasons, larger and nicer beds, nicer rooms, but especially for transportation options. We stayed at Coronado Springs one year when we planned a second impromptu trip that year, and I have to say, although I missed the monorail resorts, we really had a pretty good time!! The biggest difference, was definately the transportation

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We've stayed at both deluxe and value, and enjoyed both. It really depends on what type of trip we're taking. There are times when we do a quick/cheap trip and all we care about is being in the parks. During those trips a value is perfectly fine. But we also like to do a longer trip from time to time, during which we plan on spending more time just hanging out at the resort and pools. For those trips we love the deluxe resorts.

The deluxe resorts tend to be much smaller and less spread out, so less walking to buses, etc. Also the pools are much nicer, and the dining is top notch. The rooms aren't really what you would expect for the price you pay at deluxe, but you're paying for proximity to the parks, etc.

Pooh Lover

I agree with both @bethymouse and @DisneyDebNJ. Transportation is a large reason why we stay at the WL over a moderate. We also like the indoor corridors and usually a shorter walking distance from the bus stop to your room. After a long, long WDW day, my feet are ready to be put to bed sooner rather than later. There is usually one or more sit down restaurants at a moderate and deluxe resort. Theming is usually better at a moderate and even better at a deluxe.

JTT

Deluxe resorts are hotels. Doors open inside to a hallway and your room has a balcony or view. Deluxe have nicer accommodations throughout; beds, linens, decorations, lighting. The location, transportation and restaurants are better.
Moderates and Values are motels but still themed well.
The location and transportation is better with the moderate. The pools are a little better, the restaurants, transportation beds, linens, decorations and lighting are better at the moderates.
If I can afford a Deluxe I stay there for location. I love being on the monorail.
I just stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter and loved it.
I have also stayed at the Pop Century and it was good.

RonAnnArbor

For all intents and purposes, unless you main goal is to spend your time in sitdown dining restaurants inside your hotel every night, there isn't much of a difference for all intents and purposes between Deluxe and Moderate -- but there is a big difference between the former two and the Values...

Yes there are some amenity differences...mostly you have two options to get to at least one of the parks other than the Bus (except for AKL), like boats or monorail. Not enough to make a difference -- and in fact, the boats are slower than the busses to get where you are going.

Personally, having stayed at almost every Deluxe and Moderate resort, I now exclusively stay at POFQ since it is the same size as a Deluxe, and it has great transportation to the parks, and the boat down to DTD...plus its quieter and relaxing.

GenerationX

We've stayed at all three levels and prefer the Moderates. Here are some differences:
1. Deluxes have quicker access to the parks than the others. You can reduce this advantage somewhat by renting a car.
2. Deluxes have destination restaurants. Again, renting a car reduces this advantage (plus, visiting a Deluxe for a meal gives you the opportunity to explore that resort's theming).
3. Deluxes have more square footage. This advantage can be completely wiped out by getting two rooms at a Moderate, which nets you over 100 more square feet than with one Deluxe room ... and for less money.
4. Moderates and Values have food courts. This is a great convenience and a major advantage over Deluxes.
5. Moderates and Deluxes have elaborately themed pool areas and waterslides. Values do not.
6. Moderates and Deluxes have boat rentals and other nice amenities. Values do not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom