Did you change Labor Day plans b/c of Katrina devastation?

prberk

Original Poster
I had to drive someone back to Fayetteville, NC, last night (Labor Day), and noticed the traffic on Interstate 95 to be moderate to light. North Carolina's governor had asked many people to stay off the road if not necessary this weekend to help conserve gas. And it seemed to work.

Someone also said that many people cancelled plans for the holiday, because they either felt guilty or wanted to give the funds that they would have spent traveling, to the Red Cross instead.

I just wondered if anyone here changed their Labor Day weekend plans this past weekend as a result of either the possible gas shortage, price increases, or a desire to give to the disaster relief; or either because you did not feel like having fun while so many suffered...

As for me, I was thinking about going to WDW next weekend for the Night of Joy, but I was probably not going anyway... but now I am pretty certainly not going. Mostly due to the gas prices in combination with the thought that I could give that money to the disaster relief, especially since I know a pastor friend who is going with a group that is very efficient in giving out food and water and provides shower facilities. (http://www.vbmb.org/uploads/press/PR-Katrina-090205-1.pdf) I plan to give to them anyway, but things like that give me pause about going to WDW next week...

But I digress. Did anyone change their Labor Day weekend plans?

Paul

darthdarrel

prberk said:
I had to drive someone back to Fayetteville, NC, last night (Labor Day), and noticed the traffic on Interstate 95 to be moderate to light. North Carolina's governor had asked many people to stay off the road if not necessary this weekend to help conserve gas. And it seemed to work.

Someone also said that many people cancelled plans for the holiday, because they either felt guilty or wanted to give the funds that they would have spent traveling, to the Red Cross instead.

I just wondered if anyone here changed their Labor Day weekend plans this past weekend as a result of either the possible gas shortage, price increases, or a desire to give to the disaster relief; or either because you did not feel like having fun while so many suffered...

As for me, I was thinking about going to WDW next weekend for the Night of Joy, but I was probably not going anyway... but now I am pretty certainly not going. Mostly due to the gas prices in combination with the thought that I could give that money to the disaster relief, especially since I know a pastor friend who is going with a group that is very efficient in giving out food and water and provides shower facilities. (http://www.vbmb.org/uploads/press/PR-Katrina-090205-1.pdf) I plan to give to them anyway, but things like that give me pause about going to WDW next week...

But I digress. Did anyone change their Labor Day weekend plans?

Paul
NOpe Did not alter our plans at all, we go to the Cleveland air show every year and we went again this year :)

prberk

Original Poster
LSUxStitch said:
Yup, spent labor day in New Orleans checkint out the damage on my house.

Good answer, Stitch. Sobering. I am still so sorry to hear about your loss.

Did everyone else just do the normal things?

I did get to see the end of the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon, and it was nice to see them sharing the fund-raising time with the Katrina fund drives.

Jerry's final song took on new meaning this year...

When you walk
Through a storm,
Hold your head up high,
And don't be afraid of the dark.

At the end of the storm
Is a golden light,
And trees billow soft
Through the night...

Walk on, through the wind,
Walk on, through the rain...
And you'll never walk alone,
You'll never walk alone...."

There's more, but that is the gist. And, as he cried this year (as he usually does), it just seemed a little more poignant, even as cliched as it is....

Paul

MouseMan

Yup, spent labor day in New Orleans checkint out the damage on my house.

Same here. I went in to check on my house in Kenner. All is well. The tree in my front yard split in two but fell away from my house. A tree in my neighbor's yard fell on my garage but did no damage. Other than that, no damage. We even had power. It looked like a war zone. Most of the trees in my neighborhood, Driftwood Subdivision, were either snapped in half or uprooted. There was some minor damage to roofs and I did not see any water damage. It looks like we lucked out. My heart and prayers go out to those with real losses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom