Did the Epcot Turnstile Test Succeed?

Flswimmer

Original Poster
Alright, so I remember in December when Epcot was testing the new turnstiles, and it even started becoming built in to the tickets. Then it just stopped, and it was torn down. Is RFID still built into the tickets at Epcot? And I'm hoping it comes back. Anyone know anything?

Tom

Beta Return
Alright, so I remember in December when Epcot was testing the new turnstiles, and it even started becoming built in to the tickets. Then it just stopped, and it was torn down. Is RFID still built into the tickets at Epcot? And I'm hoping it comes back. Anyone know anything?

Couldn't tell you if the trial turnstile produced favorable results or not, but it's almost certain that there are RFID chips in all of the KttW cards at this point, especially since Art of Animation will require them to gain access to your room.

Pioneer Hall

The tickets didn't have RFID chips in them. Those who participated in the test had a Mickey sticker put on their ticket that had the chip and was linked to the pass. I think the test did what it needed to do, because this type of entrance is inevitable in the future. It's a way to see how it works and adjust for next time.

Tom

Beta Return
The tickets didn't have RFID chips in them. Those who participated in the test had a Mickey sticker put on their ticket that had the chip and was linked to the pass. I think the test did what it needed to do, because this type of entrance is inevitable in the future. It's a way to see how it works and adjust for next time.

Oh. I didnt realize those guests had different media. I thoutht they were using the embedded MYW on KttW.

G00fyDad

They will eventually move to this new RFID entrance in all of the parks, but the question is when? Nobody really knows yet. I do know that the EPCOT testing of this was an unmitigated disaster at times. So maybe they learned what they needed to learn from that. Personally, I think that we will see a sudden "flip" to RFID tech all over the property soon. Sure, they already use some RFID in areas, but I mean RFID park entrances, RFID room entrances (in ALL resorts), ect... seemingly all at once. I say "seemingly" because I know they cannot literally do it overnight, but I think that it will all happen very fast, and very close to one another. Like RFID park entrances installed at at once, then several weeks later an installation of resort room entrances.

And to answer another question, from what I have seen, they already have embedded RFID in all KttW cards. This is likely the same with the printed park tickets by now too.

Tom

Beta Return
They will eventually move to this new RFID entrance in all of the parks, but the question is when? Nobody really knows yet. I do know that the EPCOT testing of this was an unmitigated disaster at times. So maybe they learned what they needed to learn from that. Personally, I think that we will see a sudden "flip" to RFID tech all over the property soon. Sure, they already use some RFID in areas, but I mean RFID park entrances, RFID room entrances (in ALL resorts), ect... seemingly all at once. I say "seemingly" because I know they cannot literally do it overnight, but I think that it will all happen very fast, and very close to one another. Like RFID park entrances installed at at once, then several weeks later an installation of resort room entrances.

And to answer another question, from what I have seen, they already have embedded RFID in all KttW cards. This is likely the same with the printed park tickets by now too.

They trick will be to watch the permit thread. When they start replacing door hardware at resort rooms, or modify turnstiles, that's when we'll know they're getting serious about using the RFID at a means of access.

G00fyDad

They trick will be to watch the permit thread. When they start replacing door hardware at resort rooms, or modify turnstiles, that's when we'll know they're getting serious about using the RFID at a means of access.

I agree. But I still think that this whole thing will move rapidly once it finally gets going. It seems like they are just testing phases of it so that they can roll it all out at once.

And something else just occurred to me. Why does Disney have to file permits? Didn't they get the wording in the land sale contracts to show that they control their own permits?

Tom

Beta Return
I agree. But I still think that this whole thing will move rapidly once it finally gets going. It seems like they are just testing phases of it so that they can roll it all out at once.

And something else just occurred to me. Why does Disney have to file permits? Didn't they get the wording in the land sale contracts to show that they control their own permits?

It will take a while to change out the door hardware on every single guest room on property. They have to do it when the room is unoccupied. Turnstiles will have to be done sets at a time, overnight.

They file Building Permits with Reedy Creek just like any contractor working in any jurisdiction. Disney isn't exempt from any real-world rules (per se). The ones we see in the Permit Thread are actually called Notices of Commencement and are filed with the county anytime work is done to improve "real property".

Space Mountain

Cast ID's have been converted to RFID

DARR KTTW are RFID

New KTTW will be released next month which will be RFID

During that test, guests who purchased tickets at the Epcot ticket windows were getting an Orange Colored Ticket which was RFID. Anyone else entering Epcot from the left received the RFID stickers to be placed onto their ticket media.

luv

I don't know.

What I do know is that all this technology that is supposed to so über-cool just makes the process of entering the parks longer and more of a hassle than it once was.

It actually used to be fun to enter the parks.

I got a little sticker on my AP, too. Of course, that AP stopped working, so the replacement didn't have the little sticker...but I did get one.

Tom

Beta Return
I don't know.

What I do know is that all this technology that is supposed to so über-cool just makes the process of entering the parks longer and more of a hassle than it once was.

It actually used to be fun to enter the parks.

I got a little sticker on my AP, too.

It was fun when you got your hands stamped with ultraviolet ink. All you did was show them your ticket, get it punched, and get your hand stamped on the way out.

Now, no matter which line you go to, there's SOMEONE in front of you who can't handle the simple task of putting a card in a machine. Have they never used an ATM? I know the bioscan adds to it, but really?

I wish they'd open "Expert Travelers" turnstiles only for those of us who have a card ready in one hand and an index finger extended and ready on the other.

luv

It was fun when you got your hands stamped with ultraviolet ink. All you did was show them your ticket, get it punched, and get your hand stamped on the way out.

Now, no matter which line you go to, there's SOMEONE in front of you who can't handle the simple task of putting a card in a machine. Have they never used an ATM? I know the bioscan adds to it, but really?

I wish they'd open "Expert Travelers" turnstiles only for those of us who have a card ready in one hand and an index finger extended and ready on the other.

Yup. If it isn't people who don't know how to use it, it is the tickets not working or the whole machine not working.

Furthermore, they never have enough staff at the turnstiles to handle the amount of people trying to enter.

It's always a wait. It's always a pain.

Cannot wait to see how much longer And how much more of a pain in the butt this new RFID thing will make it. :hammer:

Slowjack

To be fair, sometimes it's the machine that can't handle the simple task of reading the card, although unlike Fastpass dispensers, I haven't had to watch them take apart a turnstile to get my card back yet.

Tom

Beta Return
To be fair, sometimes it's the machine that can't handle the simple task of reading the card, although unlike Fastpass dispensers, I haven't had to watch them take apart a turnstile to get my card back yet.

That's gotta be a <1% reason. I've never been behind someone whose card actually got stuck in the turnstile. They just can't read, can't figure out how to put the card in, can't comprehend the graphics showing you how to place a finger on the blue light.

Kellylynn322

Yup. If it isn't people who don't know how to use it, it is the tickets not working or the whole machine not working.

Furthermore, they never have enough staff at the turnstiles to handle the amount of people trying to enter.

Cannot wait to see how much longer And how much more of a pain in the butt this new RFID thing will make it. :hammer:

My AP strip deactivates at least 2x a trip. I can use it in the morning and go to use it at another Park in the afternoon and the strip is bad. It's not kept with any other cards, magnets or other suggestions Disney has given me but in my pocket by itself. I hope the RFID chips aren't that sensitive.

luv

My AP strip deactivates at least 2x a trip. I can use it in the morning and go to use it at another Park in the afternoon and the strip is bad. It's not kept with any other cards, magnets or other suggestions Disney has given me but in my pocket by itself. I hope the RFID chips aren't that sensitive.

I know. It's happened to me, too. I tried it all alone in the pocket of my cotton (denim) shorts, too...didn't work when I park hopped. That's when I gave up on their suggestions, lol!

They always try to blame you, but it isn't your fault. :)

G00fyDad

Or the inevitable geniuses that wait to get to the turnstiles before getting their tickets ready, then we get to hear... "D***it! Where are the tickets?! Who has the tickets?! I need the tickets so we can go in!! Oh, there they are in my purse. Just wait!! I'm going as fast as I can!" Then another 2 or 3 minutes of fiddling with the tickets to figure out which direction to put it in the machine because the arrow isn't a big enough clue. And lets not forget the parents who want to let their 5 year old be a "big boy" and use his own ticket instead of putting it in the turnstile for them. :brick:

Slowjack

That's gotta be a <1% reason. I've never been behind someone whose card actually got stuck in the turnstile. They just can't read, can't figure out how to put the card in, can't comprehend the graphics showing you how to place a finger on the blue light.
I've had the machine have trouble reading my card (or my daughter's card, which I feed to keep the line moving) three times in the same trip. Believe me, it happens.

EDIT: to be clear, only Fastpass machines have actually "eaten" my card (this has happened several times). Turnstiles have just held onto the card for a while then spit it out and not let me through.

On another trip, we held up a line because my wife's biometrics wouldn't greenlight. Turns out she was using the wrong hand. You see, my wife is left-handed. Ask her to stick out her hand and she'll stick out her left. But the system is designed for your right hand. She she'd scanned the left index finger and was trying to enter using the right.

Flswimmer

Original Poster
The new magic kingdom structure at the entrance seems like maybe soon this will come to other parks? It's already at or being added to most of the resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom