Did Roy E. Disney resign?

mickey04

Original Poster
I was just at the New York Times homepage and saw a link tot he business section that read "Roy Disney Reportedly Resigns and Urges C.E.O. Eisner to Follow Suit" Naturally, my eyes nearly bulged out of my head and I clicked on it. I couldn't find the story anywhere. I checked the Boston Globe and Google News as well. Naturally, this would be huge, so I'm very curious. Anyone heard anything?
:confused:

MrNonacho

Premium Member
It seems it is true. The Wall Street Journal has a story on it. Here's what's on the Drudge Report:

ROY DISNEY RESIGNS; CALLS ON EISNER TO STEP ASIDE
Sun Nov 30 2003 16:32:17 ET

Walt Disney Co. Vice Chairman Roy E. Disney submitted his resignation from the company board on Sunday and called for Disney Chairman and CEO Michael Eisner to step down from his own positions, the WALL STREET JOURNAL is reporting.

Disney, nephew to the late Walt Disney, sent Eisner a three-page letter severely criticizing his leadership during the past seven years:

'It is my sincere belief that it is you who should be leaving and not me,... Accordingly, I once again call for your resignation or retirement.'

WSJ reporter Bruce Orwall writes that in his letter Disney said that Eisner deserved credit for a successful first decade after taking the helm at Disney in 1984. But he then detailed seven areas in which he said Mr. Eisner has failed the company in the past seven years.

The list of complaints included everything from the performance of the struggling ABC broadcast networks and Disney theme parks to Mr. Eisner's reputation for "micro-management of everyone around you."

The resignation comes in advance of a Disney board meeting this week. Mr. Disney's letter seems to indicate that the Disney board's nominating committee had decided to leave his name off the slate of directors to be elected for the coming year. Mr. Disney also indicated that he would also resign from his position as chairman of Disney feature animation.

A Disney spokeswoman initially declined to comment.

trekkie

I saw this story on Yahoo a few minutes ago and all I can say is FINALLY!

Now I wonder if Eisner "will" finally leave. If he doesn't, and with Roy Disney -- Walt's nephew -- off the board, the media could have a field day.

Somehow, I doubt that'd bode too well with Eisner.

mickey04

Original Poster
The story is finally up on the NY Times website- click here to read it.

All I can say is wow. While I don't think this incident is enough to make Mr. Eisner resign, it will certainly put a lot more attention on him and his "management style." Hopefully, people will realize that if Walt's own nephew no longer feels that the company is run correctly, that big changes are necessary. Can't wait to see what happens.

radioandy

How horribly disgusting! Forcing out Walt's nephew to save your own ______ from increasing criticism is about as low as it gets. I think this point from Roy sums up the situation:

"The perception by all of our stakeholders -- consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers -- that the company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the "quick buck" rather than long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust."

Isn't this Concern Number One that Disney fans have posting here for years? Dumbo clone rides, carnie rides, poorly conceived movies, scaling back employees, scaling back CM training...all at the heart of the current corporate mentality that "we grab all the cash we can today and screw tomorrow."
About as un-Disney as it gets.

trekkie

"While Roy's complaints are, I'm sure, heartfelt and he's serious about it, he just doesn't carry as much weight as he used to in the company," said Harold Vogel of Vogel Capital Management in New York.
This is a quote from yet another article on Roy's comments. To me, it's a bunch of garbage and implies the sorry state of things today. While it may be true, what this quote implies is a total, complete and utter lack of respect for morals, principles and ideals within the company. Anybody over the age of 15 who hasn't been living in a cave knows that Disney has practically seperated itself from the ideals, morals and principles set forth by Walt Disney and proudly maintained until Frank Wells untimely death and Eisner's "complete" takeover in 1995.
I am "completely" fed up & beyond -- way beyond -- angry; and will continue to fight the good fight; and hope to God that Disney someday retains its dignity.

trekkie

It is really sad. Why there are still fans who support Eisner is beyond me.
And the fact that under 300 people are in Preserve the Magic (a link to join is in my signature) is a sad testament as to how the company has "brainwashed" gulliblle people. People that maintain a "Disney can do no wrong" mindset. People who embraced DCA from day one. Pople who adore every single animated sequel and who buy every single DVD that Disney releases.
It pains me to no end. I grew up on Disney; I've read about Walt Disney & watched history television shows on him, Disneyland & WDW; and the state of the company today is just so sad to watch.

bigbadwolf

I have noticed a Dramatic change from 1990-today.
-Animal Kingdom opened but all that wasted space! Most of it is shops! Its a money pit!
-Too Many New Resorts
-Poor CMs and more RUDE ones
-Higher Food Cost
-The movie Movie Quality gets worse and worse!!! Anybody remember Dinosaur?!? or Its a bugs life?? or all the stupid siquels!
-Crappy Dinosaur amusement park idea for DinoLand USA "Its a money pit"
-Ive noticed broken Water Fountains and constant construction
-Classic Disney Rides closed! Especially ones we loved... Mr.Toads wild ride!! 20,000 Leagues under the sea! Imagination! Herizons! And now Alien Encounter!
-They still have River Country CLOSED!
-Plans for removing the classic Space Ship Earth!?!
-They wasted there money to rebuild Imagination 2 times!? why didnt they leave it alone?!?
-The giant Mickey Hand on spaceship Earth cost so much they need to leave it up there.
-They removed the old glass statue in the fountain at Epcot?
-Copies of Dumbo?EXAMPLE-Alladin's Magic Carpet- And if you didnt know the camels are from a old MGM studios parade!
-I recall more Characters outside greating kids! Looking at home movies from 1992 i see a decrease of characters in random places. You can only see them in meeting places or Restaurants.
-The rebuilding of Mickeys ToonTown! A Farm to a Fair?!? what??!
I noticed more outside comercial products-TOT gift shop is more filled up with skull tees you can find from hot topic.
-Indy ride copy to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom!
-MGM studios copied to other locations! BS!
-Too much money for Califofnia Adventure! Has nothing todo with Disney Characters! Its just another locations to copy rides from WDW to there!

Sorry if im bragging... but really... Some of you have to see it right in front of you. Roy is right... Eisner HAS to go.

trekkie

I agree wholeheartedly.
Two things, though: A Bug's Life is Pixar, not Disney. In fact, that's another thing: when Pixar and Eisner part, oh god, I don't even wanna speculate...

As for the characters at Disneyland and the MK ... as years wore on, they'd get abused by rowdy teenagers. Sad but true. I have actually seen them at times walking around Disneyland, but only with at least a couple CM's; and only short distances, such as in Toontown or, say, outside of Splash Mountain.

mickey04

Original Poster
bigbadwolf, while I agree with some of your ideas, others I'm not so sure about: (BTW, sorry for such a long reply)
I have noticed a Dramatic change from 1990-today.
-Animal Kingdom opened but all that wasted space! Most of it is shops! Its a money pit!
Ak certainly opened with a lack of rides compared to the other parks. But to call it a waste of space or money pit is unfair. Its a stunningly beautiful park with great rides and much room for future expansion. (remember, MGM only opened with two rides!)
-Too Many New Resorts
Maybe, maybe not. Disney wants to capitalize on people coming to WDW by having them stay on property. It makes sense. Are there too many currently to fill all of the rooms. Yes, but as the travel market picks up that may not be the case.
-Poor CMs and more RUDE ones
I agree that CMs should be treated with more respect and better trained. However, I do feel that there are still far more good CMs than rude ones.
-Higher Food Cost
Not only that, everything at WDW is overpriced! Its definately gotten worse over the years.
-The movie Movie Quality gets worse and worse!!! Anybody remember Dinosaur?!? or Its a bugs life?? or all the stupid siquels!
For the most part Disney animation has slipped since 1994. I do think they've had some good movies like Lilo and Stich (and the Pixar movies), but other than a few bright spots, Disney animation is in rough shape. (which will NOT be helped by Eisner closing WDFA Florida and moving away from hand drawn animation- it is now and has always been all about the story!)
-Crappy Dinosaur amusement park idea for DinoLand USA "Its a money pit"
I agree completely. Chester and Hester's is an embarrassement to AK.
-Ive noticed broken Water Fountains and constant construction
There's no excuse for the lack of upkeep in the parks (i.e. the water fountains, but the constant construction is part of Disney's ongoing evolution and betterment of its themeparks (as Walt wanted.)
-Classic Disney Rides closed! Especially ones we loved... Mr.Toads wild ride!! 20,000 Leagues under the sea! Imagination! Herizons! And now Alien Encounter!
We have to accept the fact that Disney is going to replace older attractions (Mr. Toad, Horizons, AE, etc.) It is when they remove an attraction and don't replace it (i.e. 20,000 Leagues) that really annoys me.
-They still have River Country CLOSED!
I agree, they have no real reason to keep it closed (especially since the prices of Park Hopper PLUS tickets have gone up, but now offer one less waterpark).
-Plans for removing the classic Space Ship Earth!?!
I think that's pretty much dead- its just too hard to replace the ride without damaging the structural integrety of the geosphere.
-They wasted there money to rebuild Imagination 2 times!? why didnt they leave it alone?!?
This was a mistake of not investing enough money to make a great new attraction. I agree that if they they weren't going to invest enough to make a better ride, they should have just left it the way it was.
-The giant Mickey Hand on spaceship Earth cost so much they need to leave it up there.
I don't think the price was that big for a huge conglomerate like Disney. I say take it down ASAP!
-They removed the old glass statue in the fountain at Epcot?
Not really sure why they did that, but it looked much better with it.
-Copies of Dumbo?EXAMPLE-Alladin's Magic Carpet- And if you didnt know the camels are from a old MGM studios parade!
No arguments here.
-I recall more Characters outside greating kids! Looking at home movies from 1992 i see a decrease of characters in random places. You can only see them in meeting places or Restaurants.
I think that was for the good of the characters, but I'm not really sure. I also think it caused bottlenecks in certain areas of the parks. However, I've still seen characters out and about in the parks (not like before though.)
-The rebuilding of Mickeys ToonTown! A Farm to a Fair?!? what??!
Never really bothered me. I do think they should redo Tooontown to make it as detailed as the one in DL, though.
I noticed more outside comercial products-TOT gift shop is more filled up with skull tees you can find from hot topic.
I don;t think most people would notice this (I know I never have). I always found Disney Park Merchandise to be amazing.
-Indy ride copy to Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom!
So they used the smae ride system- the experiences are completely different. Its like comparing Pirates to Small World because they're both boat rides!
MK is a copy of DL.
-Too much money for Califofnia Adventure! Has nothing todo with Disney Characters! Its just another locations to copy rides from WDW to there!
I think not enough money was spent making DCA, and thet's why its such a disaster today.

bigbadwolf

Originally posted by mickey04
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MK is a copy of DL.

I meant more of France getting MGM. They have armageddon? we dont? I know the Stunt Show is coming... but seperating the parks to other places like Europe just bothers me... Why doesnt Disney spend thier money on opening another kingdom up where i live... New York? It would save a bundle of money for traveling. When California Adventure opened... That got me angry. Wasting more money and not thinking about places to build new parks in more popualted areas where people can get to, instead of traveling 1000s of miles to get there. I think California Adventure is just a WDW transfer for people who live in California. Yes, Califonia Adventure has other new rides. But copying TOT and Rocken Roller Coaster is ridiculus. They should Expand with NEW "Creative Ideas" Like ive said before, do we all agree Disney could of opened a better alladin ride? How about a virtual inside coaster of a trip through the Cave of Wonders? Calling it California Adventure is like calling a theme park up here in New York, New York Adventure! "Wu-who! Wow what a brilliant idea!"-sarcasim.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom