Did Richard Petty Experience today!!!

Yoop33

Original Poster
IT WAS AWESOME!!! The cars, the people, the track, and training, everything was awesome. Except the price. I told someone today at the SSR gym that I had done this today and he said he did not feel like spending another $100 on his trip. I had to tell him it was 4 times that amount and he wasn't to happy.
Anyway, the whole experience was pretty cool. The only problem was that the car just didn't go fast enough!!! I was expecting maybe 150mph to be safe for everyone but my top speed was ONLY 122MPH!!!!!!!! I was so upset. The problem was that I had to ride behind an instructer who wouldn't let me pass. I was on his butt the whole time that he had to tell me to back off 2 times. I was expecting to go a lot faster cause I have been up to 180 in a BMW M3 before with no problem!.
Other then the speed I was pretty impressed with everything. To the average driver, I highly recommend it greatly

Yoop33

Original Poster
I did the Rookie Experience I guess. I did not do the ride along but I did drive the car by myself. I went solo but was behind the instructor the whole time.

tigger248

That's awesome! I want to do this so bad, but until I get finished with college (one more semester! Woo Hoo!), I have to wait.

From what I've heard, some of the other NASCAR tracks allow the cars to go faster. Speed varies by track. A friend of mine from work (she's my racin' buddy!) did it at Daytona. She said they went faster than what you'd do at the mile to mile and a half tracks (more like superspeedway speeds, though I'm sure they are still restricted to be slower than normal). All I know is that I told her that I really want to do it at WDW and she recommended Daytona over WDW because the speed is better.

bhg469

Do a track day at a local road course, 100x better than turning left @ any speed. Heck even a shifter cart would get into the 80-90 mph range and 80 mph 2 inches off the ground is pretty thrilling. BTW what was done to that M3 you drove to make it so fast? it sounds interesting..

Epcot82Guy

mrneon606 said:
Hmmm I was doing a forum search for arrogance and it brought me to your post...:wave:

Um... who/what was that directed to?

Anyway, congrats on the Petty Drive. I've heard it's a pretty cool thing, especially for people without any experience like that. My dad did the one at Daytona and loved it when we were younger. Wanted to go when we were at Disney but couldn't fit it in (and my mom had a little bit tougher of a time allowing two price tags for that).

jmvd20

mrneon606 said:
Hmmm I was doing a forum search for arrogance and it brought me to your post...:wave:

Uhhhh, um, Ya, like this one time... at band camp

Anyway, I've thought about doing the driving experience before but never have. I may have to try it in a few weeks when I go back to the world. Do you need reservations for it or just show up? Glad you had a good time there.

Nansafan

A friend did the driving experience up here in the Chicago area, Route 66 Speedway in Joliet, IL. That is the way it works here, you take the class and drive behind an instructor. He did 8 laps and hit a top speed of 139 mph. It was really a great time. He had 30 people there cheering him on. The price you quoted sounds about the same as up here. Glad you had a great time!

hedgewick

My husband and I did it in Charlotte. He drove and I did the ride along which was enough for me. You have to drive a standard and I never learned. It was cool though becasue I was in the M&M car which I always thought had a cute paint scheme. We had a lot of fun! If you ever go to Charlotte and are a NASCAR fan most of the race shops are right in the area and it s really interesting to go and see them. DEI is just outside the area but totally worth finding it. HUGE place with a nice museum-style display area. I went to Charlotte when jerry Nadeau was driving. I was a huge fan so it was cool to go to his shop and see the cars being built. Too bad he isn't driving anymore :(. Maybe someday I'll do the petty ride at Disney too!

bhg469

jmvd20 said:
Uhhhh, um, Ya, like this one time... at band camp

Anyway, I've thought about doing the driving experience before but never have. I may have to try it in a few weeks when I go back to the world. Do you need reservations for it or just show up? Glad you had a good time there.

Maybe someone should PM that guy and ask him to explain....

This summer i am palnning on taking a few classes at beaverun in PA. There are alot of different classes to improve your performance and if anyone is serious about driving i highly suggest you do it at one of these type of schools. They even have something called the 007 expierience where you use their cars to evade "bad guys" and breaching blockades"

They call it 007 i call it bank robbery getaway 101

bgraham34

I was actually going to do this with my friend last year, but we found out you only did 122 and you had to drive behind the instructor so we passed.

kcnole

lol at only doing 122. Considering I've never done more than 90 I'm sure that would be thrilling for me. However the cost is way too much so until I hit it big I'll be passing on this.

Yoop33

Original Poster
They did mention that some of the other tracks will let you go a lot faster. although for some of the people this speed was planty fast. I think the next speed trip I would like to do would be flying a fighter plane or something like that.
As for the BMW M3.... There was nothing special done. The only thing that seemed funny to me was that you cannot reach higher then 150 (I think) in sixth gear but you an reach about 180 in 5th. Aparantly 6th has a governer on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom